Work Holiday Pass Quota Filled

Hello.
I applied for the Work Holiday Pass mid-may and I just received an email about two days ago telling me that the 2000 person quota for the WHP has been filled. Vacancies could open everyday and the MOM will process applications on a rolling basis.

The problem is that I have an internship that is supposed to start on the 25th of this month. I can delay the internship, but I can only do it so much. Can any of you guys anticipate based on past trends how long this could take?

Also, does anyone know what usually how long training employment passes take to get processed? It says within three weeks, but does anyone know if it can take significantly shorter?

I informed you in private mail where you had asked me the same that you need to spend some time to go through the open threads where we have already discussed about a similar case (given you the category link).

Below link is for your reference:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=778567

I did not find some of these topics addressed in any of the forums, so I decided to start a new thread and bring them to light.

The WHP is not meant for people like you, who have a job lined up in Singapore - it is for young and adventurous folks who travel to Singapore and look for odd jobs there.
You should apply for a Training Employment Pass or a Training Work Permit instead.
However, it is not likely that you get all that done within the few days left until your planned starting date. Thus you should ask your employer to delay the programme.

First of all, I am a university student in America.

Second, you are wrong. You can work in Singapore on the WHP for internships.

Of course it is allowed to work on WHP in any job, incl. internships.
I just said that the WHP is meant to combine holidays and work (thus the name) and not for what you have in mind.
In any case, you did not get one - and I told you the alternatives.

No, I am still able to get one with vacancies being opened daily, hence what my posts says about waiting time.

How would you even know what I have in mind based on my post?

Well, there can only be 2000 WHV at any one time - which is not a large number. Apparently, for the dates you requested, the quota is filled.
The internal workings of MoM (which processes applications) are unknown to us, but simple logic and some assumptions tell us the following:
- There seems to be a waiting list of applicants that get a WHV once another one is cancelled.
- You don't know how many are in front of you on the waiting list, neither how many visas are typically cancelled - therefore you have no indication about your chances.
- I would assume somebody who was granted a WHV and cannot travel (for whatever reason) would most likely not cancel it, but wait and see whether he/she can travel on a later date. And somebody who leaves Singapore within WHV validity period might also not cancel it, but hope that he can return at a later date (e.g. once he finds another job, as financial considerations make it attractive to spend the "work" portion in Singapore and the "holiday" elsewhere). Thus I expect the cancellation rate to be low. Don't put much hopes onto this!
However, the small number of WHV means we don't have first- (or even second-)hand experience and the above are speculations. You may be lucky, but do you want to depend on luck for your internship?

Note: Please come back here and report your progess, so we do have more actual information about the process and can better advice the next inquirer.

Fair enough.
Do you know how long the TEP would take?
It says three weeks but have you heard of it commonly taking less than that?

Never less than that, usually 1 - 2 months.
(Again, this is based on very few data points, as TEP is also not common.)

1-2 months or 3 weeks? Wording of your response is a little ambiguous.

My answer is as ambiguous as the data it is coming from.
Here is a recent thread where it has taken less than three weeks:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=781725
Another one where it took at least a month (and the poster never came back to tell us whether and when it was approved):
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=768815
And here over three months:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=582194

It's not ambiguous, rather truth about how the things works at MoM. It's upto you “Ripley's Believe it or not”.

Best case, you can get in 2 weeks of time from the submission of your application but it's impossible now as quota of 2000 is filled up, then the waiting time will be stretched to an unknown territory (we don't know when it will open up as MoM doesn't publish it nor it's available in its website).

So, now you hope it will open up ASAP, then your application will be in the review list. After then you may hope for two weeks at best to receive an approval. Good luck

That makes no sense why it would take an additional two weeks for them to process the application. My app has been under review since the 17th of May. But I was just notified of the quota filling up a few days ago.

According to your original message above, MoM wrote:
"Vacancies could open everyday and the MOM will process applications on a rolling basis."
That means your application is added to the waiting list and will be processed as soon as an empty slot becomes available.
This might not be what you want to hear, but is in line with the legendary efficiency of Singapore's officialdom: Why should they process (or even have a closer look at) your application if it is clear that it cannot be approved due to the WHV quota?

Have neither of you guys heard of the quota being filled?

As we wrote above, the small number of available WHV and the fact that not many of the applicants come to this forum means it is probably the least discussed visa type here.
If you want more than circumstantial evidence given by volunteers outside of the immigration system, them call MoM and ask directly - they may or may not give you an answer.
(And if you get any information from them, please post it here to help others in the future. This forum is meant as mutual exchange, not one-way communication!)

Hi everyone ,
i also have same consideration. My internship in Singapore starts in the beginning of August,I also need to apply for WHP . However, i also see on MOM website indicating that 2000 places are filled, so i a little bit worry. Should i apply for WHP now or wait for a few weeks , when they open more vacancies and apply. Actually  i can delay my internship until mid of August if needed,but i need to acquire this WHP.

Due to the low numbers of WHP given, there is no guarantee that you will get one in time for your internship, or ever.
If you and/or the employer want to have some certainty, better apply for TEP or TWP instead.

Just got accepted! :-)

Good thing I didn't withdraw my WHP pass and apply for TEP!

Congratulations - and thanks for coming back here to tell us about it!

Where do you get the IMM27?

TheAvidAlchemist wrote:

Where do you get the IMM27?

What is an “IMM27”???

Edited to add: I just googled it and found it is the standard embarcation/disembarcation card.
You get it in the plane and at the immigration counter on arrival.

It says in the IPA letter that I need to have the IMM27 ready when I ask them to issue the WHP.
I'm assuming they give that at the airport when I arrive.

It says in the IPA letter that the IMM27 is known as the "Immigration White Card".

Yes, as a tourist or visitor or IPA approved employment pass employee, on your arrival you need to declare a white paper embarkation that you do have clean records and other necessary information. Immigration officer will stamp on it for 30 days validation to stay in Singapore then hand over to you, which you need keep that card and submit to MoM at the time of your visit (HR or agency who collects your documents & submit at MoM before your appointment to visit).

Do they give you the white paper embarkation when you arrive? Or do you have to specifically ask for it.

This stamped paper is the IMM27, correct?

It's mandatory, the air hostesses will ask if anyone doesn't have valid Employment Pass card or not a PR or a Singapore citizen, then he or she has to collect the white embarkation Form from them then submit at the immigration checkpoint.

I am coming on the WHP.

When I go to the immigration center before I enter singapore, I need to show them my IPA(which is signed) and my declaration?

Or do I just show them my IPA?

No idea. What declaration do you mean? Isn't this mentioned on the IPA?

Yes. In the email that said I was accepted into the WHP, it came with the IPA and the declaration

Show both as immigration officer will be required to verify your IPA letter and the detailed declaration. Welcome to Singapore!

On the IMM27 card, it says to put "Last City/Port of Embarkation Before Singapore" and "Next City/ Port of Disembarkation After Singapore".

Since I am going to arrive in Singapore from San Francisco. Would San Francisco be the "Last City/Port of Embarkation Before Singapore"?

When I leave Singapore I will be flying to the same city as well. Does this mean San Francisco would also be the "Next City/Port of Disembarkation After Singapore"?

Yes, you are right.

Okay.

So for the immigration center and to enter Singapore I need:

IPA Letter printed out
Declaration letter printed out
IMM27
Passport

^^^This is all for people coming on Work Holiday Pass

Also, there is a section that says Flight No/Vessel Name/ Vehicle No.

Lets say I am flying with United Airlines and the plane number is 17.

Would I Just fill in UA 17?

Have you never before crossed an international border? These things are more or less the same everywhere.
You are worrying too much about the tiny details!

No. I haven't even been on a plane in 10+ years.
I think I have the right to worry.
Thanks

Yes, you are correct. You should mention your flight number.