Hi Everyone!

I'm looking forward to moving to Cuenca by the end of the year. Yet I have a few concerns. I currently work at home (California) selling educational software via a VOIP application that requires high speed internet access and I'd like to continue doing this in Cuenca.

Yet I've heard rumors that the internet in Cuenca is erratic and slow, and that wouldn't work for me. Does anyone know the details about how I could avail myself to a solid internet service there?

In addition, I want to teach English as a second language at one of the language schools, but from what I gather so far, there is more of this type of work available at Quito. Is that correct?

Although I'm no spring chicken, I'm still need to work to make a living. I hear the pay for teaching English in Ecuador is pretty skimpy. I would appreciate anyone's feedback and appreciate your support!

Thanks,
Robin Rose

Hi Robin Rose,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I hope other members will be able to advise you.

Wish you good luck
Christine

Hi, we are moving to Ecuador in June so I don't know about the high speed internet issue. However as far as the teaching positions you might keep searching online. I found some schools don't advertise it seems but I found listings here and there but you have to look. This is not an ad for "International Living" newsletter please understand - but wanted to mention it because there is a lot of good info there. Lots of good links and job ideas. I found the more I dug online the more I found, it not obvious at times about job opportunities and so on.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the information! You're right about the importance of continuing my research online. However, I've heard multiple versions about the pros and cons of Cuenca running the gamut from the weather to the price of a whole chicken.

So I will keep doing my research. One thing that is very clear is that Cuenca looks like it's utterly charming something like a Latin Prague.