Moving to Cuenca - 3 Weeks to go!!!

I am going to be moving to Cuenca from NYC in 3 weeks and freaking out!!!  I have so many questions and I'm hoping that some of you might know the answers.  For what it's worth, I am bilingual and a dual national (have lived in NYC my whole life though).  So any advice with those considerations would be much appreciated =)

I have arranged for a stay in a hotel for two weeks in the hopes that I can find an apartment (and furnish it - at least a bed - by then).  Is this a reasonable amount of time? 

How important is it to carry a cedula on you, is it like a social security card (leave it at home for when you need it) or more like a driver's license? Also, is it easier to get one at the consulate here or at the office in Cuenca?

Are there any tips on buying common household kitchen items like pots and pans, blenders, plates, silverware, bedding, towels etc...Is this stuff I should bring? 

Internet help, Magic Jack, recommended VPN service?

I'm also going to be looking for work, I have a TESOL certificate and a BA in Literature, so I'm hoping to find some sort of job tutoring or teaching English/Spanish.  Is there much of a private market, if you guys know?

Oooof, I know that's a lot, but since I will be in town soon, I figure I should put it all out there =)  Thanks so much!!!!

Hello

I have a few answers

yes bring quality cookware. Stuff here is very light weight  The towels and sheets are very thin; bring those. We had boxes full of such items which we shipped via the airlines. 100 pound boxes hold up; got them from Staples. Follow the airlines dimensions and keep them under 50 lbs

Have you done the fingerprints for the FBI report and gathered the docs to get a cedula already?

MagicJack is pretty good here

Best of luck

ChristieV

I think you need to tap the brakes and take a deep breath.  It appears you might be jumping into relocating without proper planning and will find yourself having to return to the U.S. to complete important steps.  When you say you are "dual national" are you saying you are already a lawful citizen of Ecuador? Ecuador does not simply let people enter their country and live there (only the U.S. does that).  Other than entering on a tourist visa, you need to fit your situation into one of the grounds for permanent residency in Ecuador and, if you qualify, figure out the preparatory steps (e.g., background check and fingerprinting, etc.) that might be best done in the U.S. before moving. I'd read every post by cccmedia to learn what you need to do. Obviously, if you're a citizen of Ecuador, ignore my comments.

Thanks, guys, for the responses.  Yes, quality cookware and nice sheets and towels are what home should feel like, and I do like my comfort!  Thanks, ChristieV. Good to know... I am looking into renting an apartment and it is so difficult to see what is standard in Cuenca.  I am hoping to find something in the 1 -2 bedroom range, and of course, reasonably priced. 

Sawman, you are right - there is an overwhelming amount of pertinent visa/residency information provided on this forum, but I am in a singular position of already having a cedula #, I just don't have a physical card.  Is this something that you need to carry around with you all the time, for identification purposes, or do you just need the number as is the case with SS cards in the US?

I will also be looking for work teaching either English and Spanish, so if there are any teachers or tutors doing this sort of work, I would really like to know more of what to expect, how to find work and networking opportunities. 

In 3 weeks time I will be sharing the equatorial sunshine with you all, the preparation and anticipation kills!