Moving to Puerto Rico

I am looking to move to Puerto Rico for a gap year in between highschool and college. I currently live in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I will be staying in Puerto Rico from the Summer of 2019 to the Summer 2020. My plan is to find a place to stay that will not cost me a lot of money outside of San Juan and work inside of the city for a local business. I know what I want to do once I get to Puerto Rico (it is all in my bio) but I still need to find a way to go about it all. I signed up for this site so that I could get connected in Puerto Rico. I wish to get connected specifically with people living close to or in San Juan who can help me. If anyone can help me get set up or provide me with any information that would further my process of moving to Puerto Rico, please do.

Sent you a PM

There are not a lot of jobs in PR and unless you also speak Spanish the number of places where you can work is further limited. While in mainland US unemployment is around 4.2% or lower, in PR unemployment runs around 15%. The plan does not sound realistic.

Check this site, you are still a year away so they wont be available but it does give you an example as to what you may be able to find:
http://www.clasificadosonline.com/UDRen … -+Busqueda

Those low, low prices, check, they may be per night.

WARNING: most apartments in PR have no furniture and some don't even have a refrigerator or stove, typically electricity and water are not included, but some include water. So all of those are bills and expenses. Electricity is twice as much per KWH as in the states.

If you do find a job it is likely to be part time and pay is likely to be 7.25 an hour or less.

Maybe being part of a work away program where you get room and board for an exchange of work.   Many people on the island cant find work.  The unemployment before the hurricane was higher then any state in the U.S.
Go online and use the search engine to find the work away program
Personally for me i would never live near rhat parr of pr

I saw a post here from a member who gave the name and number of a customer rep from either Wayfair or Overstock (can't remember which) who can help push through an order with a shipping address of Puerto Rico, even when the item doesn't show shipping to PR -- at extra cost, of course.

Can anyone direct me to that post? I meant to write down the info, but lost the post before I had a chance to.

lgustaf wrote:

Can anyone direct me to that post? I meant to write down the info, but lost the post before I had a chance to.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=745289

Tusen tak, Warner. -- That's Swedish, BTW.

I've met waiters in San Juan who don't speak Spanish. They're the only ones though (outside of a few feds).

Just to clarify, I do speak Spanish academically and can understand it. I am going into my fifth year of Spanish next year and I have been taking the advanced classes. This trip would be more so that I could learn to speak it more naturally with native Spanish speakers.

Thats awesome but many words here arent traditional spainish.