Immigrating to Turkey - Does anyone know requirements and process?

I am a canadian citizen currently living in Dubai. I am planning to buy an apartment in Turkey and use it as a vacation home, plus i love Istanbul and at some point soon my plan is to be based out of there.

I have a few questions though i havent been able to sort out.

1) does anyone know the immigration/permanent residence process? My employment will most likely still be outside Turkey, and thats why i cant get a work visa. The plan is to buy an apartment there.

2) In this situation does anyone know what i should be aware of when it comes to sending money to turkey, timing (should i wait to receive some kind of migrant status), regulatory restrictions on sending $'s, opening bank accounts, etc.

3) Will i be able to apply for immigration and then buy an apartment, or can i buy the apartment even as a non resident? I am ok with owning it as a non-resident, since for now i dont see myself spending more than half my time in turkey thus i can be there on a visit visa, but probably makes sense to get immigration/residence if i own property there.

4) Is there some minimum investment required to get residence?

Thanks.

HI ZANKY, you can buy apartment and take residency for long time. First come choose your location, rest is easy. Welcome !

Hi, zankyy,

I'm Chinese living in Alanya, a small Mediterranean city.  Several thousand foreigners buy apartments here.I bought one in 2016. So i can give you some first-hand info:

1) does anyone know the immigration/permanent residence process? My employment will most likely still be outside Turkey, and thats why i cant get a work visa. The plan is to buy an apartment there.

Yes, you can get a short-term residence permit in Turkey after buying a apartment. After living for 8 years, you can apply for permanant residence.

2) In this situation does anyone know what i should be aware of when it comes to sending money to turkey, timing (should i wait to receive some kind of migrant status), regulatory restrictions on sending $'s, opening bank accounts, etc.

After you pay the full price and get the Tapu(title deed), you can open a bank account, buy a car, etc.  as for as i know, there's no regulatory restrictions on sending money.(normally money is paid in Euro or US dollar).  no foreign exchange control in Turkey.

3) Will i be able to apply for immigration and then buy an apartment, or can i buy the apartment even as a non resident? I am ok with owning it as a non-resident, since for now i dont see myself spending more than half my time in turkey thus i can be there on a visit visa, but probably makes sense to get immigration/residence if i own property there.

Yes, you can buy one as a non resident.

No

by the way, i recommend Alanya if you want a apartment for vocation. it's one of  the best places in the world. Many foreigners here.

hope this may be helpful

if you want to know more, pls email me at ***

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details for your own security

Thank you so much for the detailed response! if you don't mind i'll certainly take you up on the offer to get in touch with you as i really haven't managed to find anyone to help out with this yet. I even got referred to two lawyers and neither was helpful.
I am planning to buy in istanbul, and already chose the area and a short list of properties.

Just a quick question, is there such a thing as 18% VAT on first time commercial or residential property? I was reading an online blog and they mentioned somethign like that but i've never heard of it before. would certainly increase the price of a property!

thanks. will observe this rule

I am a canadian citizen currently living in Dubai. I am planning to buy an apartment in Turkey and use it as a vacation home, plus i love Istanbul and at some point soon my plan is to be based out of there.

I have a few questions though i havent been able to sort out.

You have to apply for residence permit first and have to extend after the first residence permit expired. You need to stay in Turkey continuously for 8 years in order to get permanent residence in Turkey on the condition that you should stay in Turkey at least 6 months.

You can open a bank account before applying reidence permit and you can transfer your money from abroad to you bank account in Turkey.

No need to have a residence permit to buy an apartment. When you buy an apartment, you will be eligible to apply for residency. There is no problem with visiting visa, but you must not exceed your visa expiry date before the application.

No, There is no minimum investment for residency. But, if you are planning in future to become a citizen, you should buy a house or property worth 300,000 USD not soldable for 3 years.

****[/color]

Thanks.

Moderated by Christine 5 years ago
Reason : please share your contact via your private message system. Thank you.

You have to apply for residence permit first and have to extend after the first residence permit expired. You need to stay in Turkey continuously for 8 years in order to get permanent residence in Turkey on the condition that you should stay in Turkey at least 6 months

thanks. you mean you should stay in Turkey at least 6 months a year(without interrupt?), continuously for 8 years?

After you get the permanent residence, is it valid forever?

What I mean is that you have to stay 6 months a year in Turkey without going out and 8 years like that, each year 6 months.

After you get PR, it is forever, you can go out any time. Apart from that, if you work continuously or have a company operating for 5 years with the necessary requirements, you can apply for citizenship also.

Best regards

I would be pleased to assist. Prices for flats do not include VAT. If you buy a property for a company, then you should pay VAT in order to get the invoice. Actual amounts at the registry office is now shown.

thank you very much for you replay.