Requirements to register as a freelance worker

Hi - I've been searching the forum for any information by people who have registered as freelancers. I'm not an EU citizen, but I have bought a house near Varna.
I know you have to register with the relevant authority, the Bulgarian National Employment Agency, but beyond submitting a detailed plan of your activities, is there anything else you need to prepare?
I'd love to hear from someone who has been through the process.
Thanks!

I don't have much experience with this but I did register as a professional freelancer for a short time when I had my own business for tax purposes.  I am a teacher and in BG there is a list of professions which could register under this category.  The best person to ask would probably be an accountant.  By the way, the process was very easy. One form handed in to NAP.

Regards,
Luna

The procedure for registering as freelancer in general is in the BULSTAT registrar. The registrar is in the same authority where the trade Registrar is located. After registration they will provide you with unique identification number, which is for tax purposes. Just fill in the application your freelance activity, but keep in mind that not all activities will be considered freelance, soand thar they can refuse you registration.
This procedure is different than the procedure one explained before. The procedure in NRA or NAP is for EU national who are getting something like social security number with which they can be employed by a company, they can pay social securities and acquire benefits if needed.

Thank you - where can one get the form? Or do you have to be in Bulgaria to do it?

You have two options electronically, but you'll have to possess an electronic signature, if you don't have a signature you can authorize lawyer to submit your application.
The second option is to submit the application and necessary documents in the trade registrar.
www.bulstat.bg is the web site of the register.

Hello,

My husband is Canadian and would like to stay in Bulgaria for 1 year. IN order to stay  longer than 90 days he is suppose to have visa D obtained from Canada.But he doesn't have one as we don't have time to get one - we are leaving in a month! Do any of you know if once a non EU person register as a freelancer worker then he can apply for a long stay permit that way avoiding the whole visa D process? Thanks!

By the way, the process was very easy. One form handed in to NAP.

Hi there, I am just going through the process of registering as a freelancer now, but it seems a lot more complicated than just one form! One website says I need Bulgarian level of B1 or above and at least 2 years experience in the freelancing activity.  However, the lawyers I am dealing with have not mentioned these things to me.  Is this actually true or not? Hard to find straight answers.

legefocus.com/blog/how-to-obtain-a-freelancer-permit-for-bulgaria

It also says I need a detailed financial plan, but I don't know how to get that done, so I might need an accountant to help.  It's all a bit confusing.

Do you have a Bulgarian ID card ? and a work permit ??

So according to the "Foreigners in the Republic of Bulgaria Act" you can get your long-term residency (VISA D) if you want to freelance. Here's the excerpt:

"Art. 24a. (New, SG 42/01; amend., SG 112/01, amend. - SG 33/16, in force from 21.05.2016)
(1) Permission for extended stay or a long-stay visa shall be given to foreigners who want to carry out free -
lance activity and who meet the requirements to obtain permission to conduct freelance activity pursuant to the
Labour migration and labour mobility Act.
(2) For the issuance of documents under par. 1 the following documents shall be submitted to the
diplomatic and consular missions, respectively to the services for administrative control of foreigners:
1. application form;
2. permission to carry out free-lance activity, issued by the bodies of the Ministry of Labour and
Social Policy.
(3) Long-stay visa for the purpose of carrying out free-lance activity shall not be issued to a
foreigner in the cases under Art. 24, para. 1, items 1-13 and items 16-20"

It all hinges on permission from the Ministry of Labour an Social Policy. I've been having trouble getting all these requirements. One of the big hurdles I've read about is that you need to be B1 proficient in Bulgarian to apply for this.

Anyone know a bit more about it?

Yes, it is true you need level B1 or higher. Here is how to get the permission for freelancing:

https://www.az.government.bg/pages/izda … -bulgaria/

see :
to be freelancer :

https://translate.google.com/translate? … ;sandbox=1

social contributions:
see Contributions for self-employed workers here :

https://translate.google.com/translate? … garie.html

you must pay social cotisations only between 640 BG to 3000 BGN of your revenues monthly

taxes for revenues :
4 % for agriculture sector
6 % for copyright and license sector (even program and softwre I believe)
9 % for real estate income
else 7,5 %