Expat presence in Quy Nhon

Regarding coffee in Quy Nhon ... look for the word espresso anywhere and you will get the European kind.

Marina coffee has HOT cafe latte.

Lovely building (opposite Coop) I want to live on the top floor.

SongwriterUK wrote:

I cannot find a Quy Nhon section so I will post here.

Where the heck can I buy decent bread in Quy Nhon?

I have looked everywhere and it is all sugary, white, bleached rubbish.

Mega Mart was no-go as were Coop and Big C

Were you looking for whole grain baguettes at the Big C?
I saw them in some Big Cs in Saigon.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's either white bread, or Banh Mi unless there's a new artisan bakery that's opened up recently.

I've heard of some artisan bread shops in HCMC that might ship to QN on an overnight bus,  but I haven't tried it yet.

SongwriterUK wrote:

I cannot find a Quy Nhon section so I will post here.

Where the heck can I buy decent bread in Quy Nhon?

I have looked everywhere and it is all sugary, white, bleached rubbish.

Mega Mart was no-go as were Coop and Big C

Most locals only eat white, hence the reason its hsrd to find good bread.

Revushka wrote:

Hello there, new to this forum and to Quy Nhon, and I saw your comment about a paper road map of the city -- where did you get it? My husband and I just moved here, and we love a good old-fashioned map we can hold in our hands. Thank you much!

If you check with Reece at the Quy Nhơn Sports Bar (Gmaps Link), he may still have one.

I was there a while back when a Convention and Visitors guy gave him a few.

Quy Nhon Sports Bar
92 An Dương Vương, Nguyễn Văn Cừ, Thành phố Qui Nhơn, Bình Định 591417

what is the place where expats hang out?
I am new to Qui Nhon and here half the time. The other half I spend with my family in Holland.

johnfromholland wrote:

what is the place where expats hang out?
I am new to Qui Nhon and here half the time. The other half I spend with my family in Holland.

Remember, the Expat community is small and not so well connected there...

A couple of my favorites:

Jazz Cafe & Cold Beer and Breakfast
14 Hàn Mặc Tử
Ghềnh Ráng
Thành phố Qui Nhơn
Bình Định
(phone number on Google Maps)
Google Maps link

Relax here most mornings after about 7 am for great breakfast or in the evenings for beer or whatever liquor might be on hand.

Huyen and her man Taisto from Finland are good people.

Some expats will simply cruise by for a quick hello, so if you hang out for a while you'll have the opportunity to meet a few good folks.

You can connect with Huyen through their Facebook page: facebook dot com/JazzCafeBreakfastCoffeeAndBarQuyNhon

Quy Nhon Sports Bar
92 An Dương Vương
Nguyễn Văn Cừ
Thành phố Qui Nhơn
Bình Định
(Phone number on Google Maps)
Google Maps link

They open between 11 AM and noon.

Five stories has ground floor restaurant with a rooftop bar but no lift, so get your stairwell exercise here.

Good food.

Docker owns it and her manager is Reece, but I think he's in Canada currently.

They sell bus and van tickets.

Their Facebook page is: facebook dot com/TheQNSB

thanks
I ll try it out  :)

i am looking for a place to play badminton. Both places I visited were on government property. Everybody incl kids seemed to run in and out but a soldier with a big gun told me a could not enter.
Does anybody know alternative places?

johnfromholland wrote:

i am looking for a place to play badminton. Both places I visited were on government property. Everybody incl kids seemed to run in and out but a soldier with a big gun told me a could not enter.
Does anybody know alternative places?

I have seen people playing on the tennis courts at:

Muong Thanh Quy Nhon Hotel
02 Đường Nguyễn Huệ
Phường Lê Lợi, Thành phố, Bình Định
(Phone number on Google Maps profile)
Google Maps link

Also, at that end of the beach (north) there are sometimes true badminton nets set up in the sand.

Problem a local vendor nearby renting time (and perhaps equipment)

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Also, at that end of the beach (north) there are sometimes true badminton nets set up in the sand.

Problem a local vendor nearby renting time (and perhaps equipment)

That's blasphemy! Playing badminton outdoor is like playing guitar with two broken strings  :lol:

Hello,
I am new here to Quy Nhon.  I am looking for a long term rental.  Would prefer a house on the outskirts of town that has some outside space to it.  Or if this is possible in town then that would be ok also.
Also willing to meet up with folks who are already here that would share experiences about getting started in the area easier.
Thanks

Hello retecu and welcome to QN.

I have a friend that has a business that helps expats get settled in QN. Her name is Khanh and she speaks English fairly well. Her website is AtYourService dot VN. You can contact her through her website or call her phone listed.

Good luck and welcome to the community.

All the best,

Mark

Good_Man wrote:

Hello retecu and welcome to QN.

I have a friend that has a business that helps expats get settled in QN. Her name is Khanh and she speaks English fairly well. Her website is AtYourService dot VN. You can contact her through her website or call her phone listed.

Good luck and welcome to the community.

All the best,

Mark

Two votes for contacting Khanh.

She is not an agent, so she doesn't get rent amounts bumped up for a commission.

Instead, she charges a very reasonable fee to help with myriad tasks.

No guile in this one.

Cheers!

Hello Mark and thank you.   I have tried send an email but it says - not a valid address -
I have tried      AtYourServicedotvn.             atyourservice.vn.
Any other options I should try?

If you typed in the address as written, it wont work.

The link is working.

Link

Thank you.   You are correct.

Retecu,  did you get through to her?

Yes, I sent an email and I am waiting to hear back.

Good_Man wrote:

There are quite a few mountains for climbing around the area.  In fact,  one of my 8th grade student's parents has a hiking club every Sunday morning. The downside is no one speaks English.

Any maps or other sources of info on trails and such?  I'm probably headed up there in the very near future and I wouldn't mind a nice hike...especially if there is the chance of seeing something like a monkey whatever else...In the Lam Dong Museum I could hardly believe the variety of animals on display from around here...mind-boggling.

Some expats used to have (maybe they still do?) an informal walk once or twice a week in the hills around about, I think the people at Quy Nhon Sports Bar may have more up to date information. I wouldn't hold your breath about any wildlife except perhaps the odd bird or so.

FforestFach wrote:

Some expats used to have (maybe they still do?) an informal walk once or twice a week in the hills around about, I think the people at Quy Nhon Sports Bar may have more up to date information. I wouldn't hold your breath about any wildlife except perhaps the odd bird or so.

ut

Is there a sporting goods store in town there?  Or a bookstore that might have hiking guides?

Bruce_M wrote:

Is there a sporting goods store in town there?  Or a bookstore that might have hiking guides?

There are sporting goods stores on Le Hong Phong Street and Tran Hung Dao Street but not in the western style of like a Dick's Sporting Goods in America.

Everything here is much more informal through word of mouth, local contacts and self exploration. I know of several local groups of expats that hike regularly in and around QN. If interested I can make some introductions

Good_Man wrote:
Bruce_M wrote:

There are sporting goods stores on Le Hong Phong Street and Tran Hung Dao Street but not in the western style of like a Dick's Sporting Goods in America.

Everything here is much more informal through word of mouth, local contacts and self exploration. I know of several local groups of expats that hike regularly in and around QN. If interested I can make some introductions

The problem for me is that when it is this darn hot I typically start hiking by headlamp at like 4am and finish well before noon to avoid the heat...and finding people that will get up at 3-4am to do so can be hard....  I just need a guidebook or some maps, not partners.

However, that said, if and when I move to that area (possibly next month) I wouldn't mind talking to some people like that, for sure.  Tahnks for the reply, Good Man.