Advice on buying investment property in Kotor Old Town

Hi there,

I'm thinking of eventually retiring to Montenegro and buying a residence to enjoy the beautiful scenery for the long term.

However, in the meantime, I'm considering first getting to know the property market by buying an investment property (e.g. 1 bedroom apartment) in Kotor Old Town since it's a major tourist destination.

Any advice on the feasibility of this investment project? I appreciate that Kotor Old Town buildings need more maintenance than newer apartments. However, I thought it might be a better long term investment given limited availability.

Thanks for your insights!

My wife and I did just that that. On retirement I purchased a property in Denovici as I found Kotor well over priced for what is available. the property I purchased is large with (at the time) 11 bedrooms for the same price as a small property in Kotor. 

This I converted into 4 apartments, two of which are now up for sale.

I also purchased the property in front of us to stop anyone building a huge building and ruining the view.

One thing you need to watch for is someone selling you a property with a great view and then building in front of you.

The property in front of us is also up for sale having been refurbished and I expect (if not sold ) to construct a small swimming pool in the garden this winter.

We have some of the best views over Kotor Bay.

If you want to talk further I can be contacted on email [email protected].

Good luck with your plans.

Best Wishes  Graham

We have now been here for 12 years.

Hi another consideration that you might need to take into account is that in the winter months Kotor gets very little sun.
As an investment property I am sure it will increase in value in the long term as Kotor is a unique town.Another option you could consider is the town of Perast.It really depends on weather you want to spend much time yourself living in the property or renting it.