Get thee behind me, sweet wrapper

What is it with the Hungarian habit of dropping litter? When I was a lad, there was a campaign, "Keep Britain Tidy" and we put the litter in public bins etc (which have sadly disappeared because councils can't be bothered to spend your extortionate council tax doing their job). When I lived in Houston there was a famous campaign, "Don't mess with Texas", and it was just kinda drummed into you not to drop litter.

Yet Hungarian habit is, "I have finished with it now, gravity can take care of it" drop on the street. We usually get a fair collection of drinks cans, sweet wrappers etc outside the house, and this is not a busy street. I come home from the corner shop carrying a leg of ham or whatever I decided to cook that night, and six cans of energy drink, two or three beer cans, some sweet wrappers and so on.

I think Hungary still has this kinda remnant of Communism, that it is Someone Else's Job. Well, I thank the bin men and give them a crate of beer at Christmas, and to nobody's surprise my bins get magically emptied even if they might be a bit on the heavy side. Doesn't take much to say thank you for keeping our city clean. But I think most Hungarians just don't talk to the binmen or whatever, they are somehow beneath them, and I can drop my litter wherever I like someone else will pick it up. There are beautiul squares and parks and whatnot, covered in litter because look, there is a litter bin THERE and THERE and THERE and THERE and THERE and THERE. One at every bus-stop. What you do, is keep your can of energy drink or your chewing-gum wrapper, when you next walk past a bin which won't be long, you put it in the bin. How is that difficult?

The missus and I tend to go on walks at weekends just really to pass the time and so on between jobs around the house and take a big bag and pick up all the tins etc. I know others ahem collect them to sell them, but we just collect them all in and when we have a full bag, we leave the bag out and it magically disappears. Makes the street tidier and some homeless soul might get a few forint for it (Tesco give you 2 forint a tin, but you don't see many homeless there, so I guess there is another exchange somewhere that does a bit better). One day we went on the beach, if you can call it that, on margitsziget the island in the middle of the duna/danube, and walked all down one side collecting tins, we weren't meaning to but once we got started it became kinda a bit obsessive and we got every tin out, we had about 500 tins. I dunno why we happened to have a roll of black rubbish sacks on us but we did, as I say it was not our intention but we just thought oh we can have a walk around the island and so on, from erszebet hid to arpad hid, so we only did one side then got on the bus with these sacks full of cans. But why throw them in the river in the first place?

Always Someone Else's Problem. That is very much the Hungarian attitude.

Well,
I don't see allot of trash on our street because we have bins on the walkways.
What I do see is perhaps even more unsanitary then trash.
Gallons of animal ( let's hope it's just animal") urine and piles and piles of dog poo, again hope it's just animals waste!
Not to go off on a tangent but the summer of 2015 near Keliti train station there was actually piles of human waste on the walkway even though portable WC's were clearly in site and close by...
Just saying, yuck! Might ask how did I know it was human waste, well unless there was a Great Dane convention being held on the walkways it had to be from all the people hanging at the station.

I love dogs but recently have changed my mind about them because of their owners and the sloppy careless and dirty habit of letting their pets do their business wherever they wish to.
Months back one even let go on the front door of our house, I mean come on already.
They have put that white powder around our building to try and keep it at bay a bit.
I feel for people living on the ground floor, never able to open up their windows because of the smell.

We love walking too, couple years back we took a short cut through the grass and I was wearing my nice Born boots, stepped in something not so nice... Realized it was human and not animal... Freaked me out, left my boots outside the door before I was able to bring myself to cleaning them up and then taking a bath myself just because...

Couple summers ago I got a real "treat" on my exercise machine I can see outside the apt. very well.
A women , first time for everything, walked between 2 parked cars in front of our building and pulled her pants all the way down and let loose...
Never ever have I seen that in daylight from a "lady".
No trying to hide or without a second thought or care in the world, amazing.

When we drove cross country in 1959 from Conn. to Ca. my father about had enough of pulling over every 30 mins or so with 4 kids and my mom to use the roadside WC's.
Finally he just pulled over to the side of the highway and mom would have us hold up a large sheet for privacy and do our thing on the road.
Guess 3,000 miles of I have to go daddy was way too much for him.

My sister did the old Hippie thing of going from London to India and Sri Lanka.
They once were on a bus out in some desert and the driver pulled over for everyone to use the WC, she said the native women were lucky because they had on those large long skirts and it was no issue but she also mentioned how very kind and sweet they were with her. She had jeans on so these ladies made a large circle with their bodies and skirts so she could have some privacy too... Very nice of them really.

Years ago I was working in an office in Deak Ferenc Ter, looked out the window and saw a gypsy woman hitch up her many skirts and do her thing on the ground just outside the church there and just a few metres from the metro station.   Then she just jumped up and walked off without any fuss.  It was such a smooth action of almost seconds the only obvious clue was the residue she left behind.

Wow, I do have a way of  talking "gutter trash," sorry to bring back memories.
I guess you could of thought of it as Holy water since she was near a church?
They really shouldn't charge so much for public WC's and they should have more of them around the city.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Wow, I do have a way of  talking "gutter trash," sorry to bring back memories.
I guess you could of thought of it as Holy water since she was near a church?
They really shouldn't charge so much for public WC's and they should have more of them around the city.

The government usually complain about the cost of public WCs but in my opinion it's a public health necessity. 

What they do now in the UK is pay the likes of Starbucks or McDonalds so that anyone can use their WCs without buying anything.  It's cheaper to do that than the local government paying for the buildings and upkeep. 

If they charge for it, people will just satisfy their disposal needs in the park or the bushes.  You should see some of the autobahn wooded rest areas in Germany or Belgium.  Smells and looks like a sewage farm but without the machinery.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

My sister did the old Hippie thing of going from London to India and Sri Lanka

Probably still Ceylon at that time. See, told you I am a good copy-editor!

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

A women , first time for everything, walked between 2 parked cars in front of our building and pulled her pants all the way down and let loose..

Oh I have seen that, nice girl with everything showing giving a bit of yellow and brown. I didn't know where to put my face.

Patently you can't ask the pigeons and so on not to defecate (birdshit is urine and solids combined so neither "shit" nor "piss" is quite appropriate to birdshit). But if people are not allowed to shit or piss on the street, neither should their pets be allowed to. That is just called responsibility. Dogshit tends to keep some kind of worm or parasite that can cause blindness in young children, that is reason alone to pick it up, let alone that it takes ages to scrape it of my size 11 boots if I accidentally tread in it. You bought the dog, you look after it. And, while you're at it, stop it barking at all hours.

I don't really have a problem with human shit or piss, I cleaned toilets as a sideline while I was not being paid enough to be a rocket scientist, so you kkinda get used to it and it doesn't faze you any more. I have certain tricks for cleaning my toilets which the missus would probably prefer not to know, but if you swipe your fingers under the rim of my toilets you will not find ANYTHING, I do it a lot more thoroughly than Toilet Duck. Piss is pretty much sterile, it is as always the bacteria that make it smell, and no use covering it up with an air conditioner, you have to CLEAN IT. Shit is not quite so sterile but really is not very harmful until all the bacteria in your gut see the daylight and go hey ho, must be a summer holiday, let's start having a party. But even then 99% of the bacteria are not at all harmful, well you rely on them to process your food. Did you know when you eat there are thirty-two feet of intestinal tubing to deal with it? Well they all have lots of "nice bacteria" in their billions. Bacteria themselves are not a problem, pretty much all bacteria are harmless or beneficial.

It is purely the stink and smell you dislike, caused by the bacteria's varios metabolic processes, and I don't see why I should have to scrape YOUR dogshit off MY size eleven steel toecapped boots. If I know the culprit I tend to put it in an envelope and leave it in their mailbox/letterbox, with my name and return address on the back of the envelope. It tends not to happen after that. If it does, I will turn up in my size 11 steel toecapped boots and knock on their door and ask is this yours? That tends to work, too. And would you mind cleaning my boots please? Yes, of course I will, I am so sorry.

I am quite good at identifying dogshit by breed of dog and diet, another of the talents I don't tend to list on my CV/resumé.

The white stuff is probably chalk in the cheap dog food. The cheaper brands bulk it out with chalk. In England you rarely see a white dogshit these days, cos they don't put it in English petfood.

There is a used car dealer on the corner and when people come to look for a car they tend to drop their cans of energy drink or cola etc. The dealer has bins and everything, but nah, to carry it two feet to their bin is too much of a big deal. Once on my way back from the corner shop (which is patently not on the corner cos the car dealer is on the corner, but I just call it the corner shop, a family ABC kinda shop, very nice people there) anyway I was coming back and all the tins on the pavement I just kicked them into the dealers and said THEY ARE YOUR TINS. THEY ARE NOT MINE, THEY ARE YOURS, SO PLEASE GET RID OF THEM. Lo and behold, no more does anyone drop tins outside when they come to the car dealer, and also the car dealer and I are on first name terms and say hey Si how you doing, hey Atilla how is business. When you move to a place you have to set your stall fairly quickly, and my stall is no shit on my street. Seem to have succeeded and got nothing but respect for it.

SimonTrew wrote:

What is it with the Hungarian habit of dropping litter?

Hungarians don't drop litter any more than anyone else on the planet.

The problem is the government's ability or willingness to deal with such issues properly.

I know. My wife was the local mayor for many years. Refuse and litter is a real disaster zone of clueless actors, lazy governments and the typical bit of graft and corruption.

The issue can be solved if one wants to take the effort. Our village was litter free when my wife was mayor. It is not liter free anymore (she is no longer mayor).

klsallee wrote:

I am not sure I entirely agree with that. Hungarians do seem to think that gravity magically takes their litter away. Considering how many public bins there are everywhere, it just seems disgraceful to me that they can't be bothered to PUT IT IN THE BIN. This is not just my own opinon, my Hungarian brother-in-law said to me many years ago, oh yeah, Hungarians, it is phssst dropped not my problem any more.

klsallee wrote:

The problem is the government's ability or willingness to deal with such issues properly.

Because they need a  national "Keep Hungary Tidy" or "Don't mess with PestMegye" campaign. It is kinda on the sides of the rubbish vans, but it really doesn't seem to have sunk home.

klsallee wrote:

I know. My wife was the local mayor for many years. Refuse and litter is a real disaster zone of clueless actors, lazy governments and the typical bit of graft and corruption.

The issue can be solved if one wants to take the effort. Our village was litter free when my wife was mayor. It is not liter free anymore (she is no longer mayor).

You're quite right (and thank your wife,ex-polgarmistress, on my behalf please). It usually comes down to a lack of will. I just detest litter because it is so EASY to sort that one out (no disrespect to the polgarmistress, I am sure she did other good things too) but all you need to do is tell people, dropping litter is not acceptable. The binmen come round and the BKK somehow clean out their bins and so on, it really is not difficult if there is the will to do it, eh?

I went to the corner shop to get some bottles of beer (the Dreher IPA is very nice, not of course quite like an English IPA but quite acceptable, nicer than the Soprini IPA), we are working in the garden today I have been up a stepladder cropping trees back etc and it is thirsty  work. On my way back, FOUR empty tins of beer dumped on our little side-street, that is at the car dealer's on the corner as usual. So much for drink-drive limits etc, because I doubt it was the staff drinking beer, they have a box inside the gate that they put their water bottles etc into, after I moaned about this before. It is the potential customers turning up to look at second-hand cars (they are quite posh ones, mercedes and porsche and things like that) and having a beer on the way. Well, I like a drink but I don't drink and drive. So much so that I don't drive, no need to in budapest, and do everything shank's pony. But it would be quite pleasant if there were not four beer cans littering the pavement outside the car dealers. I had my hands full so didn't pick them up this time, but usually the missus and I just shout "two forint!" and pick them up, if we are carrying a spare bag.

SimonTrew wrote:
klsallee wrote:

I am not sure I entirely agree with that. Hungarians do seem to think that gravity magically takes their litter away.

Having an opinion based on observation is one thing, but you do not know what "Hungarians", in mass, think. Sounds.... colonialist. Just saying.

SimonTrew wrote:

Considering how many public bins there are everywhere, it just seems disgraceful to me that they can't be bothered to PUT IT IN THE BIN.

I traveled globally for business. I have seen the same, with little to no variation, the world over. I, personally, can not single out one nationality over others. Sure, in some countries the garbage issue is greater, but, as I said, that mostly has to do with management, I see no provable evidence for a more sloppy "national character or thinking" in any country.

In fact, I find Hungarians at times actually very tidy. When I go to the beach in the summer, there is almost no trash on the beach or grass at the end of the day where there were hundreds or more people. And the trash bins are well used. I often see people leaving the beach and taking care on their way out to drop their trash in a bin when they walk by. I can not say I have seen this same behavior in all countries at all similar beaches. So, my experiences certainly do differ from yours. But this listed "tidiness" experience of mine at Hungarian beaches does not discount other experiences here that brings it all back to about the same total average as in other countries.

People are people pretty much everywhere.

SimonTrew wrote:

This is not just my own opinon, my Hungarian brother-in-law said to me many years ago, oh yeah, Hungarians, it is phssst dropped not my problem any more.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Which is why I have heard people in other countries say the same thing about their fellow countrymen/women. Which, again, makes everyone else pretty much the same. Which is why opinions are not facts, of course. ;)

SimonTrew wrote:

Because they need a  national "Keep Hungary Tidy" or "Don't mess with PestMegye" campaign.

There is one. But it is done badly. That was my point.

Makes me think of the old "Keep America Beautiful" tv adds in the 1970's.
The old PSA with the "Italian" actor dressed as a Mohawk paddling down a river, getting out on dry land and tears rolling down his face at all the trash on the riverbed.
Or the old," Give a Hoot, don't Pollute" slogan.

Our next door neighbor is 73 or so and I see her all the time walking on the sidewalk picking up trash and putting it either into the bins or in a bag she is totting along.
I also do see many people picking up after their dogs, just not enough of them to make much difference in the mess left behind.
I don't go around picking up other people trash but I also don't leave my trash laying about.
We have street/sidewalk cleaners going up and own the street picking and sweeping trash but far too often we also see them hanging on a corner smoking and talking with each other, all have bright red faces and probably due to their drinking and not because they are taking in some rays of sunshine.
At least Budapest is trying , sort of to stay clean but giving these homeless people a job, pays about 48,000 a month, just barely enough to pay for their food and drinks and cigs.
Overall I say Budapest is cleaner then many places in S. Ca are.
The very dirty aras really are located in the party zone in the 6th and 7th.
A couple weeks back we strolled on the side streets on a Sunday afternoon after the drink bars were closed. Human urine all over, broken glass bottles on the walkways and food wrappers all over the place. It was amazing to me to see some people sitting down at sidewalk cafes and eating,puddles of pee just a few feet away.
Guess that adds to the romantic atmosphere.

klsallee wrote:

Having an opinion based on observation is one thing, but you do not know what "Hungarians", in mass, think. Sounds.... colonialist. Just saying.

Yeah, maybe it does, but my opinion stands that in Hungary it isworse than other countries I have visited or lived in. Just becase something is a stereotype doesn't necessarily make it false. Probably I should have said "In Hungary it seems to me that people drop litter more" rather than "Hungarians drop litter more".

klsallee wrote:
SimonTrew wrote:

Because they need a  national "Keep Hungary Tidy" or "Don't mess with PestMegye" campaign.

There is one. But it is done badly. That was my point.

Yes. I imagine theoretically there are fines for dropping litter but I certainly have never seen it on signs etc, or ever enforced. The last thing we need is more fines for relatively trivial things, of course, it's simply about education really and the will to make it easy for people to recycle, etc.. Like, our recycle bins (emptied once every four weeks) are almost always nearly full with packaging etc that we did't want in the first place, so we end up having to put it in the non-recycle bin. We can't recycle organic waste, but I am building a compost heap for that. At least some glass is returnable to the shop (almost unheard of now in the UK) so that's better here, although of course a lot of glass bottles are not returnable and they are not part of our recycling. Yes, I can take them to the bottle bank but it's quite a long way away.

In the town I lived in in the UK, there were hardly any litter bins outside of the town centre and you could walk for a good half-hour before finding a litter bin to drop your empty soda can in etc. Here in Budapest there are bins everywhere. On the trains there is a bin at every seat! It is just so easy to put stuff in the bin here, which perhaps makes me a bit more grumpy that people don't.

SimonTrew wrote:

In the town I lived in in the UK, there were hardly any litter bins outside of the town centre and you could walk for a good half-hour before finding a litter bin to drop your empty soda can in etc. Here in Budapest there are bins everywhere. On the trains there is a bin at every seat! It is just so easy to put stuff in the bin here, which perhaps makes me a bit more grumpy that people don't.

They took the bins out as the IRA were planting bombs in them.  That's why they tend to have clear bags now just hanging down.  If you go to any mainline station - no bins.

Friend of mine had a lodger who was caught up in an IRA bomb attack.  Bomb was in a concrete rubbish bin that turned to shrapnel.  Broke both his legs.

SimonTrew wrote:

Yet Hungarian habit is, "I have finished with it now, gravity can take care of it" drop on the street. We usually get a fair collection of drinks cans, sweet wrappers etc outside the house, and this is not a busy street. I come home from the corner shop carrying a leg of ham or whatever I decided to cook that night, and six cans of energy drink, two or three beer cans, some sweet wrappers and so on.

I've not noticed that maybe that's the case in your area but its no worse than any other place.

I would say the UK is far worse and they even have bins provided. Fly Tipping is at its worse.

SimonTrew wrote:

my opinion stands that in Hungary it isworse than other countries I have visited or lived in. Just becase something is a stereotype doesn't necessarily make it false.

You are of course entitled to your opinion.

But, you have to also consider, maybe your opinion (not a stereotype since not everyone here agrees with you it generally describes Hungarians) is based on just a more limited experience than me (and others), thus does not make it true either.

I can't stand the parks.  Moms let the kids just drop trow and do their business anywhere because it's easier than walking to the loo.  I could never trust a picnic on the grass here.  Plus the puking drunks.  Maybe not as common in Budapest but still. Not good. 

And I am sad that no one can resist throwing empties in the lake.  No wonder fish are dying of plastic container overload. 

Hungary needs a Ladybird Johnson to get people to keep it beautiful.

missustoad wrote:

I can't stand the parks.  Moms let the kids just drop trow and do their business anywhere because it's easier than walking to the loo.  I could never trust a picnic on the grass here.  Plus the puking drunks.  Maybe not as common in Budapest but still. Not good. 

And I am sad that no one can resist throwing empties in the lake.  No wonder fish are dying of plastic container overload. 

Hungary needs a Ladybird Johnson to get people to keep it beautiful.

I think the problem with some mom's allowing their kids to do their business  anywhere is perhaps due to the cost of using a public WC.
100 to 250 F. I've seen around our area lately to use it, do that times a family of 4 and one is out up to a 1,000, literally down the toilet.
They should have more non private WC's around the city that only charge a nominal fee, enough to cover the cost of cleaning them and keeping them stocked with tissues.
There also isn't enough public WC's around.
In the city park they have portable WC's near the children's playground... not sure how much fun it is to use the swings on a windy day and get a whiff...
Better though then the day we took a short cut and I stepped in something nasty that wasn't animal in nature... Almost cried, my nice boots almost found themselves dumped in the trash can but lucky enough good old Hypo killed anything that wasn't washed away.
Gross.
Then again some people are just cheap and don't care.
Can't change them , try to avoid them.
Years ago I often found myself having to buy  a soda or ice cream just be be a customer and allowed to use the WC. They had someone just sitting near the WC and checking your receipt to make sure you were a paying customer. What a waste of resources, what a lamo job.
These days I try not to drink before leaving the house.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I think the problem with some mom's allowing their kids to do their business  anywhere is perhaps due to the cost of using a public WC.
100 to 250 F. I've seen around our area lately to use it, do that times a family of 4 and one is out up to a 1,000, literally down the toilet.
They should have more non private WC's around the city that only charge a nominal fee, enough to cover the cost of cleaning them and keeping them stocked with tissues.
There also isn't enough public WC's around.

Yes, it's a cost issue and the feeling of being ripped off. 

It's cheaper to have a whizz in the nearest bushes. 

The Victorians had the right idea about public health.   They built lots of free public facilities.  They even used to provide free bathrooms when having a bath was a weekly if not monthly affair.   Way back then, in Victorian times, good sanitation was considered a public health issue or even an emergency. I think it was prompted by the "Great Stink".   

It's not that long ago - even within my vaguest and earliest memories visiting my grandparents of people being in a tin bath in front of the fire in the living room. 

Most older houses here have terrible bathrooms. I don't think a family house should have less than two bathrooms and better, three.  Imagine one bathroom and your teenagers are stuck in there for hours.  More than bathroom would have been considerably luxurious even 30 years ago.  Times have changed.

But a small tip (and somewhat "unethical") is those automated entry gates to the facilities in some places (motorway/highway services particularly).  So long as no-one is watching (they have cameras in some places), they are actually high enough to get under without too much physical strain.  If you have kids, they can just bend down and get through without a ticket.   In an emergency, it's necessary.

Back sometime in the 1970's in the US they started coin operated WC's. People broke the machines or held the door open for others , in a general sort of strike against pay to pee fees.
What really, really bugs the living daylights out of me is the animal waste allowed on the sidewalks.
It is a serious health issue not only for humans but for other dogs as well.
Many illnesses can be cross transferred  between dogs and dogs and humans.
I know for a fact that if one takes their pets out enough times during the day they can "hold it" for a bit until they are lead to a proper area to relieve themselves.
No idea what is going on in the minds of some pet owners who allow their dogs to just do their thing in front of a doorway or where people are sitting out eating.
I am rather silly, bored or easily entertained by myself as I have names for certains sts. that seem to have more "going on" then other sts.
Pee Place, Doo-doo Lane... Living in Poodapest...Silly me I know still a 5 year old mentality when it comes to this issue.
Funny thing, in Hawaii they serve what is called, poo-poo's  another name for a snack finger food... Hmmm, makes one wonder what the magic ingredient is.
Yes my mom told of old times when they pulled out the old bath tub for their weekly bath when she was a kid, did the old "sponge bath" other days.
Growing up in the 1960's my parents bought a house with a full bath and a half bath.
Only had one large shower with a tub for the family.
I could write a book on the fights in the house with 3 girls all trying to use the shower at once. My mom decided she had enough of the "cat fights" so she literally set up a alarm clock and everyone had 30 mins to themselves, mess around too long and too bad for you,you were removed wet and soapy for the next user. Almost like the military.
My youngest sister however got off super easy. She was the only girl still living at home when she was a teen. She literally would spend hours in the bathroom doing her hair showering God only knows what was  taking her so long, maybe she took a nap between washing and drying?
My ex SIL was a MP in the US Army, she just had to mention that while in boot camp everyone had to shower together and everyone had about 3 mins.time, hair, washed body and out.
That kept me from ever even thinking of joining the military.
I am still rather fast in the shower, my husband takes twice as long to get ready as I do and I dry my hair into a style, put on my makeup and get my outfit together.
He would of never survived in my mom's house.
I really dislike baths, it's better to shower , here in Hungary we take what I call a "bashower" something between a bath and a shower, that long rinsing hose is "handy".
Miss my old house in Ca. sometimes, had 2 showers and a bath tub plus an outside shower near the pool. Used to bathe my 108 lbs. Doberman in the bathtub since it pretty much was his since we all liked showers better.
Once a week bath for him...Excessive maybe but he sure smelled great all the time.
Odd to think my dog had baths more often then some people do.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Back sometime in the 1970's in the US they started coin operated WC's. People broke the machines or held the door open for others , in a general sort of strike against pay to pee fees.
What really, really bugs the living daylights out of me is the animal waste allowed on the sidewalks.
I really dislike baths, it's better to shower , here in Hungary we take what I call a "bashower" something between a bath and a shower, that long rinsing hose is "handy".
Miss my old house in Ca. sometimes, had 2 showers and a bath tub plus an outside shower near the pool. Used to bathe my 108 lbs. Doberman in the bathtub since it pretty much was his since we all liked showers better.
Once a week bath for him...Excessive maybe but he sure smelled great all the time.
Odd to think my dog had baths more often then some people do.

I agree about the baths - showers more efficient - but try telling that to a teenager, 13 going on 18.

Clearly if you charge people for the WC, people are going to look for alternatives.  It's a kind of human right thing.   I cannot see much harm in having a whizz in the forest while out walking.  I've really noticed that Germany is keen on getting money from bathroom charging - pisses me off so to speak.  You can usually get away with free bathrooms at big hotels.

Actually now I think of it, strange how people collaborate on those kinds of things - hold the doors open   as you said, flash headlights for the speed cameras/cops and even share tickets for paid parking (this happens quite a lot in the UK, less so here due to number plate capture). 

Odd really to collaborate in that way because no-one would say, collaborate with strangers over say, bank robbery or murder.  Interesting plot device though. I have seen a kind of "chain" blackmail plot in the TV show "Black Mirror" (also on Netflix).   Each person in the chain being blackmailed to carry out a robbery.  Of course, the intrigue is to know why they are collaborating and who is manipulating them and what the blackmailer had on them etc.  Wasn't badly done.

Some things should just be free because in the long run it's better for everyone.
Free WC's for everyone!!!
Free fresh access to drinking water and a min. of free healthy food and a free place to live.
Just the basic things mind you, no free mansions or anything of excess.
Dang, the "Royal" family gets that and then some and sorry, I have forgotten what they actually do for anyone but themselves.
Love Black Mirror, waiting for the next season on Netflix.
My list of freebies for all would be free health care, free housing, free food, free education and of course top of the list free WC's!
Then again first we must rid ourselves of the need to one up the next guy with what toys we have, stop trying to out do each other by having more.
Maybe if everything was free ,after people had their fill they would realize the don't need as much to get by as they think they do.
Daydreaming here.

In a way you have to charge people for using the WC, as it costs money to main them, clean them and provide soap and paper.

Now how much is debatable, in the UK I've seen them charge £1 to £2 which is a ripoff. 20p to 50p is ok in my eyes.

here in my town, we have one set of public loos which are always locked unless there is a fest going on in the park. But if I am out for a walk I will go off into the forest and help water the plants :D

But we have wine taverns, cafe, restaurants that if you ask nicely they will let you use them.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Dang, the "Royal" family gets that and then some and sorry, I have forgotten what they actually do for anyone but themselves.

Ah well, now that's a subject. 

I used to be anti-monarchy but in my older years I'm more for them.   No-one wants a President or PM nutter doing and saying crazy stuff?  Now I see royalty as a kind of insurance. 

And with Mrs Sparkle on board, they've updated and definitely upgraded.  And who can resist that kind of romance, surely?  It's a kind of low key Pretty Woman type story.   The Queen herself is an absolute institution and a real sign of stability. And we just about forgive Prince Philip for his racist and sometimes hilarious gaffes - including slagging off people in Hungary for being fat.

The Queen herself doesn't own her palaces except one in Scotland - Balmoral.  All the other places like Buckingham Palace, Windsor Castle etc are owned by the state.  And very few Royals actually get money from the state and even then, only for official business.  Charlie gets his money from the Duchy of Cornwall and is independently wealthy.  Queen gets an allowance as do a few of the others.  But some actually have paid jobs even though they probably got them through patronage.  They aren't renowned for their intellectual prowess.

They are on balance good for business - they engage in visibility for the country, especially on trade missions.   People do like to see them - lots of tourists visit to see all the finery.  They are sort of an income earner even  though it seems ludicrous in this day and age.

There are other royals families in the world, that do far less and are worth a hell of a lot more than the UK Royals.

Touchy waters, of course I'm just a Yank and what do I know?

SimCityAT wrote:

There are other royals families in the world, that do far less and are worth a hell of a lot more than the UK Royals.

I dunno, isn't it just familiarity?  Easy targets?

Look at the Thai Royal Family.  I was in Thailand a lot and they really did believe in him.  He spent a lot of time engaging in agricultural projects. But in the clips I saw of him, I thought he looked a bit purposeless.  A King looking for a job.   No idea what the King of Sweden does but I know one of the Dutch princes flies as a pilot for KLM.  As for the Japanese Emperor, no idea.  Cannot think of anyone else really royal. 

I dare you to say Meghan Sparkle isn't a breath of fresh air for that institution?

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Touchy waters, of course I'm just a Yank and what do I know?

Nah, get in there and join the scrum! 

Meghan Sparkle is one of yours!

Meghan for President!

I've never watched ,"Suits'and never heard of MM before her engagement.
Just seems she came out of thin air, very odd how they met from what I've read.
Like just anyone can get a blind date with a prince...Ok,maybe it could happen.
My experience is there are allot more toads out there then princes.

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

I dunno, isn't it just familiarity?  Easy targets?

Look at the Thai Royal Family.  I was in Thailand a lot and they really did believe in him.  He spent a lot of time engaging in agricultural projects. But in the clips I saw of him, I thought he looked a bit purposeless.  A King looking for a job.   No idea what the King of Sweden does but I know one of the Dutch princes flies as a pilot for KLM.  As for the Japanese Emperor, no idea.  Cannot think of anyone else really royal. 

I dare you to say Meghan Sparkle isn't a breath of fresh air for that institution?

If you think the net worth of Europe's royal families is high, think again.

Where some European royals have the highest net worth among the continent's royal families — such as Prince Albert II of Monaco — they rank much lower compared with other royal families around the globe.

Queen Elizabeth II and the British royal family's net worth of more than $500 million doesn't even make the cut for the top 10 richest royals worldwide.

http://www.businessinsider.com/royal-fa … ked-2018-5

Not sure anyone or any country needs a "Royal" these days.
The times of a powerful respected King who lead his army into battles is long over with.
Can't make anyone believe they get special treatment because God appointed them above everyone else.
Not buying it, the Queen of Hawaii was removed and her lands "stolen", she was not able to keep her power or throne.
All that's left is a few sts named after the Hawaiian Royal family and a few of her old estates that are now tourist haunts.
It's hard to sell these old customs to modern people.
Look at what happened in Russia and France, they are doing fine without a Royal family in power.
Tourists still visit and they still have their old stores that sell tickets to see the insides of old estates.
In the past the man who would be Emperor of China was last seen riding a bike on his way to his factory job.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I've never watched ,"Suits'and never heard of MM before her engagement.
Just seems she came out of thin air, very odd how they met from what I've read.
Like just anyone can get a blind date with a prince...Ok,maybe it could happen.
My experience is there are allot more toads out there then princes.

I wasn't following it either and I'd never  heard of her too.  Harry is less of a toad than his Dad.  Maybe their meeting was a set up in some way. Worked out for the matchmakers!

The thing is that the Royal Family is very much about tradition and history and Ms Sparkle is just completely different to all the rest but she's got great attributes.  She's smart, presentable,  used to acting/being directed and being in the public eye.  In other words, she's come fully trained for the job in one of the longest running soaps. 

And because of her background she's made the rest of them look like modernisers. Moreover she's made the Royal Family more relevant and identifiable to a younger generation.   She's not a risk - she'll never be Queen either. 

Royals haven't got a gay consort in there yet but there's always been rumours about Prince Edward (youngest son of the Queen).   

BTW, I managed to obtain this last Royal Wedding footage.  Who says the Royals aren't fun and interesting?!

fluffy2560 wrote:

I think she will be good for him and the family.

I have always loved the royal family and always will defend them. London Olympic games there was a protest against them. It was p^ssing it down, and only a few showed up. In contrast, come rain or shine thousands turn up to see the Royal family from home and around the globe.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Not sure anyone or any country needs a "Royal" these days.
The times of a powerful respected King who lead his army into battles is long over with.
Can't make anyone believe they get special treatment because God appointed them above everyone else.
Not buying it, the Queen of Hawaii was removed and her lands "stolen", she was not able to keep her power or throne.
All that's left is a few sts named after the Hawaiian Royal family and a few of her old estates that are now tourist haunts.
It's hard to sell these old customs to modern people.
Look at what happened in Russia and France, they are doing fine without a Royal family in power.
Tourists still visit and they still have their old stores that sell tickets to see the insides of old estates.
In the past the man who would be Emperor of China was last seen riding a bike on his way to his factory job.

Well, as I said, who wants a nutter for President?   Or Chairman of the Party Committee?

There are so many examples of meglomaniacs and narcissists getting into power.  Liz (Queen of UK etc) is a symbol of continuity and stability.

Anyway, who was the Queen of Hawaii?  Touch and go if Hawaii even became a state.  Look at the State Flag!  Close call those islands didn't join with our Commonwealth!

https://www.theflagshop.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/h/a/hawaii-flag-std.jpg

Sorry Fluffy, just a head's up, don't say that to a Hawaiian or they will "pound one howlie" unquote.
They love their now de funked Royal Hawaiian Family and their many "God"s". Had to watch my p's a q's living there not to say or do something that was "hava" , ( think that was the word used to translate, not done.)
Like I said as a Yank, I can't relate to putting anyone up so high as to say they are Royal. Guess all of a American girls think of ourselves as "princesses"... not really ,Queens for a day maybe.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Sorry Fluffy, just a head's up, don't say that to a Hawaiian or they will "pound one howlie" unquote.
They love their now de funked Royal Hawaiian Family and their many "God"s". Had to watch my p's a q's living there not to say or do something that was "hava" , ( think that was the word used to translate, not done.)
Like I said as a Yank, I can't relate to putting anyone up so high as to say they are Royal. Guess all of a American girls think of ourselves as "princesses"... not really ,Queens for a day maybe.

I generally feel quite safe in Hungary from the wrath of any Hawaiians.  I shall of course be careful in the street if I come across any.  Not many Pacific Islanders around here unless they are hiding in the bushes.  And I've no plans to go there. 

But if it had played out differently in a parallel universe, then possibly a Hawaiian Royal could have married into our Royals and then that British flag would have more visibility for the connection.   I am sure the Hawaiians would have been popular in the UK.

Anyway, not so much people being Royal by birth but it's the institution that's been around forever and it seems to work somehow.  So Ms Sparkle is marrying Harry sure but really, she's actually marrying into an institution.  It's been done before,  Grace Kelly for example, marrying the Prince of Monaco.

I guess the UK would welcome the USA into the Commonwealth anytime should the need arise.

Sounds like a wild thing to say as from afar and with the Iranian dynasty gone, my old school mate informed me that her Iranian husband is like number 110 to the Throne of Iran.
Ok so at least 109 people have to kick it and the politics has to change but maybe, someday upon a rainbow, she could be a "Royal".
Sounds insane when there isn't much power behind the words.
Hungary used to have the same sort of class system , Lords, Ladies etc.
All gone now , if anyone claimed t be Royal here they would probably find themselves in the doctors office getting their heads examined.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Sounds like a wild thing to say as from afar and with the Iranian dynasty gone, my old school mate informed me that her Iranian husband is like number 110 to the Throne of Iran.
Ok so at least 109 people have to kick it and the politics has to change but maybe, someday upon a rainbow, she could be a "Royal".
Sounds insane when there isn't much power behind the words.
Hungary used to have the same sort of class system , Lords, Ladies etc.
All gone now , if anyone claimed t be Royal here they would probably find themselves in the doctors office getting their heads examined.

I think there's more chance of that happening in Iran than one might think.

They still have "aristocratic" names here but it comes without much baggage (or more importantly, money). 

But there's always the Habsburgs for hereabouts should the Hungarians see the light. 

Bulgarians elected the former King as PM and the Spanish brought back their royals after Franco died. 

There's precedent.

This topic is not about monarchy (or Anything Else), but about littering. While urinating/defecating in public seems a reasonable extension, I can't see what Meghan Markle has to do with it.

SimonTrew wrote:

This topic is not about monarchy (or Anything Else), but about littering. While urinating/defecating in public seems a reasonable extension, I can't see what Meghan Markle has to do with it.

True enough.

But then again, are the royals just "rubbish"?