How much PR Income tax?

Can anyone tell me how much exactly a person would pay in puerto rico income taxes considering the below? I tried a few calculators online but my results have varied.

$96,252 salary paid biweekly , single/not married, 1 withholding allowance

I would like to compare that to the same salary in California.

Asking for a friend....
Thanks

The Maximum tax rate in PR is 33% and it start at that level after 60k.
But I think you are comparing tomatoes, oranges and bananas.
If you are making that money in the US while living in California, you have California state tax and Federal. If you are living in Puerto Rico, while employed by a US company with no location in PR, you are dealing with Federal tax and no PR tax. If you are making 96k from a company in Puerto Rico or a company with a presence in PR, you will pay Federal and PR tax.

Regardless you will likely need to file the PR forms and may endup paying nothing in some of the above scenarios.

My suggestion is to come talk to a CPA in PR, I could be dead wrong, everyone's situation is different.

As Rey suggested, this is no easy calculation.  I'm glad you've asked it though, as I imagine that it's an important consideration when deciding whether to relocate to Puerto Rico.

Perhaps a useful table can be found here.  The table compares "Total Tax Burden" by state.  California ranks 10th.  You will find that is the sum of property tax, sales tax and state personal income tax.  Federal income tax is of course on top of all this.

In Puerto Rico, if your salary is from mainland sources, you continue to pay federal income tax.  But the "Total Tax Burden" on the island would place it near, if not at the top of the list.  Island sales tax (IVU) is 11.5%.  Property tax seems low (I'll let others chime in there), and there is no personal income tax paid to the island government assuming all income is earned off-island.

If however your income is from local sources, all of the above applies (high total tax burden), and you exchange a federal income tax rate of 24% for an island tax rate of 33%.

Once again as Rey said, consult an island tax professional for more precise calculations.

What the heck.  Just came across this blog postfrom an "expat" who moved to PR and set up an online business.  Quick summary, higher taxes.

Thank you both for your replies.

Yes looking for an exact calculation as a puerto rican citizen earning a salary from a puerto rico business. No federal tax will be paid and not concerned with property taxes at the moment.

I'll keep doing research but if anyone knows how to get an exact figure please let me know.

Thanks

You could fill out the current PR tax forms or contact HR Block in PR.

http://www.hacienda.gobierno.pr/individ … ntribucion

The link above is from Hacienda on how to calculate your dues. It's in Spanish but basically over 61,500 you pay $8,430. Anything above gets taxed at 33%.

http://www.hacienda.gobierno.pr/sites/d … 2017_2.pdf

The link above, on page 24, 26 and 27 goes over withholding and withholding exemption. It's in English and Spanish. Both links are from Hacienda's website.

Hope this helps!