General Cambodia Everyday Life Questions

Hello,

I'm hoping I can get some assistance from those of you who are currently living in Cambodia. I'm considering moving there (I was looking at Sihanoukville, but I've gotten mixed reviews so I'm certainly open to elsewhere), and I'm trying to figure out if it has what I'm after.

So let me tell you a bit about me as relates to this potential move. I don't drink, I don't do drugs. I have no desire to go to bars or clubs or parties. I have no interest in entering into a romantic or sexual relationship. I don't mind visiting the beach every once in awhile, but I'm not looking to spend all day every day there. I'm not looking to live in luxury; I neither have nor want a lot of stuff. All I want is to live somewhere quiet and out of the way, but close enough to a city so that I can get medicine, food, and other necessaries. I'm basically looking to find a place where I can live decently on a (relatively) small income from my online job and be left alone to pursue my firespinning and meditation.

Just because I've been on this site a week and I've already seen one thread turn into a fight, I feel obligated to clarify that I'm not saying this is the right way to live in Cambodia (or anywhere). It's just that, from what I've gathered, it's not the norm, so I figured I should be specific :)

One other thing: I have some health conditions which require medication. I don't necessarily need a lot of medical care and doctor visits, but access to medicine is simply non-optional.

Any help you could provide would be *greatly* appreciated.

Thanks so much for your help!

Well many places fit the bill for you I'm diabetic, I get my supply's cheaply in Phnom Penh , I imagine other cities too would have supplies, but for good doctors I go to Thailand as most ex pats do , although royal hospital in Phnom Penh is great really good , sounds like you could live a small ways out of the city and be happy , cheaper a ways out of the cities , I don't have a location for you but I bet you would find something, good luck to you , careful with medicines , u-care  pharmacy and always de la care pharmacy in Phnom Penh is best , you can be sure of getting the correct medicines , happy travels , yea there can be dis agreements on this site , but mostly good information

Hello,

Take a Google look around Kep or Kampot ... ;-)

I get my medicines in any of theses.

New fiber optic internet line installed in my house in Kep in just one week.

Cheers,
Marcelo

Yes good advice kep and kampot might be the perfect spot

Hello SCSM2650 (whatever this means ;) ),

I´m living in Kep since beginning of March.
A lot of your words describe my life here perfectly   ;)

Good luck with your choice
Rick

Sorry, this kind of got away from me...

These are really helpful responses, guys! Thank you much!

You don't need a script to buy medicine and depending on what you need, if it is available and how much it would cost you if what you need to find out.  Also, when you say 'small income', how much and is it passive or varies from month to month?  So the answers you are looking for, you need to provide more specific info and to disclose it on a public forum such as this is not a wise thing to do.  Need to find a private contact person living there to give them the details and with that focusing on an area where to live like you describe without financial worries and health concerns will determine the best places to live here.  I lived in siem reap, sihanoukville, kampot and now in phnom penh.  each having good and bad points about them.  also consider weather conditions and bug infestation and western type necessities that you must have or can live without.  this is a 3rd world country still.  also the foods that you can eat and how strong your immune system is to handle it.  so my best advice is to make a visit here first to towns that interest you and see if it has what you need and can afford first.  If you can't afford to do that, then you can't afford to live anywhere that you think is cheap.  met many people from different countries thinking they could live cheap here only ending up pinching pennies and eating unhealthy foods because it's cheap but end up asking for help from their family or friends because unless you have skills that are in demand and pays well with little amount of passive income to live on, it won't take long where you end up feeling you were better off where you are now.  On the other hand if living in cheap places and eating cheap foods and the climate conditions doesn't bother you where you don't need a/c...then it could turn out ok for you.  so my suggestion is to check it out for yourself first to make sure making the move is right for you.  Plus you will know what you need to bring with you if you make the move to live here.  hope that helps you out.

I think the last post hits it well, come over and stay in places, then you know where you want to stay.
Nobody is able to choose for you. I would say based on your medicine demand, stay close to PP, no other place has to offer what PP offers. Also hospital wise PP is the choice. As twinsguy mentioned Royal PP hospital is state of the art, a Thai hospital in PP.

As for quiet and away from traffic, noise and whatever, Kep and Kampot are the choice.

Sihanoukville plus the islands off the coast are number one if you like quiet, relaxed, sunsets over the sea, nature, still close to a city [that is growing quickly and will have shopping malls and a good hospital in the future].

Koh Kong is also quiet, although the development of a huge Chinese resort and an international airport give reason to think the quiet area is past.

You see, many options, it's really up to yourself, go to those places, find ouot about meds, docs, quiet areas, and decide.

Good luck.

Joe
Cambodia expert
Expat.com team