Permanent Residency vs National permanent resident permit

Hello Expats,
I am an Indian Citizen currently studying in Hungary and employed in the university as a researcher. I have my temporary residence permit valid till 2021 i.e. till the completion of my PhD studies. I am expecting a child with my Girlfriend who is a Hungarian citizen. I need to know - when and where to report and what to apply for permanent residency after the birth of our child and what is the difference between permanent residency and National resident permit (5 years card) or is there any provision for civil partner because we have been living together since last two years.
Thanks.

Arjun Talgotra wrote:

Hello Expats,
I am an Indian Citizen currently studying in Hungary and employed in the university as a researcher. I have my temporary residence permit valid till 2021 i.e. till the completion of my PhD studies. I am expecting a child with my Girlfriend who is a Hungarian citizen. I need to know - when and where to report and what to apply for permanent residency after the birth of our child and what is the difference between permanent residency and National resident permit (5 years card) or is there any provision for civil partner because we have been living together since last two years.
Thanks.

No idea but speaking as the parent of two Hungarian kids (my info might be old).....

Your child will be a Hungarian citizen and as such you should be entitled to permanent residence on those grounds alone. I am not 100% sure but I think you might find you have to get married or have a civil arrangement peferably before the baby comes to get those rights.  Your nationality will be recorded on the birth certificate and if you are not officially married (in Hungary anyway), you have to also agree officially that the child is yours.  BTW, you have to know the child's name at the time of birth because the birth details are sent directly to the registration authorities (you don't need to do anything).

I don't know if India allows dual citizenship.  The Hungarians don't care if India allows that so you might want to keep quiet about that angle. 

As far as I know you have to go here: http://www.bmbah.hu/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=462&Itemid=825&lang=en

I've only just started revisiting this stuff because of the Brexit thing. After 2004, it was EU and therefore no longer a problem for me.  After March 2019 I might have to revise my status.

Check with immigration.
I am ok now with my papers but 7-8 years back I had nothing but trouble getting even a temp. permit to stay.
I was married for decades to a Hungarian citizen and our son is a Hungarian citizen.( Still married to my HU husband)
Son was married in Hungary to a Hungarian but they still gave me a hard time at immigration.
We own property in Hungary and have funds from the US coming in ever month from the US gov.
Sounds like it would of been a breeze for me but it wasn't.
Long story and I am legally bound not to talk about what happened later,,, agents visiting me at home .. Investigation into their own offices.
Creepy stuff, guess I may of spilled a few beans right now.
It might not be so complicated now due to issues like what happened with my case and how far we went to get it sorted out.
I didn't leave HUngary as they asked me to but paid for extensions and fought it.
No sorry for your hassles etc. but they did finally hear what we had to say about how they handle cases.
Honestly I still feel unsettled here after what we went through, got my 10 year permit to stay but still waiting for another knock on the door.
Oh, I am from the US and my husband and son are dual citizens.
Only advice is go in and keep your fingers crossed and dot your I's and cross all your T's.

PS, If your curious, I have never sworn allegiance to any foreign country, been arrested or worked for any federal agency. No idea why me?