Auckland Primary Schools and where best to live

Hi,
My partner and I are moving from the UK to NZ in July where he will start a job at Auckland City Hospital for 12-18months. We have two children aged 7 & 5 and need to start thinking about where we would be best to live. This will primarily be based around the local school.

We will be in rented accommodation and I've heard lots of mixed reports about where we should and shouldn't live - the main concern is being near a decent school and the journey time to the hospital being reasonable (30mins max ideally)

Can anyone recommend good primary schools that I can start looking at? Also areas to consider/ avoid living in?
Any help is much appreciated  :)

Hi, I just saw your post and was wondering if you made the move and how you and your family are finding it.
We are making the move within the next 3 months with my husbands job. I've two children, 7 & 12.
I have been looking at the Avondale Suburb area of Auckland online at places to rent and schools.
Any advice would be great :-)

HI, I just saw your post. I am a Belgian living in Auckland. I wouldn't recommend Avondale, but it depends where you're going to end up working. Anywhere on the North Shore (north of the bridge - Northcote, Takapuna, Mairangi Bay, Browns Bay) is great but expensive. In fact, any place to the east of the motorway is prime location. There is a bus that runs to the city (the Northern Express or NEX) which I use. I live further up because it's cheaper. I'm in Red Beach, but the NEX goes all the way up there so that's great. The traffic into the city from the North Shore is ridiculous, so you're better off catching that bus.

Any further questions? Just ask.

Katrien