Masters Degree in New Zealand

Hello all,

I'm from the US, graduating next year from university. I am seriously considering moving to New Zealand to pursue my master's. As I would eventually like to earn my citizenship, what job markets are stable/increasing? Being a science major, I am looking for degrees in that sort of field.

Moreover, as I am leaving without a car, how safe is public transit? My city's public transportation system is quite sketchy and I'd hate to be stranded at my flat without food and such.

Has anyone here studied in New Zealand? I'd love to chat with you if you have!

Thanks,

Kristian

Why would you want to come here to finish your studies when you have so many good universities to choose from there? 

As for public transport, it would depend on where you live.  I myself dont own a car but I happen to live 5 minutes from the bus stop and 10 minutes from a train station.  I am limited to where I can go.  When I do eventually get a job, I will get a car because my options on where to apply are too limited without one. Cars are quite expensive here compared to the US.  Im looking at around 7000-10000 for a 2000-2001 used car that has about 50000-70000 kilometers on it. I also do not feel that safe after dark anywhere. You cant count on the police to come to your rescue within 5-15 minutes like you could in the US.

Before you pack up and move here, you may want to look at housing cost too.  Apartments are very expensive for what you get. Food prices are high compared to the US.  And, be prepared going back in time about 30 years.

To me, there is a big difference between the North Island and South Island.  I hope to get the hell out of the North Island and move to the South.  I feel like Im on the wrong wide of the straits up here.

I note you placed an almost identical post on the Scotland forum saying you would like to earn citizenship there too.  Have not checked the other forums.

Scotland and New Zealand are like night and day (with the exception of the scenery in south island).  And if you do your homework, Scotland does not have citizenship.

There is a lot more to moving to a country than college and safety.  Sounds like you are just at the contemplating stage at the moment.

Hi,

We are in NZ and we run a business that helps peope come here to study and make a plan for long term immigration etc if need be. We actually deal primarily with students from Latin America, so our website is in Spanish, but when I say your post I am sure we can help.

We have our finger on the pulse of education and visa/ immigration requirements so can help you (don;t worry our service is free) My partner is Mexican, so we work with a lot of Mexicans coming here to do their post grad studies etc.

(moderated: no ads please)

Cheers,

M

Hi there,

I would be happy to help you with your questions, however I have been unbale to reply to you from your private message as the powers have blocked it for some strange reason. I invited you to email me, but the moderator has removed my address,

There is a good couple of wesites you can look at, one is my profile name .co.nz, but that will probably get moderated too.

If you manage to get a hold of me, I am more than happy to offer you any help or advice on your plans to stdy here, thats kinds what I do,

Thanks and good luck,

M