Expecting Some Valuable Suggestions!!!

Hello Everyone!

We are planning to move in Hungary in September 2018, but we will be visiting Hungary in June 2018 to finalize everything E.g. home, school, clinics etc.

So my question is... Will Public schools will  remain open till June in Hungary? SORRY but I have no idea how to select a school there.. should I meet the management or what's the procedure??

Regarding home.. We are planning to rent an apartment for short term first then later we will rent for long term, So should we rent it through Airbnb or try any other way to look for rental apartments??

Also I want to know about the clinics/hospitals in Hungary for my kids, do we have to enroll ourselves for insurance etc.??

Any suggestions???

Do your kids speak hungarian??? If not, forget about public schools.

Do you have a job, regular income or sufficient savings to even qualify for the residence permit???

Unless you pay for a private school you have to use the public school in the hood you live in.
Can't pick and chose, can't do that in the US either.
It's all about how much you pay in taxes for your area as to the "quality" of a public school for your district.
You must enroll with having a address card, not going to just take your word for it as to what hood you live in.
Sorry, my son is 42 years old and this is still pretty much standard to prove where you live before being enrolled in public schools.
Overall, HU schools are very good compared to other countries.
No idea how long schools are open here, we have a school right on the corner and by June it is pretty much done and dusted for the season.

You are going to have to cover the health insurance yourself, Can't just fly over and enroll in the national health system.

Air B&B, whatever you can afford I'd say, that's a bit of a pricey way to go but short term in a fix guess it may work until you find a more perm. address.

Om Muhammad wrote:

....So should we rent it through Airbnb or try any other way to look for rental apartments?? ...

Marilyn is right. You will need deep pockets for AirBnB. 

As you don't speak Hungarian, you'll need to use an real estate agent or other kind of helper.   If you can struggle through it, you can try to find something here: Ingatlan.com.   

It's not too difficult to use.  But you'll need to learn some Hungarian words so this is a way to start. Ingatlan means "real estate" in Hungarian.

There's a low chance of finding a landlord speaking English but you might get lucky. Be prepared to encounter  all sorts of random and unreasonable behaviour for any number of reasons.  Some people here are strange but most are OK.  You get odd people everywhere, not just here.

For schools, my understanding is that you need an address card or a contract renting a property in the area.  Then you need your helper to help you get them into the school as most school directors will not speak English. 

Schools finish here for the summer Friday June 15.  This is pretty much the same all over Europe except the UK (and presumably Ireland) when their schools end mid-July.   School always starts on the 1st September or the closest day (probably 3rd this year 2018 but be careful it doesn't start the week before on some odd day like a Thursday).

As I think I said before, my suggestion is not to bother putting your kids in school when you arrive.  Get them into an intensive Hungarian summer school programme instead and get them some Hungarian friends to play with.  Summers are good here - you can take them to the playground everyday and they will soon find friends.  Finding other parents to chat to is more problematic.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Unless you pay for a private school you have to use the public school in the hood you live in.
Can't pick and chose, can't do that in the US either.

Not true, you can choose  I do not know the details but something like if the school agrees and there is enough space you can choose other schoool than what is based on where your yurt is.
here are the details I did not translated it:
https://www.babaszoba.hu/articles/gyere … 0411122915

Good to know one can chose a school.
I sort of doubt though that it is all that easy unless your child has a special gift like math skills are art. I don't know, in the states you can get your child into another district if they have a special talent and the new school is geared for their needs.
Good to know just in case there is a tiny one in my future.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Good to know one can chose a school.
I sort of doubt though that it is all that easy unless your child has a special gift like math skills are art. I don't know, in the states you can get your child into another district if they have a special talent and the new school is geared for their needs.
Good to know just in case there is a tiny one in my future.

As far as I know, once the kids get to about 13, they can elect a school of their choice and based on their academic performance (not exactly a gift, but achievements).  They can choose for example to go to the gymnasium although they may not be accepted - just depends on the school. 

If they decide not to move school at that age they get another shot at choosing at about age 15 and that school lasts until 18 or 19 and it's university or otherwise thereafter. 

Before that, they are prioritised to go locally (based on the address card or other evidence).

@Atomheart.. My kids R still learning Hungarian as it's not as easy as English though so it will take time!

We have Permanent Residency of Hungary!

Thank You everyone for answering!

But still my doubts are unclear, since You people are living there, kindly advise me what should we do, once we land in Hungary in June?? Seems that schools will be closed by then.. So which steps should I take that leads me towards settling in Hungary by September??

As moving to a new place is something really difficult with kids! So I really don't know from where to start???

Om Muhammad wrote:

Thank You everyone for answering!

But still my doubts are unclear, since You people are living there, kindly advise me what should we do, once we land in Hungary in June?? Seems that schools will be closed by then.. So which steps should I take that leads me towards settling in Hungary by September??

As moving to a new place is something really difficult with kids! So I really don't know from where to start???

Mrs Fluffy says there will be someone at the schools until about 20 June. 

I would think you should come first and then work on your living space and organising life in general like getting the Internet, gas, electricity etc.  Then your other half and kids should come later.

You really need someone to help you and I expect they will want to be paid.

I am unclear on how you and your family received permanent resident status as it seems no one is Hungarian in your family?
Maybe it's residence through a job?
If so, they should be willing to help you with some details about moving over.
Things do have a way of working out once you arrive.