Immigration and Overstay Issues

@T.DRRR

wow, that was quite a statement...

Yes T.DRRR , we should all follow the letter of the law while we're here , like the woman sitting on the back of a motorcycle w/her 4 kids or driving and parking on the wrong side of the road or better yet , how about getting pulled over after leaving a bar with a few pops in him he wouldn't feel to bad about paying off the police officer to look the other way this one time because they have legal status … it seems to me that the government doesn't really care about it nor do the people who were born and raised here , the police show no sign of putting anyone in jail over it and the only scary story's you hear about anything bad comes from 3rd hand story's …. From some people that seem like their angry maybe because they paid out a few dollars to do the paperwork and now insisting it's the only way one should stay …. Almost like some have been deputized….. lol ,
-@Tippj

You are a funny person.
Congratulations for being a scofflaw. I imagine such things make you feel special.

Do I feel people should be legal. You bet your sweet bippy,  In both places where I am a citizen. 

I'm very happy your content w/ your innermost most Bippy …? but trying to scare people with stories of my friends sister boyfriend's cousin talked to people that were denied entrance … I'm mean Really…. Talk is cheap in the DR and the paparazzi likes to build on one …..Congrats on your citizenship but maybe it's not for everyone at the moment for different reasons…this listing is supposed to help people get it done if one wishes not to have personal opinions push on others …….

I'm very happy your content w/ your innermost most Bippy …? but trying to scare people with stories of my friends sister boyfriend's cousin talked to people that were denied entrance … I'm mean Really…. Talk is cheap in the DR and the paparazzi likes to build on one …..Congrats on your citizenship but maybe it's not for everyone at the moment for different reasons…this listing is supposed to help people get it done if one wishes not to have personal opinions push on others …….
-@Tippj

I am not stating opinions on this: People who have no legal residency, who overstay tourist cards, for example are simply illegal aliens here.That is not an opinion, it is a fact.  I know the person very well who had two of his friends denied re-entry (both Canadians) simply because they previously overstayed.

Tippj you are out of line.    Both Windeguy and I have first hand  knowledge of these  events!   No one is  spreading rumors or fear mongering so you need to back down please.

The law is the law and this SITE by its Terms and Conditions, which we all agreed to, does not and will not encourage anyone to BREAK THE LAW!   

Again we are telling it like it is.  You break the law you takes your chances. Anyone who stays illegally  and  has a "reason" why they cannot be legal....well maybe should not be here.

We can all agree the government could and should implement some changes in their visa system. Until that happens, the law is the law!

I take great pleasure to announce another successful case by Lishali.  I just receive the residency card and cedula this weekend.  I evaluate her services based on competence, honesty, reliability, efficiency, and knowledge.  For those of you who are still undecided about who you want to handle your immigration matters in the DR and don't want to waste your money, I strongly recommend Lishali Baez.  She is on point at all times on immigration issues and changes.  Most of you know if you are diagnosed with any type of cancer to see an oncologist.  It is the same for immigration.  Go with someone with a very good reputation in that field.  Thank you Lishali for a job well done!!!

Congratulation kpetit.  How long did it take and how much did it cost?

@windeguy  It took about 7 months from start to finish.  It took that long because I am actively working in the USA.  I did not travel right away after the visa was issued by the consulate.

Congratulations kpetit!  I currently live in Myrtle Beach, SC. planning to move April 2023.  Should I start my temporary or permanent residence in US? What's the difference between temp/permanent residency?

All residencies start at home.  Temporary is the first step!

Thank you Planner.

De nada!

Congratulations kpetit! I currently live in Myrtle Beach, SC. planning to move April 2023. Should I start my temporary or permanent residence in US? What's the difference between temp/permanent residency?
-@kparsons412

All start in your home country, in this case the USA, with a residency visa in your passport from the local Dominican embassy if you qualify.

Temporary is the first residency you get and then permanent is after a number of temporary residency renewals. There is even a definitive residency after you had enough temporary and permanent residency renewals.

Note: All residencies are really temporary since they have to be renewed. Just think of them as different names for how long they last.

One year, four years, ten years.... It is the DR, don't expect the names to make sense.   I became a citizen to avoid the renewals and dealing with imbeciles at Migracion.

If this is not the right forum for this, please move it, This is new and applies to those squatting here illegally:

New Law - Foreigners Squatting on Private Property or Government Property

On November 11, 2022 president Luis Abinader signed into law (should be in effect in 2023) regarding foreigners squatting on private property or government property without the owner's concent. The law obligates the following:

- The National Police will create a special unit devoted to these crimes.​

- The Interior and Police Ministry will be involved in prosecuting the foreigners caught invading/squatting on private property or government property.​

- The Migration Ministry will be involved in the deportation of any foreigner proven of this crime. All foreigners deported for this crime will be prohibited from entering the DR ever again.

https://dr1.com/forums/attachments/b369 … -png.6622/

https://dr1.com/forums/attachments/ec7e … -png.6623/

I for one appreciate you sharing this information and feel it is imperative for us all to know these updates and the laws. Myself, like many on here are a guest in this country and am thankful for the time I spend here. Actually, I just returned from a 29 day stay because of the information here instead of paying an overstay fee or fine which maybe at one time was thought to be an acceptable practice. Gracias. This information has probably saved me a lot of trouble in the future!

Thanks for sharing. I had not seen this either.

I have seen numerous reports of increased activity in removing illegal people, mostly low paid Haitians.

I have also seen numerous news stores from outside the DR begging the DR government to stop.

On November 14, 2022, the Minister of Industry and Commerce, Ito Bisonó, said that anyone that moves to the DR needs to respect the Dominican constitution, Dominican laws, the religion of Dominicans, Dominican culture... if not, they should never move to the DR. Plus, those foreigners already in the DR and not willing to do any of those things, the DR should either deport them to their country or help them move to another country that apparently wants them.

While this is genersl concerning all foreigners, it goes without saying that an illegal immigrant is violating the migration laws of the DR and he says any foreigner intending to violate Dominican laws should never move to the DR and those foreigners already in the DR violating Dominican laws should be deported or sent to a third country that wants them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iUgm1U … b_imp_woyt

To enforce this, yet another Dominicanism, it should start at home first.  Dominicans must set the example for foreigners illustrating respect for the Dominican constitution, Dominican laws, the religion of Dominicans and Dominican culture.  I very rarely see this in this country and see the opposite every day from Dominicans and foreigners alike.  I agree with the laws but they have to be applied and enforced fairly, consistently and without prejudice or discrimination.  That would make them in line with the International Human rights laws that the Dominican Republic is also obligated to follow and uphold. 

I disagree.   We are visitors / guests in this country.  We need to do better.  What Dominicans do or do not do - its their country!  We do not have to agree with how its done  but it is their right.

People should lead by example …. If we are to learn what the laws actually are we should learn from the people  … when We see them doing something  how are we supposed to know if it's wrong  and against the law … this sounds like the government wagging the tail of the dog …. Just making another distraction to draw attention away from the policy's they  haven't changed  or fell flat

@Planner: As I said, I AGREE with the laws, but I DISAGREE with the enforcement for SOME people and not ALL people. We might be the foreigners but in the bigger picture we are all people. I have had the experience here (in the DR), trying to set the example, spent 8 years in court proving my point to be FINALLY acknowledged by the court and rewarded that we were honoring the Constitutional laws and the company we were suing must do the same. It's a game changer for Condominums being run by ruthless dictators rather than the property owners.

But as a foreigner, it cost me dearly and that shouldn't happen.

I will continue my path...as my path is one of inclusion, not exclusion.

Enjoy your day

I am sure you could find similar enforcement issues in other countries.

Blacks seem to have a harder time with law enforcement than whites , as an example

DominicanadaMike  I absolutely understand your point. They should be the same for all!  Yes, you are correct. But the reality is we are held to a higher standard in the courts, in our businesses and in almost all our dealings.

I too have faced this. I follow the labor laws to the letter. I often am at a competitive disadvantage because of it. But I refuse to abuse  locals to get ahead. And I know you are the same! 

Planner I try to keep myself on a very high standard but we really can't be held to a higher standard here because how I've read here and on other treads that we shouldn't come here and try to change the lifestyles of people  here because we are  “guests “ here and many on this format have said that we should adopt to this  ( their) lifestyle and not inject our way of life into the community I think one tread said if you don't like things here we should just leave and not come e here and trying to change things here but we should adopt to the ways of the host country  now I'm sure I treat the workers and people in general especially women better then most Dominican men  ,but to b held to a higher standard …. ? Who will set that higher standard  for me .. can't b someone with a lower standard then one's self … remember in school the teacher tells the students how to behave but they have to behave also … lead by example 

Lets not nitpick this.  You understand what is said.   There is a line between trying to change things and actually being legal here and acting accordingly.

@planner Hi my overstay question is a bit different and I don't see it covered. I'm buying a property in Cabrera and would like to buy an SUV and get full insurance! Being I will be overstaying my visa (5 months) my license is only good for 90 days as I understand it, is my insurance now void because I'm going passed the 90 days? What usually happens when you get stopped driving and you have been here over 90 days?  Thanks

Ok good questions!  Getting stopped for any reason is one thing.  Many will tell you just "tip" them and it goes away.  Maybe and maybe not.

Get into an accident and it's another story. It does NOT matter who is to blame. If you drive a vehicle and your status is not legal then you are driving illegally and your insurance CAN leave you high and dry!

There is much discussion whether your tourist card extension means you have 90 days or 120 days.  My understanding is that your foreign license is good for 30 days!  The extension is a workaround and does not change your status. 

I have asked 2 lawyers to confirm this! Let's see what they say!

@michael7014 I don't know but please post it when you find out I am in a similar situation I'd like to know what happens if you get into a wreck

@michael7014 I don't know but please post it when you find out I am in a similar situation I'd like to know what happens if you get into a wreck

@planner Hi my overstay question is a bit different and I don't see it covered. I'm buying a property in Cabrera and would like to buy an SUV and get full insurance! Being I will be overstaying my visa (5 months) my license is only good for 90 days as I understand it, is my insurance now void because I'm going passed the 90 days? What usually happens when you get stopped driving and you have been here over 90 days? Thanks
-@michael7014

Planner: When I spoke to the manager of INTRANT in Puerto Plata earlier this year while my wife was getting her motorcycle license (now needed as an additional endorsement even if you already had a license for an automobile ) he told me the valid period for a foreign license in the DR was 30 days, not 90 days.

I would not trust an answer from a lawyer nor an insurance agent, but rather INTRANT themselves.

As for those asking questions about what happens if your license is not valid after being in the DR more than 30 days and will your local insurance actually cover you for an accident? I recently asked this very question to two different insurance agents, one whom I have insurance with, and neither responded. I suspect they want your money and the chips will fall where they may.

I expect the results will vary from accident to accident, company to company and day to day. Way too many variables here to provide a succinct answer.

No concrete answers for you can be given on isolated cases where other people will say, yes I was covered after being here for "x" years while driving on my North American or EU license. Each incident will be different and the data bases are much more closely linked than ever. Are you taking a risk driving without a valid license?  That is up to you to evaluate.

I will attempt to confirm the legal issue and nothing more!  What any insurance company, agent or policy does is not possible to cover!

I can only tell you my experience.  Twice my (Dominican) wife who is licensed and fully insured was hit by another car, the driver had no driver's license and no insurance.  The damage was over 500,000 pesos.  When we got the person's ID and information and reported it to the police, they said they would not pursue it as it would only result in a small fine and not worth their trouble.  So, our insurance covered everything but the lack of a vehicle and the deductible...  Take from that what you will...

I have also been involved in an accident when I had an invalid license (at the time I was over my 30 days by 6 months or so).  Neither the police or the insurance company said anything and my insurance covered me fully.

Again, only my experience.

All thought full answers, getting a DR license is the answer but that has certain criteria regarding residency which we personally are not really looking for at this time. We are still working stiffs at home. The next question then is can anyone obtain a DR license on a tourist visa, is it possible?

Thanks

simple answer Mike... No.  Use Uber and play it safe.  Probably cheaper in the long run.

Yea Mike but we are buying and building a home near Cabrera, there is no Uber in the area, Not a big fan of motos but will get one as second transport to get around town. If our visa is good so is our license as I understand it? Just need to figure out a simple way to keep the visa current. We tried online but the portal wouldn't allow me to go to the next page. Might be our crappy internet here LOL. We can renew at PP Airport I think? A trip to PP to shop and stay legal is not an inconvenience! I was just told we can get a license if you go about it correctly, I know what that means! lived in Mexico for years, they got alot of that correctly stuff!

@michael7014 For a DR license, you need a DR ID.  That is to say, you need a cedula to get a Dominican license.  Driving a moto will just make you more of a target, because you also need a Dominican license to get the sticker for the back of your helmet.  DIGISETT loves to pull over foreigners, at least in Sosua, that don't have the sticker.  I'm sure the "pay to make it go away" attitude helps fatten the officers' wallets.  I personally know a fellow who hit a Dominican with his vehicle and was passed his legal time here, and his insurance all but forced him to pay a very large sum out of pocket to make the problem go away.  Without that, he would have been in jail and the Dominican justice system for who knows how long.  I personally wouldn't risk it, but I understand everybody is in a different situation.  And International Driving Licenses are pretty much just a scam, not recognized anywhere.

As with everything here, "It depends".

You must have a cedula / residencia to get a license to drive here. IF you have a work visa then your international license will work as long as your  work visa is valid.

@DominicanadaMike That's interesting but damn I hate not being straight up when it comes to that stuff, it can mess life up pretty badly. As long as our visa is in order our license should also be,  so should the insurance we are paying for.

@planner HI Planner, my wife and I have stayed past the 30 days, we tried to get the extension online but the site would allow us to select next as we filled out the forms. What can we expect at the airport in your opinion and our visit next year?  Thanks