Immigration and Overstay Issues

Correct,  overstaying is illegal.  The option to pay is a workaround and is accepted.   

We beat that to death some time ago.  Lets not go there again guys.

What benefits would a person get for gaining residency besides the one time shipping of your household goods and not paying the exit overstay fee.  Maybe there should be a higher set fee for up to 5-6 months and then much higher fees for longer than that.  Government makes more money and would push longer term visitors to apply for residency.  My wife and I bought a condo 4 years ago in El Cortecito and currently come 3 months every winter paying $100 exit fee to go back to Canada.  At this moment spending $1000s to get residency makes zero sense.  That being said we just bought land in the Vista Cana project to build a home and either be here 7-8 months a year or full time.  At that point we plan on getting residency since we will be here for longer periods.  Many Canadian and US owners at least in the Punta Cana area are like us staying 3-6 months a year paying the exit fee.  The government is obviously first cracking down on the large number of illegal Haitians living here that are working illegally and not paying taxes, committing crimes, etc.   That is the main problem that needs to be addressed right away.  They are not going to target foreigners who visit this beautiful country and inject money into the economy whether it be in real estate or shopping, dining, etc.   They may increase fees but will never go after snowbirds.  Not a hard concept to grasp.  Target the foreigners costing the country money and leave the ones alone that are here contributing to the economy especially in real estate.  The more real estate developed the more foreign money invested into the local economies and the more taxes the government rakes in.  I'll give you an example to drive this point in.  I am a real estate agent in Canada and started almost 20 years ago,  Throughout my entire career I have charged much less than others.  Why??  I did so to build my client base that expanded way quicker than all the other rookie agents around me which led to referrals and repeat clients to expand that starting client base to one that is now large enough to sit back and wait for clients to come to me.  Did I raise my rates throughout that time, no!!  The moral of that story is to show how the government follows a similar path.  Bring in the foreign money cheaply to begin and watch it grow exponentially creating jobs and taxes.  Don't know about the rest of the DR but we are paying 18% tax on dining out alone in Punta Cana area.  It's basic economics that rules the world no matter what country you live in or travel to.

I told you no one would ever believe the government will actually enforce the laws against gringos.  soldbymike's post is just another example of that.

Why should the law be enforced, is the attitude.  Why be legal as we can just pay the fine on leaving? etc.  As was mentioned, it is a dead horse. Unless the exit fines go away.

Interesting that you point out the need to go after Haitians "committing crimes" but say the DR should leave the snowbirds alone. You do realize that if you stay longer than 30 days (or 120 if you extend), without residency, then you are committing a crime! You have violated the DR's migration laws!

For some of us, we don't need the DR to incentivize us to apply for residency. Respecting the laws of our host country is all it takes for us to comply.

So we are NOT opening this can of worms again.

It is a personal decision to  apply for residency or not.
It is a personal decision to overstay and pay the  workaround fees.

It is a personal consequence, in the future, if something goes wrong.

i think we overworked this topic. illegal means illegal on any language and any country. let' s put it to rest

We are NOT going there.  I am removing the post.

The online requirements for the Staying Extension for up to 120 days have finally been updated to comply with Imigration Law 285-04 Article 40 and Rules of Application Decree 631-11 Article 83 and now confirms the requirement of Own Economic Solvency and and Medical Certificate as has been reported by some posters.

https://migracion.gob.do/en/servicio/stay-extension/

It has taken a long time but they are following what is written in the law.

Here is another bit of very recent news:

Luis Abinader: "Migration Law must be reformed"

https://hoy.com.do/luis-abinader-ley-de … eformarla/

The President of the Republic, Luis Abinader said today that the Migration Law must be modified.

.........“That law must also be modified because for us to be able to obtain work permits in an organized manner, it is very difficult as the law is. To seek a work permit they need a tourist visa, and for that visa they have to go to Haiti and come back," explained the president ........

Whilst the President's comments apear related to changing the rules for Haitian workers to get work permits, one never knows if during a review they would change other visitors visa rules too.

I had wondered when the return ticket would finally come into play. It has always been required of airlines to ask non-residents for one.

Does this mean that airlines will finally be required (and also forced) to ask?
What will happen now if you over stay that already provided return ticket?

Time will tell on those things, but for an extension you now need a return ticket to get the extension.

Economic solvency and a medical certificate were part of the extension previously, but went away. Now they are both back along with that return ticket. Those pesky laws... One thing is for sure, the extension and the changes have nothing to do with Haitians.

Having a return ticket was always a requirement for the Staying Extension described on tge DGM website. Economic solvency and a medical check were not but had been requested by people applying through the online portal since early last year.

It is the receiving immigration officer in DR who is responsible for checking non residents hold a return ticket. Most dont.

Airlines are responsible for repatriating at their cost anyone who tries to enter DR without a return ticket if the immigration office checks and it is decided to repariate the visitor, and so some check at check in.

Equally it is the responsibility of any non resident to hold a return ticket for the extent of their stay in DR.

Policy is gradually reflecting what is wrtten in the law and regulations, yet the President sees need for further reform specifically to smooth the process of granting work permits to Haitian workers needed in key industries.

During the pandemic they changed the work visa rules. A salary minimum of 25,000 Rd a month is required.  That eliminates almost all construction and service worker levels.  The very high unemployment level was supposedly the reason and it makes sense. 

Except: Dominicans won't do most of those construction jobs.  And, many employers won't pay proper legal wages on many of those jobs!  They use illegal labor to save money, get a work force and keep their workers compliant by threatening deportation!

My mistake, it did require the return ticket previously. That was easy to work around by purchasing a fully refundable ticket.  What disappeared and now reappeared again are the financial solvency proof and a medical exam. (And there is the issue that most airlines still don't ask for a return ticket even though the DR government requires them to ask for one.)

Hello!

We want to extend our tourist visa, but have small problems with 'Certificado Médico'. What is exactly and where we can get it? Is it certificate of covid vaccination or what is it?

It's a doctor's certificate saying you have no infectious diseases etc.  Go to any private clinic for it.  You have to pay for it

Sondrax wrote:

Hello!

We want to extend our tourist visa, but have small problems with 'Certificado Médico'. What is exactly and where we can get it? Is it certificate of covid vaccination or what is it?

It's easy to get. Most doctors charge 1000-1500 pesos for it. The doctor asks you if you have any illnesses, diseases, etc before signing off on a certificate saying you're healthy. I walked into a doctor's office without an appointment and had the certificate within 20 minutes. Then you just upload a photo of the document with your application.

i was told that w/o return ticket I would not be able to fly by AA desk clerk, so i had to buy return ticket.
in other words that is a must now

Oscarsahony Sanchez wrote:

i was told that w/o return ticket I would not be able to fly by AA desk clerk, so i had to buy return ticket.
in other words that is a must now

"They" will believe it is a must when all airlines always ask.

Yes, that is the rule .... if it's enforced....not always enforced
But you can be turned away at departure - or on arrival --

Both can ask for it

Hello All,

I am getting ready to buy a Condo in  Punta Cana area,  I would like to come for the winter months, Is it true you need to leave the county after 30 days or drive to the capitol and try to extend your time? Any updated info and links if possible would get you a free Margarita once I settle in.

Bobby Maurone

rfmaurone wrote:

Hello All,

I am getting ready to buy a Condo in  Punta Cana area,  I would like to come for the winter months, Is it true you need to leave the county after 30 days or drive to the capitol and try to extend your time? Any updated info and links if possible would get you a free Margarita once I settle in.

Bobby Maurone

You can extend online, no need to drive to Santo Domingo.

rfmaurone wrote:

Hello All,

Bobby Maurone

Process is super easy, and they approve the extension within 3 business days.

Bobby - welcome to the forum and congratulations on the condo purchase!

Here's the link for the stay extension: https://migracion.gob.do/en/servicio/stay-extension/

rfmaurone wrote:

Hello All,

Bobby Maurone

The maximum stay is for a total of 120 days where you can prepay the overstay fine by doing this:

https://migracion.gob.do/en/servicio/stay-extension/

Thank you for the information, have a good night.

Costa Rica as well.

yes, it took me like 2 days to get it.
easy to do. just have all docs , upload and wait. payonline or at airport.

Hello,

I am here for 38 days this time.  It means I am 8 days overstayed when I return home.  Do I really need to pay $1500 for a medical certificate (why) since I am already paying for a PCR test before I leave which is about $80 usd.  When I leave I fill out the exit pass for customs and then another $2500 pesos for the visa extension, since I will put on the exit pass I was here 38 days.  If you go to the airport and they make you pay it there, then how can you get the medical test?  I doubt you can get a medical test at the airport so then what?  There are 2 processes, one without a medical test (at the airport) and the other one online, that requires the medical test?

Medical test is ONLY if you ask in advance for an extension. Paying at the airport just follow covid protocols.

The difference is asking permission versus begging forgiveness! Applying for an extension allows you to remain in the country legally by asking the DR government to extend your legal stay.

Just showing up at the airport and saying "Oops, I overstayed!' means you are paying a penalty for being in the country illegally. Paying the fine does not erase the fact that you overstayed and could impact your ability to reenter the country, as we have seen at least anecdotally. So actually, you aren't really being forgiven!

While people have gotten away with overstays year after year, I will continue to beat the drum for doing things legally and respecting the laws (however poorly enforced) of your host country.

Great info thank you

It would make much more sense if the requirement were for proof of medical insurance cover, because the 1500 pesos medical letter makes the staying extension more costly with added hassle.

The rules have been established for all nationalities for the staying extension and they seek to determine if the person applying can support the added time here economically and not be a burden on the Dominican health system.

If the government is committed to applying the immigration law in full, making the staying extension much more attractive than the meagre economic penalty on departure is an easy and quick solution.

It is my opinion that the DR only gives you 30 days so they have an opportunity to collect an extra fee when you leave. Since lots of people stay longer than 30 days this translates into quite a bit of extra revenue. I think that they should be more straight-forward about it and charge you for the amount of time you wish to stay when you first enter the country. That would make a better impression of the DR with tourists.

What is required to do for the medical letter?

Seeing as how we are guests in this country tourists should follow the rules. The amount of money collected by overstay fines is a drop in the bucket compared to rest of tourism income.

We are expecting 7 million tourists this year!

I absolutely agree we need different tourism visa durations that you qualify for, pay for and receive before arriving. But it is what it is!

KarinyCarlos wrote:

Hello,

I am here for 38 days this time.  It means I am 8 days overstayed when I return home.  Do I really need to pay $1500 for a medical certificate (why) since I am already paying for a PCR test before I leave which is about $80 usd.  When I leave I fill out the exit pass for customs and then another $2500 pesos for the visa extension, since I will put on the exit pass I was here 38 days.  If you go to the airport and they make you pay it there, then how can you get the medical test?  I doubt you can get a medical test at the airport so then what?  There are 2 processes, one without a medical test (at the airport) and the other one online, that requires the medical test?

If you have already overstayed, you are not eligible to apply for the extension. It must be requested within the first 30 days that you are in the country.

DRVisitor wrote:

What is required to do for the medical letter?

A doctor to certify that you are healthy, and not currently suffering from COVID-19 or any other medical conditions.

What is the typical cost for this for a doctor in DR?

DRVisitor wrote:

What is the typical cost for this for a doctor in DR?

Usually around 1500 DOP.

WELL SAID!! COSTA RICA IS ONE SUCH COUNTRY. THAT'S WHY YOU DON'T HEAR ABOUT THEIR POVERTY LEVEL BEING HIGH. EXPATS WITH MONEY(AKA: PENSION/RETIREMENT) ARE VERY WELCOMED WITHOUT ANY RED TAPE/CORRUPTION. THAT IS EXACTLY WHY COSTA RICA IS CONSIDERED THE SWITZERLAND OF THE AMERICAS.

JoeP please don't type in all caps.  That means you are yelling at us and I am sure that is not your intent.

You are talking about two different things here.  The DR, like Costa Rica, invites those who qualify to get residency.  In fact the qualifications in CR are tougher than here

This thread is about overstaying a tourist card.