Intercultural relationships in Zimbabwe

Hello,

We invite you to share some fun anecdotes and information regarding intercultural marriages and relationships in Zimbabwe. This will provide some insight to current and future expats regarding relationship norms in mixed relationships and marriages in Zimbabwe.

What are some of the best things about being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

What are some challenges that you have faced or are currently facing? How do you address them?

Are intercultural relationships/marriages common and accepted in Zimbabwe?

What are the benefits to being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

Do you have any fun or interesting anecdotes to share regarding dating norms and rules for intercultural relationships/marriages?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Hi, Zimbabwe does have interracial dating and marriages. But most couples i've seen are locals dating foreigners-this might be due to the fact that the local white people tend to keep more to themselves,though you do get some friendly ones. So interracial couples are normal here though there's not many of them.

I am a Belgian citizen (quite white...) and married my quite black wife 6 years ago when we were both working in Johannesburg. There's a 17 year age gap, the same as with my Zimbabwean parents in law (Mkua, Kezi). I sat on the reeds mat and paid lobola (10 cows + 1 penalty goat for living together before getting married!).
We are running a preschool in Bulawayo. My wife is director and I occupy myself with accounting. It's always quite funny to see the reaction of prospective parents when they first meet with me in the office and then my wife walks in subsequently wearing a school uniform (T-Shirt and flat shoes) and introducing herself as the director! It also confuses the hell out of salespeople ;-)
My experience after 1.5 year in Gaborone, Botswana, 3.5 year in Johannesburg, South Africa and now 5 years in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe is that Zimbabwe by far the most relaxed country when it comes to interracial couples. Probably the only ones who show any concerns are the white hidden minority. Oh, and I just need to be aware that veggies at the market are at least double in price when I show up ;-)

Very funny about the veggies and the prices. I couldn't stop laughing.  It's so true though. Soon you will be sending your wife to do the groceries, just to keep the prices low.   :)