Inquiry about work and life in Mauritius

Hello dears
Great thanks for you all ,

My job is Oriental and arabic pastry chef - Baklava chef ,

I am looking forward  to  receive a fast reply for  my inquiry ,

I have received a job offer in Mauritius ,

So I need information about the cost of living in Mauritius , the prices of the goods , meals , services  , transportation , mobile calls , internet , electricity , water  medicines and the fees of medication in hospital or clinic ,,,,

And also please ,  for the medical examination  which is needed  for issuing  the work permit in Mauritius  ,

Is the work permit  needed to be issued in Mauritius before travelling  , or after travelling ?

If before travelling , the medical examination  needed to be done in my country egypt  , must be done  in private or governmental hospital , need to be documented from the the ministry of the foreign affairs and  from the embassy of Mauritius here in Egypt ?

The results of the medical examination must be sent by post or only a scan copy ?

Thanks ,

Waiting for your reply

Hello dears  , great thanks for you and for your advices , 

Please dears   , i have some questions for you about work in Mauritius , because I have not find any answers for them in the ministry website , as your are the living and working in Mauritius ,

As it is the first time for me to  receive a job offer in Mauritius  ,

- What about the average salary for the job of  (  Pastry chef or Oriental and arabic pastry chef ) in Mauritius ?

- Is there a sponsorship system in work for expatriates workers  in Mauritius , in transferring to a new work and working for a  new employer  , as the expatriate worker got a new job offer , a new contract of employment, while he is working in Mauritius with his present employer ,

by working for a new employer and getting a new work permit , resident permit and a new local Id related to the new employer ?

- Is it possible for the expatriate employee to travel abroad to any country or to his original country without the agreement of the employer ?

-Is it possible for the expatriate employee to work in  more than one place of work at the same time , either as a part time  or in weekly vacation or as full time ( second shift ) after finishing his  daily work  ,  ( one place of them  he is  working with the employer with work permit , resident  permit and local Id ) ?

-if any disputes or problems happened between the employer and the employee , any of  the items and the agreements will be followed and committed , which are written at the signed contract of employment or at  the signed  offer letter , especially if there are items in the offer letter which conflict what are in the ministry form for contract of employment  , and both letters are issued by the employer  ?

-Is it allowed for the expatriates to work in any place working in hospitality field ( hotel - resort - motel - inn - restaurant  ) or in  catering company or confectionery  factory or  sweets shop with any educational qualifications , or it needs specific qualifications ( as my qualification is  medium diploma in tourism and hotels , and have experience certificates ) ?

- is it necessary for the expatriate to have all his documents and certificates translated to the English and documented from the ministry of foreign affairs and the embassy of Mauritius before coming to Mauritius , such as ( certificate of birth - educational certificates - criminal record ) ?

Great thanks for you ,

Waiting for your reply

Hi Arabic Pastry Chef,

I advice you to download the Mauritius Expat guide here :

https://www.expat.com/en/guide/africa/mauritius/ click on Free dowload button.

Good luck,
Christine

Hi it is good that you got a job offer, but be careful when signing the contract because if they offer you to work full time they may put you on a trainee salary which is less then 10 000 mauritian rupees which is not alot and it is expensive to live in Mauritius so if this happens you lay down your own terms before you sign any contract