Free and low-cost leisure activities in Portugal

Hello,

We invite you to share some information regarding leisure activities that are free or low-cost in Portugal. This information will give future expats (or even current expats) an idea regarding some of leisure activities that they might not be aware of.

Is there a way to find out about free or low-cost fun activities in Portugal, such as a specific app, or a newsletter, or magazine, tourism board, etc.? How do you find out where events are organised?

What are the most common free leisure activities in Portugal?
Which free activities do you recommend for children, for teenagers, for adults, and for seniors?

Are there certain days where access to paid activities are offered at a lower price or even for free, such as museum entry, or exhibitions, or a theme park, etc.?

How do you maximise your leisure activities in the most cost-effective manner?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

An acquaintance of mine who is a local resident living on Pico on a very limited income recently received a whopping €60 parking fine on Pico near the Euroapotheca and EDA in Madalena where entire streets are being remodeled and the taxi stand was moved across the plaza next to the important shops. For your information, an average salary on Pico island is just €500 a month. The taxi drivers are now preying on people who look foreign and call the police to issue parking fines even if those spaces remain empty for the entire day and local cars are being parked there unmolested. What a ripoff without properly announcing the change. Tourists beware, especially those driving rental cars.

I think this is a great question and I hope more people respond.
I haven't moved to Portugal yet, but I was thinking what I might do and here is my partial list of inexpensive things to do:
Tennis, learn a musical instrument, learn to paint, walk or join a hike club, volunteer a few days a week, beach trips, learn to cook, read, cinema, fishing, camping, bicycle, library, photography, amateur acting, pet mind, dog walk, chess, body board, surf, snorkle dive, canoe, badminton, visit/explore local towns, star gaze, visit produce market, teach dog tricks, bird watch, go to museums on Sunday when they are free, join a local class in something, play walking football.

Hello,
My small contribution: The Portugal News is Portugal's National Newspaper in English. Alghough it is normally sold for 1.5 euros, it is widely distributed for free in supermarkets in the Algarve, like Appolonia, Pingo Doce, Adli.
It is always very interesting.
JP