Free and low-cost leisure activities in China

Hello,

We invite you to share some information regarding leisure activities that are free or low-cost in China. This information will give future expats (or even current expats) an idea regarding some of leisure activities that they might not be aware of.

Is there a way to find out about free or low-cost fun activities in China, such as a specific app, or a newsletter, or magazine, tourism board, etc.? How do you find out where events are organised?

What are the most common free leisure activities in China?
Which free activities do you recommend for children, for teenagers, for adults, and for seniors?

Are there certain days where access to paid activities are offered at a lower price or even for free, such as museum entry, or exhibitions, or a theme park, etc.?

How do you maximise your leisure activities in the most cost-effective manner?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

There are many Expat organizations and websites for individual cities. Such as Schenzhenparty. com. They have listings for housing an help groups. If you are able to speak the local language, you can find organization and social groups to help you.

Ride share bicycles are very cheap, OFO is even free. Just download the application.

Going to BBQ at night is also very cheap. You can buy beer at a 7-11 for 2 yuan a 600 mL bottle. So ten bottles will run you 20 RMB. You can sit outside and enjoy BBQ. A skewer of chicken will run you from 2 yuan to 4 yuan. You can eat your fill, and drink until you pass out, for two people for under 60 RMB. That is $10 for two people.

A manicure will run you $35 RMB.

A massage can be pretty cheap as well. It might be under 100 RMB if you find a local place.

Pingpong is free. You just bring your own paddles.

Basketball is free. You just bring a ball and some friends.

Fishing on the beach is free. No permits are required. Just bring a fishing rod.

Hiking in many of the larger parks are free as well. Just bring some water along with you.

Kite flying in the park is fun. It is free, you just make your own kite or build a kit.

Shanghai and Suzhou have That's magazine, thatsmagsDotCom, also smartshanghaiDotCom and wechat accounts with daily postings about what's going on, some of these events are charity events, for free!

Occasionally museum, zoo, parks, towers in Shanghai cut the entrance fee by up to 50% and that means wasting several hours in the queue!

A local health spa may be incredibly cheap.  We paid about $12 for 2 all you can eat meals, a movie, and all day of using the spa.  But it was full of smokers, ha.

When I was in Shenzhen, I spent 2 days ( separately, not 48 hours together ! ) in a day spa.  Wonderful experience ... and cost me nothing because the hotel complex I was staying at had a mutual agreement at the spa.  My first time there was a little nerve-wracking ( my language skills were basic, and, I went alone ) but I took full advantage of the pool and other amenities there.  I think in those 2 days I finished a book and burned off a million calories while swimming.  I wouldn't hesitate to pay if I had to.