Brand Name Medication

Hi All!  I take 2 different brand name medications. I've experienced problems with the generic versions by various manufacturers.  My thyroid med, for example:  the generic is Levothyroxine (tried 3 different manufacturers) does not relieve my symptoms nearly as well as "Armour", a brand name medication.    My health insurance will not cover brand name medications. I pay approximately $50.00 a month vs the $2.00 I would pay for the generic (approximately 570 colones vs 2850 colones).  Can anyone tell me if they take any brand name medications and the price they pay in CR?  Thank you  :)

4theloveofsun wrote:

Hi All!  I take 2 different brand name medications. I've experienced problems with the generic versions by various manufacturers.  My thyroid med, for example:  the generic is Levothyroxine (tried 3 different manufacturers) does not relieve my symptoms nearly as well as "Armour", a brand name medication.    My health insurance will not cover brand name medications. I pay approximately $50.00 a month vs the $2.00 I would pay for the generic (approximately 570 colones vs 2850 colones).  Can anyone tell me if they take any brand name medications and the price they pay in CR?  Thank you  :)

You would need to first find out if the medication is available at all.  Some medication here are more expensive than the States.  Others will be a fraction of what they cost in the States.  You also need to check with several different pharmacies.  You will find pharmacies that are literally a few blocks apart charge radically different prices for the same medication.  It's something you have to just figure out once you're in the community you relocate to.

Does anyone take Armour to know if it's even available here?  If not, I'll try to remember to check next time I go in to town.  How many mg. is it?

- Expat Dave

Thank you for your quick reply Dave!  Same here, that is if you shop around you'll save a lot of money.  GoodRX is a quick way to compare prices without leaving my chair.  Walmart, CVS, etc. may be cheaper for one medication but overpriced for another.