Living in Cuenca

Hola todos,

My wife and I moved to Cuenca, Ecuador last July and have thoroughly enjoyed living in our newly adopted country.
Prior to our move here, we did a 10 day Expat Crash Course tour of Ecuador, during the summer of 2016 (Ecuador Expats Journeys).  This was a very wise decision on our part. It solidified in our minds that Ecuador was were we wanted to retire.
After teaching high school mathematics in Canada for the past 30 years, I retired last June and we immediately relocated to Cuenca. As we now continue to witness online how nasty this winter has been so far in parts of North America, I know we made the right decision!
My major task now, since arriving here, is to try to learn Spanish. This is a new experience for me, as Spanish is not spoken in Canada.  Personal, I am finding it a very frustrating language to learn, but "poco a poco", I hope to eventually become convercent.
If there is an opportunity for me to help teach or tutor high school math here, I know I would welcome that also.

Lastly, we are looking forward to "adding to our family" soon!  We have chosen a very cute little 3-month old Shih Tzu puppy, who will come to live with us by the end of this month.  Ah, the "baby stage" again... won't that be fun!  So, over this next few weeks, we will be keeping our eyes and ears open for all of the dog supplies we will need to reassemble!

I guess that's it for now,
Blake (aka: Blekito)

Blekito wrote:

My major task now, since arriving here, is to try to learn Spanish. This is a new experience for me, as Spanish is not spoken in Canada.  I am finding it a very frustrating language,,,,

Dear Blekito,

Welcome to the Cuenca and Ecuador forums of https://www.expat.com ....

Have you visited the Ecuador forum's thread titled "Shortcuts to Learning español"?

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=458672

-- cccmedia

Blekito wrote:

Hola todos,

My wife and I moved to Cuenca, Ecuador last July and have thoroughly enjoyed living in our newly adopted country.
Prior to our move here, we did a 10 day Expat Crash Course tour of Ecuador, during the summer of 2016 (Ecuador Expats Journeys).  This was a very wise decision on our part. It solidified in our minds that Ecuador was were we wanted to retire.
After teaching high school mathematics in Canada for the past 30 years, I retired last June and we immediately relocated to Cuenca. As we now continue to witness online how nasty this winter has been so far in parts of North America, I know we made the right decision!
My major task now, since arriving here, is to try to learn Spanish. This is a new experience for me, as Spanish is not spoken in Canada.  Personal, I am finding it a very frustrating language to learn, but "poco a poco", I hope to eventually become convercent.
If there is an opportunity for me to help teach or tutor high school math here, I know I would welcome that also.

Lastly, we are looking forward to "adding to our family" soon!  We have chosen a very cute little 3-month old Shih Tzu puppy, who will come to live with us by the end of this month.  Ah, the "baby stage" again... won't that be fun!  So, over this next few weeks, we will be keeping our eyes and ears open for all of the dog supplies we will need to reassemble!

I guess that's it for now,

Don't worry about it because whatever is frustrating you will eventually pass as you continue to learn. I am stating this from personal experience. Just make sure you complete a beginner course (level A1/A2), as it will be your foundation.

For frustrating topics, youtube is a tremendous resource for beginners, but practicing what you learn via conversation will make all the difference in reaching your goal to become conversant.

Thank you for this encouragement.
-Blekito

I have not yet visited this Spanish tread yet.  I will take a look. Thanks!
-Blekito

Hi everybody.  I would dearly like to hear your impressions on Cuenca from the perspective of an ex-pat.  I'm currently living in Colombia and I am looking to make a lifestyle move.  I have heard in the first post that you have thoroughly enjoyed it in Cuenca (in the first post) and I was hoping you might be able to perhaps elaborate a little, please.  I would especially like to hear about the people living around you, any security concerns you may have,  quality of life,  noise, pollution or anything else that has contributed to (or maybe detracted from) your enjoyment of Cuenca as a great place to live.  Thank you :)

Hello Blake ,

Congrats on your move to Cuenca . My wife and I were there about 4 years ago and we loved it.
We are coming back again on December for another 3 months and may end up living there some day also.
During our stay there we used to visit a place called "Monday Blue" . They served a rum drink there called "Minta Nevada". It is one of my fav drinks and I have not seen it anywhere else in my travels.
Would you happen to know if Monday Blue is still in business ?

Thanks,
Bob Fowler