Father born in northern ireland

Hi, my name is karen and i live in south africa. I have been trying to apply for british citizenship as my father was born in northern ireland but i am unable to locate my parents marriage certificate although my unabridged birth certificate indicates that my father was born there. Is there any other means of applying for it  or a visa if all else fails.

Im desperate. Thank you.

Hi Karen,

Have you considered applying for an Irish passport instead as you're also entitled to it?  And it can be used in both the UK and Ireland...my father was also born in Northern Ireland and I've only ever switched to a British passport once while I was at uni because it was cheaper at the time but other than that I much prefer the Irish passport.  And it would also be less hassle than getting a British visa which is getting harder by the day but here's a link to the site that tells you what your options are: https://www.gov.uk/apply-uk-visa

Failing that, did your parents get married in SA?  You should be able to get a replacement marriage certificate. 

I hope this is of some help.

Best wishes,

Barbara