Do south africans need student visas in ireland?

Hey evrybody!

I'm going to dublin in september and I needa know if I need a student visa, I went to the embassy here in south africa and they say they don't do student visas...I've also checked some websites and they tell me I don't need one...

Can anyone help me on this subject? Totally confused on what is going on...

Hi HBH, I have two suggestions to make. One, go back to the embassy and find out basically the condition of migration to Ireland by a South African. Whatever answer you're given, I suppose, is the best answer. The embassy is there for you and to attend to matters concerning migration to Ireland and its relationship with SA. Two, you have already done this, perhaps you may do it again, search Google vis-a-vis visa free countries to Ireland. If South Africa is among, then as soon as you get there, you can enroll in your choice school whereupon the school sees to securing you a student visa. These are my humble suggestions. Welcome to expatriate forum where everybody is somebody. I ask you to enjoy it whilst it lasts. Jabulani. (Tell me what jabulani means because I know it is a term in SA, hahaha)

Hey Jabulani!

Thanks for the reply! Really appreciate it. As far as I know, south africans don't need an entry visa to ireland but apparently I need a student visa, which does really help me if my embassy doesn't do it...so I don't know hehe

I have applied and been accepted to a college already and they have informed me that they don't visas for students and I need to go to the irish embassy in south africa but once again I was told that the irish embassy in south africa don't issue student visas...

And your name means " to celebrate" or "rejoice" its a zulu word. One of our official languages.

And thank you again for your help

Maybe I suggest you prepare and go to Ireland. As soon as you get there, you can personally lodge your student visa application to the Irish Immigration office in Dublin. That the school doesn't assist students in that regard does not mean that you wont get it yourself. I wish you good luck and safety as you fly to Ireland. Don't forget to always keep in touch with us here in expatriate forum. Jabulani

Hi home-brewed-hottie,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I have moved your discussion on the Dublin forum for better visibility.

I hope other members will be able to give you information about the student visa in Ireland.

I wish you good luck
Christine

Better! Thank you Christine

Hi there

South African's don't need a visa to enter Ireland, however when you're coming through immigration you will need to show relevant documentation such as travel insurance, return flight, a letter from the college you'll be studying at etc. When you get into Dublin you will need to go to the immigration office and get a stamp in your passport as well as a GNIB card which costs €150. The visa will last for as long as your college year lasts.
Hope that helps!

perfectly okay