If I renounce my US citizenship and hand over my passport- then what?

OK,  for instance...... I renounce my US citizenship while I am in the US, and hand over my passport. I am not able to stay in the US as an expat, but now what do I do? I have to go somewhere but how?
Or..... Do I renounce while I am in Ireland, if so. What are my options then????

You cannot renounce citizenship in the US, you must be abroad at an USA embassy and prove you hold another citizenship, among several other things, including facing any legal or tax consequences before renouncement is finalised.  It is not so simple as you may imagine.

Romaniac
Expat.com Experts Team

How do you get a citizenship in another country?  I have tried to find the information but only get confused and the run around.

Kimberrmason4813 wrote:

How do you get a citizenship in another country?  I have tried to find the information but only get confused and the run around.

This forum is dedicated only to Ireland, and the Irish govt clearly discusses it on their Citizens Information website.

Kimberrmason4813 wrote:

Or..... Do I renounce while I am in Ireland, if so. What are my options then????

I understand Ireland allows you to retain your US citizenship so no actual need to get rid of it.

Or is there another reason?

Ok, my questions are as follow:

1. How do I stay longer then 90 days. As a visitor I can't work and from what I understand, I can't look for work.
2. If I sign up with a volunteer org. can I stay longer then that?
3. Or I know I can stay 90 days, so after that I have to leave Ireland for 90 days or can I only be there 90 days in one year? (Still confused on that)
4. I kind of have a plan, if I stay in the UK for 2 months, then go to Ireland for 3 months, then back to UK for 2 months, hop over to the EU for 3 months and then back to the UK for 2 months, then I have done my 3 months in Ireland, my 6 months in the UK and my 3 months in the EU. So I can just start over and do the whole thing over again, or will they not like that?
5. If I do that, how do I have show I have a residence in Ireland or can I use just a mailing address to show residency or will I have to be in possession of a lease?

A very confused
Kim

Kimberrmason4813 wrote:

Ok, my questions are as follow:

1. How do I stay longer then 90 days. As a visitor I can't work and from what I understand, I can't look for work.
2. If I sign up with a volunteer org. can I stay longer then that?
3. Or I know I can stay 90 days, so after that I have to leave Ireland for 90 days or can I only be there 90 days in one year? (Still confused on that)
4. I kind of have a plan, if I stay in the UK for 2 months, then go to Ireland for 3 months, then back to UK for 2 months, hop over to the EU for 3 months and then back to the UK for 2 months, then I have done my 3 months in Ireland, my 6 months in the UK and my 3 months in the EU. So I can just start over and do the whole thing over again, or will they not like that?
5. If I do that, how do I have show I have a residence in Ireland or can I use just a mailing address to show residency or will I have to be in possession of a lease?

A very confused
Kim

1.  You may stay longer than 90 days by obtaining a long stay visa.  You are correct that you cannot work, though nothing stops you from applying/interviewing for work.  You'll need to advise the employer though that you require visa sponsorship and a work permit.  You will need to return home however to apply for the visa at the local embassy.
2.  Yes, if they are an approved NGO, etc...
3.  You may stay 90 days within a 180 day period.
4.  Ireland and UK are both part of the EU.  Perhaps you meant the Schengen area? Frankly, it doesn't sound like a feasible plan at all, and will likely raise questions at the borders.  How do you intend to support yourself in this scheme anyway?
5.  If you do what?  You cannot have residence in Ireland until you get a long stay visa.  Once you have a visa and enter Ireland, you can obtain residence by showing proof of accommodation (e.g. rental agreement/lease), and fulfilling the other requirements.