TAX CLEARANCE

How long does it take to get tax clearance letter from LHDN after application?

Walk-in application should take about 5-7 working days

Thank you

Dear Gravitas,

I am shifting jobs in malaysia. I have already got my tax clearance from LHDN and also shortened my visa. My new employer is now ready to apply for my new EP. But they are asking me for eBE and tax payment receipt. Since, I have done manual filing (not e filing), I cannot get eBE or tax payment receipt. My tax clearance letter shows tax balance to be paid. My previous employer is holding back my last salary for the purpose of paying my tax. But they are too slow and my new employer say they cannot proceed without clearing all my tax.

Is it wise to pay back my tax in cash to LHDN and get zero tax balance so that my new employer can proceed with EP processing?

Or should i wait for my old employer to clear my tax? How will I know when my old employer will pay LHDN and clear my tax?

What document will LHDN give me when i clear all my documents? I cannot download eBE, because i did walk in and submitted documents manually. e-filing will begin only by march every year.

Thank you,

Best regards,
Barani.

How to do tax filling ?
and What to keep to get tax refund later ? coz I have acrossed 2 year period (2017, 2018) for non-resident tax waiting until get resident acknowledge
so let say I do tax filling on 2018, on 2019 can get refund or not ?

You need to do your tax filing for 2017 now or latest by the end of April - This will establish your tax record.  Unfortunately no equalisation of non-resident -v- resident tax rates, until you either complete your 2018 return or leave employment/country. You wont reach tax-resident status for 2018 until about July this year. 

To link tax years, you must not have had more than 14 days social absences (holiday) from Malaysia. The tax office will revisit your 2017 tax return, and you will be charged only tax-resident rate for 2017 (retrospectively). But to get that you must file your tax returns for both 2017 for 2018 (to be done before 30 April each year). Monthly tax is always deducted.

HASIL FAQs - http://www.hasil.gov.my/bt_goindex.php? … ;bt_sequ=1

E-filing is the most efficient and the records are available online - http://www.hasil.gov.my/bt_goindex.php? … p;bt_lgv=2

@Gravitas
which form I should use on your link ?
is it Form M/MT  ?

It's BE i think for employees

if it is online,my company said if it is online will take one month along with cancellation