Marriage and Citizenship in Cape Verde

Hello Sir, my partner and I would like to get married in Cape Verde. We are not interested in the citizenship. we just need the legal document to come back and show in Canada. it will be a destination wedding. what are the requirements please? notice period, documents required, etc?

Hello Sir, my partner and I would like to get married in Cape Verde. We are not interested in the Cape verdean citizenship. We are both Cameroonian and I live in Canada. we need the legal document to come back and show in Canada for him to come and join me here. it will be a destination wedding. what are the requirements please? notice period, documents required, etc?

@CVAngelo Hello Sir, my partner and I would like to get married in Cape Verde. We are not interested in the Cape Verdean citizenship. We are both Cameroonian and he lives in Cameroon while I live in Canada. We need the legal document to come back and show in Canada so that he can come join me. It will be a destination wedding. What are the requirements, please? Notice period, documents required, etc?

Hello Sir, my partner and I would like to get married in Cape Verde. We are not interested in the citizenship. we just need the legal document to come back and show in Canada. it will be a destination wedding. what are the requirements please? notice period, documents required, etc?
-@Etondi

Hi Etondi,

Getting legally married in Cape Verde is more complicated than the citizenship process. Since both of you are nationals of Cameroon, each of you will be required to obtain a number of documents and to authenticate them.

Since you are not from Europe or the US, the authentication methods will need to be discussed.

Please contact me via private message to discuss.

Best regards,

Angelo

@CVAngelo .. I am also interested in getting married in CV . What are some of the things needed?

@CVAngelo .. I am also interested in getting married in CV . What are some of the things needed?
-@Tomapep

Hi Tomapep,

As I mentioned in the other responses above, it is too complicated to discuss here on the public forum. You will have to send me a private message.

Cheers,

Angelo

@CVAngelo

Hello

Where can i find  and meet a partner in cape verde for marriage?

Do you can help me?

Is there any language requerments for citizenship?

Thank you for your attention

Ale

By going there

Hi

@CVAngelo
Hello
Where can i find  and meet a partner in cape verde for marriage?
Do you can help me?
Is there any language requerments for citizenship?
Thank you for your attention
Ale

-@jubeln2015

Hi Ale,

To find and meet a partner in Cape Verde, you must come to Cape Verde. There's no other way.

Yes, for citizenship, you must prove that you understand Portuguese/Kriolu or that you are learning it. English is not spoken here. Your citizenship interview is conducted in Portuguese.

Best regards,

Angelo

@CVAngelo

Is CV Portuguese a much different dialect and language than that of Brazil or Portugal?  I assume a basic level of understanding and speaking could get you through the interview?

You mention learning that if you're in the process of learning the language that may suffice?  How would you prove you're learning except to be able to understand and speak at a basic level?  Would showing proof of enrollment and/or completion of language classes satisfy the interviewee? 

Thanks.

@CVAngelo
Is CV Portuguese a much different dialect and language than that of Brazil or Portugal?  I assume a basic level of understanding and speaking could get you through the interview?
You mention learning that if you're in the process of learning the language that may suffice?  How would you prove you're learning except to be able to understand and speak at a basic level?  Would showing proof of enrollment and/or completion of language classes satisfy the interviewee? 

Thanks.

-@popebop

The Portuguese spoken in Cape Verde is not a dialect. They were a Portuguese colony and they speak the Portuguese of Portugal. It is the official language of the country. The dialect that is spoken is called Kriolu.

You can prove that you are learning Portuguese or Kriolu by showing that you are enrolled or have received a diploma from language class. The interview is conducted in Portuguese, so if you do not speak the Portuguese of Portugal or Brazil, you will have no idea what you are being asked. Therefore, you will need a translator to be present with you during the interview, even if you are learning the language.

Cheers,

Angelo

Hey Angelo,

Long time no talk.

A translator is fine.  My Spanish is good 'nuf, my Portuguese, barely any. I just didn't want to have to learn another language (Kriolu) to get through the process.  As long as CV is okay with a translator, than so am I.

So, what's the current status of the nationality laws of Cabo Verde regarding the ability to immediately apply for citizenship after marriage to a CV national?

Last I heard, there were rumblings in the National Assembly and/or legislature about changing the laws/constitution in regards to immediate citizenship. However, I know that these rumos are often just rumors, spun up by conniving politicians, and floated out to the media to score political points with the people.

Is immediate citizenship still being conferred on individuals married to CV nationals?

2024 may be my year to become a citizen of your fine country.

FWIW, I know the music of the legendary Horace Silver very well, and have performed  it here in the US.  Don't know if that will score any points with the locals. But it can't hurt.

Regards,

Pop

Wow!  This is very informative. Great posts!

@CVAngelo I'd be really interested to have this packet related to marriage in CV. Let me know what the best process is to receive this.

Hello Angelo

I understand laws may of changed recently, on wait time for citizenship and passport. May have to wait five years after marriage, unless you are working or going to school in CV?  Have you heard of any changes?

Regards

Fernando

Hello Angelo
I understand laws may of changed recently, on wait time for citizenship and passport. May have to wait five years after marriage, unless you are working or going to school in CV?  Have you heard of any changes?
Regards
Fernando

-@fernonvi

Hi Fernando,

The citizenship law changed in August of 2023 and now requires a 5-year wait after the date of the marriage in order to apply for citizenship. Unfortunately, there are absolutely no exceptions whatsoever. I have read the law and it is a hard and strict waiting period.

In fact, under the new law, the only categories of persons who can get citizenship faster that 5 years are: descendants of Cape Verdeans; foreigners who have made extraordinary contributions to Cape Verde; and, certain investors. However, the investor category has not been defined...and I suspect it never will be because Portugal and most of the EU countries who have offered Golden Passport programs have since put an end to them (as it drove their real estate prices through the roof and also encouraged the laundering of money from China, Russia and other sources).

Fernando, I also responded to your private message. I've answered here on the forum so that the information can be seen by everyone on the forum who may have a similar question regarding citizenship by marriage.

Best regards,

Angelo