Retiring in Cape Verde

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in Cape Verde? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to Cape Verde (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is Cape Verde's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in Cape Verde?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I'm semi-retired in CV. I don' have a pension (too young) so I still have to work (I have my own business).

There is not much formality to retiring in CV. You come in on a temporary visitors visa and simply apply for residency. The process is very simple. You may have to provide certain paperwork such as your ID, birth certificate, proof that you have a fixed pension and a clean police record in your home country. So be sure to bring those documents with you.

If you're fully retired (with a fixed foreign pension), there are only 4 things going for Cape Verde as a retirement destination:

1. You can stretch foreign income (like a fixed pension) very far in Cape Verde (and the banking system is modern so you will have no problems transferring your money here...and your pension is not taxable in CV, only in your home country);
2. Housing costs are very low compared to developed countries;
3. It is relatively quiet and laid back in terms of pace of life...yes, you can be a beach bum;
4. People who appear to be over 60-65 don't have to wait in lines!

However, there are few critical strikes against CV as a retirement destination:

1. There are no retirement communities so you will likely not live near other retirees unless you plan to bring your retired friends along;
2. There are no adequate hospitals or medical care - this is a huge no-no for retirees! If you need urgent medical care, you will have to leave the country;
3. The level of unemployment and thus crime in Cape Verde is too high; you will not feel safe here as those who are perceived to have money are targeted by predatory youth.
4. There are no organizations or organized activities for retirees...you may get bored very quickly unless you keep your self occupied with work!

Cape Verde has a ways to go before it can be considered a retirement destination. In particular, the health care infrastructure is extremely inadequate to serve the needs of retirees, If you retire to CV, do not get sick. For me, it has been a great incentive to maintain my health!