New members of the Ivory Coast forum, introduce yourselves here - 2018

Hi all,

Newbie on the Ivory Coast forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Ivory Coast if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi, Me and my family will be transferring to Abidjan to work. We are Filipino but currently living here in Casablanca Morocco for 22 years now so a change of environment and culture will be a bit difficult for us.

My wife will be assigned to work at Felix Houphouet Boigny Airport Abidjan my questions are:

1. Where is a good safe location that we can rent a house near the airport? I heard that traffic in Abidjan is terrible so living near the airport will be a wise decision, I think.. Also how much in this place is the rent for a 3 bedroom house?
2. We have a daughter of 4 years old and we want a good international school for her, will there also be a school not far from the Airport?
3. Is it advisable to just rent a car or buy a 2nd hand? If we will own a car, how much is the yearly insurance and tax.
4. My wife speaks good french but I am not because I learned here their local language which is called DARIJA. I do understand and speak a little french though. Will it be very difficult for me to find a work there using English as the medium?
5. How is the political situation now in the Country? I heard that there was a civil war (?) last 2011? Is it a lot better now, is the government stable and strong?
6. Are there a lot of cases about Malaria, Dengue and Yellow Fever until now?

Thank you very much for reading and answering my email. We are just a bit excited at the same time worried about our transfer.

Best regards;

Joselito C. Porto

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=830091

Thanks!

Closed