The best apps for expats in Thailand

Hello,

We invite you to share information regarding some of the apps that have helped to facilitate your move abroad in Thailand. This will help expats-to-be who are making the move as well.

Which apps did you use while preparing your move to Thailand?

What apps do you use the most for your everyday life in Thailand: whether it's for transport, managing finances, general information, learning the language of your host country, leisure activities, etc.?

How does this technology help you in your everyday life as an expat?

Which apps would you recommend to expatriates in Thailand and why?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

FaceBook, LINE, GoogleMaps, Agoda, airlines and banking.

Lots of Facebook groups for expats in various parts of Thailand.

Booking.com app is great for finding all types of accomodation. Also Nok Air, and Air Asia apps are good for budget airline travel in Thailand.

Airvisual for PM2.5 readings.
CMTRANSIT is a "beta" transit app for Chiang Mai.

I like my apps.  FaceBook keeps me connected to people in the far flung corners of the earth who would otherwise have faded into memory.  My wife and I use LINE a lot, whether to find each other in a crowed mall or to keep in touch when she is in Bangkok and I am holding down the homefront in Chiang Rai, like today.

In the old days everything was paid for with stacks of 100 baht notes, whether paying bills or moving money from one bank to another.  The modern convenience of online banking is amazing.

I like to say I moved to Thailand, pre-everything or at least premodern, and I have welcomed, or at least tried, every modern convenience which has been introduced to Thailand over the years.  These days you find cell towers and satellite dishes in the most remote corners of Thailand making it more difficult for those with dreams of a primitive life among locals unblemished by the modern world.  Believe me, life in Thailand is much easier now.

While apps are great, it is still important to unplug occasionally and commune with the world around you.

For stuff for sale the best source of info is on Facebook via the regionalised groups.

Example: khon kaen buy and sell (english) translate the search to thai and it explodes into tons of groups. Property websites like dd property have about 5% of online listings compared to these regional groups on FB which are much more buoyant.

Kaidee - good for location based buying/selling of items

Lazada - I love lazada it's an easy way of educating people not so savvy with buying online too. My Mrs checks everything we buy from shops now. We sometimes buy bulk off lazada of some goods.

Traveloka - price compare and book flights.

Thaivisa.com - good news coverage which keeps me in tune with discussions at dinner with Mrs.

Thaivisa.com - great visa advice content.

Google maps. Keeps me on the right track.

One thing I'd like to ask. When we go shopping in big c sometimes but not everytime we get about a 130thb discount for spending 1200 thb I think. I'm not exactly sure they advertise when they do that or perhaps they dare not? Anyone know of that is specific days or just random?

Google Maps when i first come here, and use it a few time when i get total lost. he he
But my Thai wife is a human GPS So never lost when she next to me. ha ha
And last 3 years i use my Bank Apps.
And Wife use apps for paying our true & AIS bills.

And all ways have my phone on silence, As i find it rude to have it bip & ring, I all so find it rude to talk on phone in public for more then a 1 min or so.
And when i use my phone it is for where, when, see you in XX min, Or i call them back when i am at home, I never use my phone for more then 30-60 sek. (When outside, Can talk when back at our home)

But i know, I might be alone on that, As everyone i see have the eyes on the phone 99.9% of time, And people call and talk everywhere...

Hello,

Very good App for money Transfers / Exchange is called TransferWise , From the Founders Of Skype.
It's Safe , Fast , Better Exchange more money towards your Transfer versus being beaten to death by Bank fees.

Best Regards
Bob T.
USA Citizen / Retired Resident in
Nakhon Ratchisma Thailand :)

My favorite app when on the road travelling is maps.me on iphone or android as it works of the phone's GPS so you don't need WIFI or a Sim Card to use it. Download the maps you need (worldwide).  Handy for planning and finding out where you are at anytime.

https://maps.me/download/

no one mentioned google translate

For the most part, the translations I have read on Google and FaceBook really suck but I guess they are better than nothing, sometimes.  They can be entertaining, I guess.  I would definitely stick with individual words and very short phrases.

Priscilla

Why not ask readers to list what they like to bring back to Thailand after visiting their original homelands?   I am sure it would be very interesting and rewarding to know what they bring from the European supermarkets back to Thailand either because they cannot get this in Thailand or its too expensive!
Very useful info for new expats like myself for instance?

Kind regards
John

thaifriendly.com

johncollins wrote:

Priscilla

Why not ask readers to list what they like to bring back to Thailand after visiting their original homelands?   I am sure it would be very interesting and rewarding to know what they bring from the European supermarkets back to Thailand either because they cannot get this in Thailand or its too expensive!
Very useful info for new expats like myself for instance?

Kind regards
John

I think we are still discussing apps.

Grab, WhatsApp and LINE...

OMG! Google MAPS!!!- to get around and find everything! 
GRAB- when i need a ride and don't want to have a hassle explaining where I'm going or negotiating. 
Google translate-  on occasion, it works ok.  Currency Conversion app- to check prices I can't do in my head.
Life360- to find friend's location when meeting up at market

Wish list:  an app that can convert Thai script from camera into english!!

Grab - a lot of promo codes and awards for using, easy to take a taxi
Google maps - don't need to explain
Line - easy way to keep in touch

jadenfox wrote:

For real. Spoiled by Google Translate's ability with Japanese.  :joking:

Ruffian Dick wrote:
jadenfox wrote:

Look on youtube  at google translate.  They demonstraight how it translates any written sign or document to your prefered language...looks good

Talking Thai<>English Dictionary (Paiboon Publishing)  is precise and accurate.
Google Translate is OK-ish, but input  your own language in short, simple sentences,   followed by space bars, with verbs in simple present tense.

Most Thais, who speak English, will understand the spoken word more easily than the written word. So, if you're not talking on the 'phone  to someone you know,  instant messaging on LINE is useful, because you can illustrate what you're writing with photos or online images. LINE appears to be more popular than other instant messaging apps.

A Google search starting with "image of" can get you a stock photo of just about anything. If you're visiting a shop for something specific, it's useful to have an image of it, which you can show to shop assistants, if they don't speak much English.

Google Maps has been a godsend, for walking as well as driving.

I use a load of other apps, but these are the ones I've found most useful in yhe specific context of living in Thailand.

DavoWaldo wrote:
Ruffian Dick wrote:
jadenfox wrote:

Look on youtube  at google translate.  They demonstraight how it translates any written sign or document to your prefered language...looks good

I think Jaden is talking about the Google "app" on the iphone that lets you use your camera to look at printed text and translate it. As I mentioned, it will do this for Japanese (and probably some other languages as well), but not Thai.

Ah! There's a hack:
https://www.aware.co.th/this_little_hac … s_and_pho/

Ruffian Dick wrote:

Ah! There's a hack:
https://www.aware.co.th/this_little_hac … s_and_pho/

Hey that works! 
How silly... the Google Translate app CAN translate Thai to english!

Woo-Hoo!  thanks Ruffian Dick!

[i]"One thing I'd like to ask. When we go shopping in big c sometimes but not everytime we get about a 130thb discount for spending 1200 thb I think. I'm not exactly sure they advertise when they do that or perhaps they dare not? Anyone know of that is specific days or just random?"[/i]

It is most likely random, just like when you finished paying, you get these merchandise things as bonus for buying certain brands of choclate, cornflakes, cream or water or wathever, and you go to the counter information disk and collect a plate or an extra biscuit or things like that.

Thanks yes I avoid that brand loyalty system but this discount system would be great if I knew exactly when to go in store.  Maybe at end of month. I'm gonna interrogate a store manager. That discount really takes a good bite out of nappy costs.

Just for fun, try switching to Thai language on your smartphone keyboard when using LINE or FaceBook.  Then try dictating in Thai and see if your phone understands you.  Some people claim Thais intentionally snub them when they speak Thai so this might be a way of disproving that claim.  I hate typing on my phone so use dictation almost exclusively but you do need to go back and check on names and some expressions to make sure Siri gets it right.