The best apps for expats in Indonesia

Hello,

We invite you to share information regarding some of the apps that have helped to facilitate your move abroad in Indonesia. This will help expats-to-be who are making the move as well.

Which apps did you use while preparing your move to Indonesia?

What apps do you use the most for your everyday life in Indonesia: whether it's for transport, managing finances, general information, learning the language of your host country, leisure activities, etc.?

How does this technology help you in your everyday life as an expat?

Which apps would you recommend to expatriates in Indonesia and why?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

My favourite apps are:

Google maps - Apart from the obvious navigation the app is extremely useful for finding whatever you want local to your position. Half way into a journey but too tired to drive, just ask it for hotel suggestions and you're in business.

Google translate - Very handy for all who aren't fluent in Indonesian. I'm getting pretty good but I still get stuck from time to time - this handy app sorts that one out.

The appropriate app for your bank - All the banks have apps that allow you to check your account and so on. Very handy.

Whatsapp - This is essential in Indonesia as it's pretty much the standard app for everyone. No one uses SMS or even calls anymore, as almost everyone uses whatsapp instead.

Skype - Very handy for calling abroad when your interlocutor doesn't have a smartphone

Google hangouts - Especially handy for Americans and Canadians as that allows free calls to many or most phones in those countries. You can also call the UK and so on but you need credit to do so.

Pizza hut - I'm fat and proud. More seriously, the various fast food apps can relieve culture shock as well as deliver excellent pizza.

I tend to use WAZE over google maps 7/10 times as I'm not a google fan

Whatsapp I use quite a lot along with Skype, messenger and viber

Google translate, sayhi translate and Triplingo using a combination of the three gives me most of what I need, sayhi gives you options if they is more than one meaning for that word  by using pictures they are others for various dialects that google translate amongst others are light years behind, I've not tried to see if any are any good for various languages in Indonesia but certainly good for some Asian countries and Middle East

Transferwize and azimo for money to Indonesia for various transfers to pick up from a post office or to my Indonesian account

Revolut for free spending in any country using a top up card (charges apply in uk) you get the live xe/ex rate when you spend and a sms within seconds it has some amazing features within the app also

Gwmeath wrote:

I tried that one before but I didn't really like it much but, since it's come up, I've downloaded it again and will give it another go.
I'm a little unsure about the layout but it's a lot 'tom tom' style so that could be OK.
As for the messaging facility, I'm unsure if I'd use that at all and, more importantly, I wonder if it's abused.
One other concern, other users can see your position, handy for meetings between friends but I'm not quite so sure it's a good idea in general.

Fred wrote:
Gwmeath wrote:

I tried that one before but I didn't really like it much but, since it's come up, I've downloaded it again and will give it another go.
I'm a little unsure about the layout but it's a lot 'tom tom' style so that could be OK.
As for the messaging facility, I'm unsure if I'd use that at all and, more importantly, I wonder if it's abused.
One other concern, other users can see your position, handy for meetings between friends but I'm not quite so sure it's a good idea in general.

I tend to agree with you with regard to Waze I don't use the message facility as I've no idea how secure it is (Whatsapp etc for that) the tracking facility I actually like (not to spy on an individual) but comes in handy when meeting people  I do use google maps but just prefer waze

I tried it quite some time back when in the Philippines as google maps was being a pain in the ass, used waze mostly ever since
like you mentioned “the layout “  I think it's down to what you get used to and how familiar you become with apps

Go Jek, Go food, go shop... Lol

tiganasfx wrote:

Go Jek, Go food, go shop... Lol

The new version of Android allow you to pick permissions but you have to do so manually.
Make sure you turn off all the invasive ones when you use these apps.

Never allow notifications, location, etc

Google maps
Grab
Google translate
Uber
Go jet

Hi there!

I've been here 2 years now and thought I'd share my thoughts on applications.

Go Jek - hands down the first thing you need. Gets you go car rides and easy to top up the Go Cash, and Go Food is amazing. I haven't seen a service like this in any other country so easily accessible and CHEAP!

BCA - If you have a BCA account the mbanking is quite easy to use on the run BUT the app looks like a bad high school project.

Google Maps - It's actually decent in finding where you are and how far/long it takes to get to places. Timing isn't exact but you just add Jakarta traffic tax to the timing.

Whatsapp - Who doesn't have it already?

Kufed - When you shop around Jakarta you will see everyone basically sells the same thing. Getting styles outside the Indo trend gets hard so I use Kufed to access products outside of Indonesia

Your Cheers App - Helps you connect with the local community and see events that are coming up. They are all group based so you get to bond with locals that share your interests.

I use traveloka app for booking hotels and flights. Also I use sriwijaya and garuda apps sometimes. So far my experience, purchasing tickets from individual airline's apps are bit cheaper than traveloka or similar type of apps. For taxi service Go car or grab I found very handy.  If you are living in big cities in Indonesia and don't want to go out to grab some food for you, Go-food app is the best option so far my experience. Just download GO-JEK app which consist various range of services. For financial transactions, every bank has their app which is very easy to use. For online shopping tokopedia, bukalapak, shopee and lazada I used so far and satisfied with their service. If you are looking for a car to buy, carmudi or mobil123 is good option.

-Dealjava for discounts on food and lifestyle.  Fave, check it.
-My mobile use Telkomsel so I use also My Telkomsel and Tcash Wallet.
-Cinemaxx, Cinema 21, CGV or Bookmyshow for cinemas. I like movie and the theatres are good.
-Eventbrite for local events
-IG, Twitter follow BMKG for weather info or quake info. Indonesia is in the ring of fire so dont be surprised for a little bit of quake. Follow Superindo or any local groceries shop for updates on local groceries discounts.
-Gojek is a 'must have'
-Jobstreet, Jobsdb, Indeed for those seeking a job in Indonesia
-Airy rooms, Nida Rooms, Traveloka for budget accommodation
-Airasia for cheap flight
- Check some Indonesian calendar application
-Olx for buying and selling second hand stuff,  house for rent, rooms for kost which is popular for local people. Kost is room for rent. Mamikos is popular kost application.

You can check also their social media for more info.

hasibreza wrote:

I use traveloka app for booking hotels and flights..

I've used that app and it's fine but I prefer Agoda.
I find their version easier to use and their customer service is excellent in the event of a problem

That isn't to say Traveloka's customer service is bad, just Agoda have proven themselves to me so I tend to stick with them.

I use RedDoorz a really cool app for finding budget places to stay anywhere in Indonesia.
Ticket.com is good for planes and train rides all the local airlines are on it.
Don't really care for Google anything including Waze and yes they own Waze but am forced to use Google sometimes.  I just hate how they pummel us with ads all day and track every move we make.
There is an app called Indonesian Train and it actually a game that  simulates conducting a train it is so cool because I love trains.
There are some decent apps for learning bahaha Indonesia also such as Innovative and can cost as much as $15-$46 per month to learn any language which is I think is pretty steep especially since they try to get to you sign up for a year.  I can't imagine needing a language app for a year at those prices.

Permata bank, tokopedia, Tri and Telkomsel app.

WhatsApp and all things Google. Grab over uber. Uber is charging me 10k after I cancelled a driver because he took 30 minutes to respond and I have not got over that yet despite being 4 months ago. So it's grab cars and bikes for transport. Not interested if they can read my permissions or not.

I arrived here before apps and it was SMS then before Nokia died and BBM took over followed by the march of Android or Apple.

Booking.com is useful for me.

As I use all things Google I find maps, calendar, trips and Gmail all work together nicely.

Finally speedtest to help understand why I am disappointed when the WiFi slow or 3g by Telkomsel stops as 4g seems to have issues where I live.

Will be visiting Indonesia for the first time for a leisure trip approx for 8 days...
Booked my flight + hotel through MAKEMYTRIP app.
Hope to have a wonderful vacation :)

WhatsApp mostly to keep in touch when away from Indonesia  Agoda---Grab---and now Pizza Hut since we just got one in out town.

psb43 wrote:

---and now Pizza Hut since we just got one in out town.

Be careful of that Pizza hut app - Their pizza is delicious and the app is really easy to use.
That combination forced me to order again last night. :D

Fred I ordered pizza hut twice last month yes so easy

I'm always a bit unsure about apps that require loads of permissions so I've picked up a second phone, a  cheapy that I use as a satnav, and I've put apps on that. I now have blue bird (that's a handy one), Gojek/car/food, and Grab as go isn't available in some parts of the country.

I use a 3 network 'always on' SIM so I don't need to care about keeping it alive and topped up.

I find wife app 2.0 quite useful and at times seems to know more than Google

lukereg wrote:

I find wife app 2.0 quite useful and at times seems to know more than Google

I still have wife 1.0, and she thinks she knows more than google .. and me
I fancy installing 2.0 but the first download just won't let me install it.