Raising kids in Guatemala

Hello everyone,

How is raising kids in Guatemala different from raising kids in your home country?

What are the activities that your kids seem to enjoy the most in Guatemala?

Do you feel that the country is "family-friendly"?

Do you recommend Guatemala as a good place to raise kids? Why or why not?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

I did not really raise my kids here except when they were very young, then we went back to the US and they grew up there and remain there. We returned to Guate decades later. But here they had a nanny and went to an American-style private school, which sort of kept them in a bubble of privilege, of course. In the US, they could ride their bikes in the streets, leave the doors unlocked, had to pick up after themselves and a series of situations that were not possible in Guatemala due to the violence and crime or because there was hired house help to do it. They do like to return here on holidays though, and they have happy memories of school vacations in Guatemala, but none really want to live here. In general, I would have to say that I am glad I had to opportunity to raise them away from here, sadly. I enjoy living here myself, but if one can raise their kids elsewhere, I'd say it's best for a varied series of reasons, including the narrow and circumscribed gender roles in this society.

A friend living in rural guatemala who had adopted some kids in guatemala taught them to only speak english in public do to some hysteria about gringos stealing (and eating) kids. My daughters were born in the US but look guatemalan and I don't (my wife is guatemalan) so we always followed the same rule - speak english in public.