The jobs that are the most in-demand for expats in Guatemala

Hello,

We invite you to share some information regarding the job market for expats in Guatemala. This information will be incredibly helpful to anyone considering moving there, so we're very grateful for your contribution.

What are the types of jobs that are easily accessible to expats in Guatemala?

What are the ones most in-demand for expats?

Which industry and/or jobs have limited workforce?

Are there any existing surveys, data, or reports done regarding this topic?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Here are the most common ways I've seen expats making money in Guatemala:
1. Retired, don't need to work because they're on a pension.
2. Disability or other government-funded income, a check that comes every month
3. Teaching English, either in person or on the internet
4. Working online in another field (This is me! I'm a transcriptionist.)
5. Opening a business, especially one that caters to gringo needs.
6. Renting property, Airbnb, etc.
7. Selling services, especially gringo and hippie stuff, i.e. massage, reiki, dogwalking
8. Selling products, i.e. homemade food, crafts, art

I'd say also tourism ! Working in a hotel is something quite possible to find for expats here.

The calls centers also recruits expats and not only english speaking,. they welcome French and other european nationalities.. you can make like $800 per month.. also Language schools hire expats as teachers... I have a very good friend teaching full times.. they got all his permits

I have taught in two master programs here, one in Universidad Landivar and another in FLACSO, a research/think tank organization. I have my DPI and work permits, though. I also teach at the School of Professional Translation at IGA and am a professional interpreter and translator. My husband works in international outreach and development of mobile digital platforms. It depends on the profession, experience, etc. that people bring and if some already have an income from the US, they can get by on working part time or occasionally. I suggest people get a work permit first, if possible. I have seen American expats teaching in language schools, I know there is a growing need for online teachers, too. Some are bar tending, others are journalists or work for a non-profit. I met about 3 years ago an American nurse working at Hospital Llerandi. I mean, it runs the gamut.

Also, I forgot to add, if a person has a teaching certificate or experience, even, private schools here in the capital are always in great need of English teachers, especially if they are native speakers.

Can you obtain a Guatemalan work permit in New York City? If so, how. Thank you kindly for your time and consideration.