Marrying A Filipina

And yes, we have spent enough time together in Davao (and Boracay and Puerto Galera and Dumaguete and Manila) that I know her well.  I have met her (big) family and we like each other (of course, it helps that she's about the only one that speaks English well, the others understand to some extent but are too shy to speak--we just smile a lot at each other).

However, she is currently married, although not on speaking terms with her ex for years.  Seems he cheated on her repeatedly.  She owns the house they used to live in in Las Piñas (he lives there now), and he apparently wants the title in exchange for an annulment. She wants to keep the house for their daughter (now 10), but has other assets for negotiation.  Obviously, she needs a lawyer.

My questions: Any referrals for a lawyer who can get the annulment?  What is the cost (she says it's very expensive)?  How long does it take? I have to get an "Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" or "Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" from the US embassy--is that straightforward?  And are there any other hoops will I have to jump through besides getting a marriage license?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Run !!!!!!!!!!!

That was really constructive and helpful. Why run?

Run far and run fast. Filipina scanners have Academy Award quality acting skills. Your annulment will be just as costly and lengthy. 100,000's of pesos and years, which begs the question.....WHY get married? Oh, and don't forget that her ex can have you murdered for a few thousand pesos.

Most likely, simply because she is married.

Since I am clear on my relationship with her, the replies above have not been useful. I am still looking for advice on a lawyer and input that doesn't seem to be quite so biased.

Any lawyer here will gladly take your money and not give you life saving advice.

Annulment roughly 300, 000 and 2 years IF THE other partner agrees

bizwizard wrote:

And yes, we have spent enough time together in Davao (and Boracay and Puerto Galera and Dumaguete and Manila) that I know her well.  I have met her (big) family and we like each other (of course, it helps that she's about the only one that speaks English well, the others understand to some extent but are too shy to speak--we just smile a lot at each other).

However, she is currently married, although not on speaking terms with her ex for years.  Seems he cheated on her repeatedly.  She owns the house they used to live in in Las Piñas (he lives there now), and he apparently wants the title in exchange for an annulment. She wants to keep the house for their daughter (now 10), but has other assets for negotiation.  Obviously, she needs a lawyer.

My questions: Any referrals for a lawyer who can get the annulment?  What is the cost (she says it's very expensive)?  How long does it take? I have to get an "Affidavit in Lieu of a Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" or "Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage" from the US embassy--is that straightforward?  And are there any other hoops will I have to jump through besides getting a marriage license?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Hello Bizwizard

I have met a few laywers. The best feeling I had was with one that can do it in about a year or a bit more. He charges 300,000 pesos. can be paid in 3 installments. others I met can do it for 200k, but i have read of lots of lawyers that take 2-3 years. I will find his number and send it to you. Whoever you choose ask them to show you files as tectimonials. Take pics if he lets you. He can hide the names. Check that they are registered with the Supreme Court of Philippines

Good luck

Watch your back and keep an eye out for guys on a motorcycle when the lawyer files the case.