Keeping in touch while living in Cyprus

Hello everyone,

What are the best ways you've found for keeping in touch with friends and family back home while living in Cyprus? How frequently do you stay in touch with loved ones?

Are there local equivalents to common instant messaging and online video calling services that you prefer or are more widely used?

If there is a sizeable time difference, how do you manage this?

Do you make international phone calls from a landline or mobile phone from Cyprus? What do you think of the cost?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Thankfully with today's technology it is easy to keep in touch with friends and family.  My preferred Application to do this is via Facebook Messenger as my whole family has accounts, it has reliable, integrated voice calls as well as video chat and as long as you are on a WiFi network it is free to use rather than paying a fortune for international calls.

I generally try to keep in touch with my parents, sister and brother once a week but on average we have calls twice a month.

Yes i agree communication with family and friends is so easy now - there are so many methods to use Facebook, Messengers, Facetime, Skype etc many of which are both audio and video capable and the bonus is that they are usually free.

we dont need a landline as mobiles etc are so cheap to run on PAYG

it may of course be more difficult for those who may be older and those who may not be so au-fait with technology etc  but even regular communication by landline or mobile phone is so cheap now

for the record we use a mix of google, facebook, messenger and skype.... very little mobile use really - mobiles for us is mainly for outdoor away from home emergency use

We use all the above mentioned mediums but we also use WhatsApp call for international calls.