London, crime and neighborhoods - which?

I'm relocating to London in a couple of months, and in the middle of my apartment searching and neighborhood research (from the web and speaking to English folks here in NYC), I discovered the depressing fact that Londoners often complain about the crime and try to keep a smiling face on the fact that they don't feel safe .. (or relocate) ..

..  but I'm still trying to uncover whether it's hype or reality.

I live in NYC, and I have zero fear for my safety, either at night, during the day, whether I'm carrying an iPod or talking on the phone at 3 am.  I very much enjoy walking, even if it's dark, and I'm alone.  It's not a worry here -- at all -- unless you specifically walk into a crazy neighborhood.

But in London, I am told, "Don't walk around alone at night after 11p, and never flash your phone or listen to music using earphones because that's stupid and you deserve to get robbed if you do that".  Now I can certainly control myself and not listen to music or pull out my phone outside .. but .. not to walk alone after 11p or I deserve to get robbed??  Really??  I am told, "there are less murders" but "you're way more likely to get burglarized or mugged than New York".  Only gang members are afraid of getting shot in the States, despite all the gun hype (it's not random!)

Is London like Baghdad or somewhere more controlled?  And if the latter, what neighborhoods would you recommend where I can feel safe?  I am told even posh neighborhoods have random violence and muggings (no, not "like every city" because NYC doesn't have anywhere near that type of crime)

Thanks for the advice!

ohh man, its not too bad
i live in london
just depends...which part of london u want to live...
the best aerea is the south, I live in london since 2009, and never anything bad happened with me, I walk in the streets after 11pm,everything normal. but if u want move to the north london...its different...
YES, london is safe, in the south. but come on u live in NYC right?its a great city!u live in usa! london is expensive to live, u know.. to rent a apartment with 2 rooms(bedrooms) u pay around £800-1200. and u spend more £60.70 a week with food. and more £21 per week with public transport,such as metro(tube).
In small cities, in england,  like manchester,bournmouth, and others, u can have a better life quality, and its not too expensive to live. much,much better

Hi!

I came from the States and was in the same boat as you when I arrived, although I didn't hear much about the crime. My wife and I relocated from Iowa for her job so we had quite a bit of help when we arrived.

We stayed in short term housing for one month and while she was at work, I explored the different areas of London. This is the best way to see London and find out where you want to live. But this is if you have the time.

Just like anywhere in the world, there's always a chance that anything can happen to you. It's just a matter of keeping your wits about you while you are here.

In terms of where you want to live, you have to think about the type of neighbourhood you want, how much you want to spend, and the level of quality.

I am not sure where the price range of £800 to £1200 for a two bedroom came from, but realistically that's the cost of a one bedroom in Greater London. London is a pretty expensive place to live. I started searching for properties at £1200 and didn't like any of them. My searches were in Islington/Angel, Fulham, West Kensington, and Notting Hill. We had to increase our budget closer to £1300 to get something decent in Fulham.

We currently live in Borough (SE) and pay just under £1400 per month. We live in a one bedroom flat of a new development.

If you do not want to do the search on your own, I would recommend checking out LondonRelocationServices.com. It's a relocation agency company that now work for and we're American owned. We give you recommend areas of London and give you a realistic view of how things are in London. Check us out and see if we may be able to help you with your situation. Ask for Mat!

The question is, what's the most crime ridden,violent neighbourhood in London?

I think you should be careful when you go around below neighbeurhoods:

Tower Hamlets
Hackney
Most of Lambeth - Brixton, Stockwell, Oval, Clapham
Most of Southwark - Peckham, New Cross, Bermondsey.

try police.uk website - they have crime maps for London

ok so... i know some nasty things happen in North London. but i lived in North London for almost 4 years. i've been out on the streets waaaay after 11pm. the area's not constantly under 'attack'. people just have to be security conscious and aware of their surroundings. let's not randomly diss areas :s
@ GeneRal, thanks loads for that link, really helpful :)

I've lived in London for most of my adult life and feel completely safe. At least we don't have guns like in America!
There are "rough" areas and posh areas but to be honest they all spill onto to such a degree that the whole city is fairly constant in its level of safety/danger. Don't let it worry you, you'll be fine. What violent crime there is occurs overwhelmingly between teenagers and they will not bother you.

Hi,
I moved to North London in January, and I find it completely fine. I have a small baby and never got into any kind of trouble, not even at night. I had been told scary things about Islington, but I love it and totally recommand it.
Britishette

There is nowhere that is a "no-go area" as in many US cities!

You might want to be careful if you use an ATM around Picaddilly in the city centre (Romanian/Albanian pickpockets) but other than that - relax!

hi Martin :) Have you had a bad experience with pickpockets???

not personally but it's happened to my my parents and a number of different friends who were visiting. I think that area is infamous for it.

I've got to agree with Martin, there are no real no-go areas. Some areas I've lived in have a poor reputation like Brixton\Tooting etc. I've walked around those areas (staggered home drunk even) without incident.

Watch out for the high profile tourist areas plenty of pickpockets around. You get them on the tube too so be aware of your possessions when travelings around too. Just be aware of your surroundings and anyone loitering around ATM's etc and you will be fine.

On the hole London is a pretty save city and you can move around freely without worry, but it has crime like any major city just
as long as you are sensible you should be fine.

@ Martin: that really sucks. my brother had a bad experience at the bus stop in Edmonton (North London) once. and to be honest, i had a bad experience on the train in East London, i was on my way to Liverpool Street.

i guess it can happen anywhere :(

nerolife wrote:

i guess it can happen anywhere :(

Pretty much sums it up.

ditto, can happen anywhere, especially if you flash your ipod/gadgets around.

i currently live in what is considered a posh part of London, yet got burgled several weeks ago.

Not sure if it is to with the economic climate or whether it is a city-thing, but there is no  lying, crime is there, as is in most western-cities of the world, including the USA

its always best to err on the side of caution.

you must be careful in london i have no problems because i from naples with the most crazy people but maybe 'londoner1' i am sorry u get burgled.. what a shame u seem like nice person ;-)

as they say, crap happens when scum are about ;)