Online shopping in the United Arab Emirates

Hello everyone,

Shopping online can be far more convenient and offer greater choice than going into shops, be it grocery shopping or retail.

Are there options for online shopping in the United Arab Emirates? Which sites or apps do you use most frequently and are these local or international?

Are there particular products that are cheaper to buy online or that are perhaps not available in the United Arab Emirates?

What is the delivery process like — is it easy to receive deliveries and what are the costs of shipping? Are there any taxes to pay upon receipt?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

Actually, I don't trust online shoppingIII

I always do online shopping in UAE and never had a complaint except for some delay from awoke.com

I mostly shop online direct from stores like:

Electronics: https://uae.sharafdg.com
Anything: Souq.com
Namshi
Mumzworld
https://www.carrefouruae.com/

Dubai is more secure and scams can be easily caught. That's why I am satisfied to shop online.

There are a lot of sites where you can do online shopping (I've done a few and so far, I am satisfied with the speed, quality and cost of service).

The two that I've tried are:

https://www.groupon.ae/coupons/abu-dhabi (for services)
https://uae.souq.com/ae-en/ (for goods)

I also bought RAM for my macbook online via a US store.  I went for normal delivery which is free of charge (although it took three weeks for my package to reach me).  I didn't pay any tax at all (plainly because the items are too small to be taxable).

I have not experienced any problem in my online purchases (and I know a lot of people in our office who shop bags, shoes, even abaya online!).  So feel free to do so. 

Here's PCMag's  tips on how to stay secure when shopping online:  Never ever, ever buy anything online using your credit card from a site that doesn't have SSL (secure sockets layer) encryption installed—at the very least. You'll know if the site has SSL because the URL for the site will start with HTTPS:// (instead of just HTTP://). An icon of a locked padlock will appear, typically in the status bar at the bottom of your web browser, or right next to the URL in the address bar. It depends on your browser.  Never, ever give anyone your credit card over email. Ever.  (Source:  https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2373130,00.asp)

Hi,

I have been doing online purchase from Souq.com since 5 to 6 years. I never found an issue. I still continue to buy. Now since Souq is taken over by Amazon, you can rely on the site with more confidence i guess.

Bijou

Hi All,

I have been buying from souq.com for the last few years without any complaints. You can completely trust them.

Now, there are new players in the market offering better services and better shipping rates. After Souq, I recommend, Samawa Online samawa.ae for buying original and authentic perfumes and other beauty products.

When you buy online, always go for trusted websites and not from any store that is advertised on the net.

Happy Shopping!

Hi,
Good day
I live in Sharjah-UAE, normally we are doing online shopping from www.souq.com and www.awok.com both are very famous in UAE.

They will give you delivery date at the time of booking it is normally 1 to 5 days

Mode of payment you can select, cash on delivery (charges 4 AED) or use any debit or credit card without extra charges   

No any type of Tax is applicable in UAE

Delivery charges are very;

souq: Normal charges not exceeding to 12 AED per delivery (most of the time free delivery)
Awok: Normal charges not exceeding to 9 AED per delivery, they are also offering free delivery if your order will be arround 50 AED

Our normal practice before order, we are looking booth sites first than other sites/stores (in UAE all big stores and super markets have also online shopping facility like Lulu, Carrefor, ACE, Ikea, EMAX, MAX, SharafDG etc,

Enjoy

Sohail

Hello priscillia,  in reply to your post, well I have been in dubai quite some time now and if there is one thing about the country, it's about online sales.  You can order anything I mean anything no matter how little but from groceries to supermarkets and the delivery is fast.

But I must warn you only about buying gadgets from online because it's practically not safe, I was a victim of it.

Shoes were spot on.
Wrist watches too can b a bit safe.

Whenever you want a gadget just trust sharaf dg and lulu can be trusted.

Feel free to ask for more

Hello,

Living in Dubai, normally shopping from www.souq.com and www.awok.com. For used items, dubizzle.com is also one of best choice.

BTW, yes I tend to agree with Bigsamtab. 

Don't buy electronics online primarily because they do not have guarantees or warranties.  After sales service will likely be a headache too.  (Have not experienced it; I'm just assuming it will be troublesome as transactions are online).

Hi,
I use to buy online more than going for shopping.. I'm using Amazon.ae website and whatever I ordered turned pretty good.
I've bought some electronic items as well, like car vacuum cleaner, hair dryer, electric hand mixer and even laptop (2nd hand) also. All are well and good. Only you have to choose good quality branded items. Check for customer reviews, it will give you good idea about the product.
There is fast delivery service and even return policy available, if the product didn't meet the  product description.
I'm happy with Amazon shopping, as I don't enjoy much going out for shopping.
Online shopping I feel more about choosing a good product and finding a reliable seller.

Happy shopping.