Money transfer using western union

My friend in Barranquilla needs to transfer $200 from Barranquilla to me in Canada using Western Union  but they say that I living in Canada need  ID number (cedula) before they can send it to me. I have never been required to use a ID number before in Western Union. Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

I live in Barranquilla, Colombia, but am from the US. I don't yet have a cedula, and am not permitted to send money using WU. I had to have a friend do it for me. Apparently it's a Colombian law regarding money wire transfers relating to the bad history of drug traffickers. And we are all affected by it here.

Try using the WU Mobile app. Works great for me.

Check Ria Money Transfer. I've used it from the US to Colombia but not the other direction so not sure how that would work. Fee's are usually better than WU.

I found that a form of official I.D. is required for the recipient to pick up the money. I believe that a passport number or government issued driver's license number should be sufficient. Getting a Western Union customer number registered also simplifies the process an discounts the sending fees. Good luck.