Living in Tallinn

You are an expatriate living in Tallinn, or you used to  work and live in Tallinn.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in Tallinn?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in Tallinn?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Tallinn?

Thanks in advance for your participation

Living in Tallinn is  . . .

well, very different and yet the same from Southern California.  So okay, duh, the weather is VERY different especially in the winter.  It's much wetter here, and the winter darkness can be profound.  But how much more the sun is appreciated here than in California where it is the expectation rather than the reward!

I do not speak the language (Estonian) and have only very basic Russian-language skills, so conversationally I don't have much ability to interact - luckily for me, most people here prefer not to interact with strangers except on the most basic level and then only during business transactions (ie Hello.  Do you have a client card?  The cost is 235 kroons.  - added bonus conversation: you're welcome).  I can handle this pretty easily in many languages.  As far as making friends, there is a pretty extensive international community here made up of English-speakers from various embassies and large corporations or here as students.  Many Estonian's speak a very little English, although some speak very well.  The International Woman's Club (IWC) is a great place to start meeting people.  I attend the IWC-related Toddler Playgroup with my kids and it's been a wonderful thing for us to make friends and get to know people.  There is also an English-speaking school that is another great way to meet English-speakers. Kids are a great icebreaker and force me to mix with strangers far more often than I would if I were on my own.  We know only a handful of native Estonians, and quite a few Russian-Estonians.  The National Estonian Song Festival (only occurs every five years) happens this July and I'm looking forward to seeing Estonians en mass.

Day-to-day life for us is pretty much the same here as it would be in the States.  We sleep, we eat, the older kids go to school and events, we drag the younger kids for walks or the park, we go shopping, watch movies and occasionally go to a restaurant or the opera/theater/concert.  We drive a car pretty much everywhere, although the public transportation here, in Tallinn at least, is very good.

I could go on and on.  I really love it here, although I still consider SoCal home.  Although it is not the most convenient place to get to, I would say it is well worth the trip.

Hi Karrots! Are you still in Estonia? My family and I will be arriving at the end of August (we are from Southern California as well!) and I have to young children. I would love to connect with you and get some suggestions as to where I should start when we arrive--especially in regards to what I can do with the kiddos. Please contact me or send an email to shannonreneehughes-at-gmail-dot-com. I look forward to connecting!
~SHughes