Why have you chosen the place to live that you have chosen.

People thinking about moving  to Mexico often are not sure what would be the best place for them. Those of us who have chosen a place to live in might help with those decisions by sharing our process,

Each of us has made a decision to live in a specific place, or groups of places. What factors go into that choice, and what factors cause you to reject other places you have looked at.

What important things  guide your choice, and why do you feel they are important.

How has that worked out for you?

We picked Rosarito/Popotla for it's close proximity to San Diego.  There are number of reasons for being close to SD.  First, is medical care covered by Medicare and Kaiser is close.  But more importantly is closeness to our grandchildren.  They all live within a 2-10 hours drive.  So it's easy for them to visit us and for us to go visit them.  We considered Cabo, but everybody has to fly to visit, which adds to overall cost.  Yes, there are cheaper places to live in Mexico.  But it's more about the lifestyle and the friendliness of the people we have met.  Oh, and getting away from US/California politics factors in a little.

My Spanish is very rusty, being new ( living not visiting) I need Spanish classes and expat support. I don't want to live in a big city ( malls , culture , music etc. )but near one . Weather is big , restaurants and things to do also up there . Must be beautiful, mountains, lake or beach. I found it here in ajijic. Cost of living higher for Mexico but much less than NOB.

John and I came to Mexico to SCUBA dive, and lived on the east coast in Paamul from 1993 to 2000. Then we moved down the coast to Puerto Aventuras for the next 7 years, still diving sometimes. In 2007, we stopped diving and discovered it was too hot to live out of the water. After a bit of research we moved to the mountains in Veracruz, and were very happy in Coatepec, a smaller town near Xalapa. The weather is good, the people are great, and although I have been a widow for 5 years now, I am happy to stay.

Climate was a big factor for me,I find Morelia at 6000 feet just perfect for me.There are little to no expats here which astounds me really,beautiful city,perfect weather.I guess they google Michoacan and get scarred off.I have been on a fruit diet for going on a year now and in my opinion the fruit in this region is the best,Michoacan,Colima and Nayarit always something in season.

We chose Sayulita for so many reasons. I wrote a blog article about the "Top 10 Reasons We Moved to Sayulita, Nayarit, MX". It can be viewed at http://retirementbeforetheageof59.blogs … ulita.html

I grew up in San Francisco and enjoyed the many attractions and entertainments and eateries  available in the city as well as the convenience of public transportation. I could not even come close to having the financial ability to live there again in my retirement. Mexico City offers everything I loved about my birth city on a ten fold basis and at an affordable price:) An added bonus is the warmth and friendliness of the Mexican people!

After spending the last 30 yrs in Maui I need a place less affected by tourism!  Spending 10 plus yrs searching for the spot in Mexico that offered epic surfing ( no crowds) prime surf fishing, Paddleboarding and virgin beaches for  shell collecting, oh yea no tourist !! Great location between PV and Manzanillo.  It's no SMA or lake Chapala but it's  also doesn't have the huge gringo population. Sure during winter months the Canadian snow bunnies come here but that's all. In fact here in San Mateo with a population of 600 mas o minus I'm the only full time gringo resident. Every day I must say buenos Dias, tardes, y noches 50 times a day.  The people here don't have much but are the kindest and most giving I've ever met. We're currently building a place here and am calling it home. Viva Mexico. Viva Costalegra !!

I am trying to look for San Mateo between PV and Manzanillo but cannot find it. Could you provide more details, please? I might become a second full time gringo there...:)
Thank you,
Inna

stinkyboy1 -

Thanks for the post on Morelia.  I have a trip planned to Guanajuato City and now think I will take a few days to visit Morelia.  Flying to Leon 9/14 - 9/29.

On my trip to both areas I would like to meet expats that can give me some ideas about relocating from the US.  My Spanish is not good yet but I am working on it so finding english speakers will help me on my two week investigation trip.

Thank you.

Your welcome,let me know when you will be in Morelia,I would would be more than happy to show you around.

Very nice of you. I am trying to figure out my lodging, bus schedules etc now. I will be back to you soon.

I came here when I left the service at the close of the Vietnam war. I came here for a couple of weeks to think about where I could go. I was barley 20 years old and never could figure out why I should leave.I have been here ever since. Now I have 2 children and 3 grandchildren here.

this is a great topic. one thing that occurs to me about mexico is the huge variety of places to hang your hat, and they all sound interesting a worth a visit. i'm thinking of basing myself in the Yucatan because i like a tropical climate in the winter, but in the hot dry season, i'd love to try lake Chapala, SMA and many other places for a few months.

i've been an expat in Thailand for 12 years now and the big problem here is, everyplace is pretty much the same. where I live Phuket, its basically Bangkok with a beach. once i sell up my assets in Thailand i'm really looking forward to exploring Mexico and beyond (south).

i don't think i'll "settle down" in one place in Mexico like i have in Thailand. i think i'll rent cheap, get around on my motorcycle, and go wherever the mood and the weather takes me.

I sort of fell into living in Ajijic but soon came to love it and that love has never died. What's so great? The near perfect climate, a cost of living that is 40% of what I used to pay in Vancouver, and over 80 clubs and groups that keep me  busy and enjoying life every day. I love the fact that I can play pickleball on professional courts (one of the few places in Mexico that has pickleball)  along with other activities such as volleyball, kayaking, and hiking