Retiring in England

Hello everyone,

Why did you choose to retire in England? What are the advantages compared with your home country?

What were your main considerations when deciding to move? For example, taxes, ease of transferring your pension, etc..

Are there any specific formalities you had to go through as a retiree moving to England (for example, is there a particular retirement visa)?

What is England's healthcare like? Have you had any good or bad experiences dealing with healthcare professionals?

Do you have any tips for other retirees in England?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

A friend of mine from Canada retired there and his cat needed a tooth pulled , it was going to cost him 700 english in Vet fees so he started a GoFundMe page. I told him to just sling the Cat out and switch to dog food

AndiSumisu wrote:

A friend of mine from Canada retired there and his cat needed a tooth pulled , it was going to cost him 700 english in Vet fees so he started a GoFundMe page. I told him to just sling the Cat out and switch to dog food

Jeez - £700!!!  I thought for a minute you'd been spun a story there, but then I checked - that was cheap !!!!

Pet Insurance is a must.

Well no help from the legal system, if you are taking on a big corporation as far as the system is concern you're just as well be dead.

My plea, I don't really know which area would you classify it in. We went shopping at Costco's 8 washing machine was stacked on the highest wrecking reaching up to 30 feet, they fell apart, 2 washing machines hit my wife causing her a brain injury and fractured three vertebrae.

I wanted to take the case to court, but my solicitors would not have it, they called in an official solicitor to take the position of my wife and ended the case, as if we did not exist. since then my wife has been extremely ill and have taken all my time, I do not have a minute to myself. our barrister told me the money is there in court funds, take it or leave it, and we have never heard from them again. When we went to the office of Court funds, they told us they could not talk about it, and send us on our way.

My wife have been extremely ill, I was going through post-traumatic stress disorder at the time, was brought on through the shock of believing that my wife was dying, she was thrown 10 ft away out of my arms lying there with blood pouring out of her mouth, I was trembling for weeks every time I thought of it.

I wanted to know can they treat the both of us like that, as if we do not exist. Because we were both extremely ill at the time, and now I have to care for my wife not being able to leave her alone for a minute. https://colinberry2.wordpress.com/.../p … -justice/1

Any advise would be gladly received, my gratitude in advance to the one who is willing to communicate on the matter. rather than being treated like an animal. or even worse as if we do not exists.

Hi colinberry1

Could you make a fresh post as your post is  :offtopic: to the opening post.

You will then get a better response.

colinberry1 wrote:

Well no help from the legal system, if you are taking on a big corporation as far as the system is concern you're just as well be dead.

Any advise would be gladly received, my gratitude in advance to the one who is willing to communicate on the matter. rather than being treated like an animal. or even worse as if we do not exists.

Accepting your case at face value; my advice is to contact the Legal Ombudsman; this link will take you to their webpage.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Cynic, I have tried everything do you realise when the Law Society and the ombudsman detect  corruption they do not do any more and you have to go on your way to sue the firms involved, could you imagine someone with a brain injury having to sue the firm for professional negligence, the mind boggles.

I'm going to answer this question with a question.

As of November 27, 2008 the 'Retired Persons' immigration category was closed to new entrants.
Retired persons of independent means
Key facts
This page shows you the key facts for the category retired person of independent means.
Category: Retired persons of independent means.
(This route is closed to new entrants to the UK. Only people already in the UK in this category
can apply for leave to remain or indefinite leave to remain)

So, how are you going to get a visa to retire as I would  like to do the same thing?

In fact, my entire family is English and I don't seem to qualify for any visa!!!!

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s … _v10.0.pdf

Personally I have known of this condition for a number of years now . There are several routes to get back into the UK at the moment.  Surinder Singh route should one of the family have been born abroad and holds a British passport or a spouse holding a foreign passport. Or enter Ireland as a whole family , wait out the two years and gain habitual residence status in the Irish state. You are then free to move and live in the common travel area of Britain& Ireland . The Irish or Eu routes will collapse in 2019 as Britain makes it's exit, after that, anyone leaving Britain including British nationals to work abroad for two years or more have committed identity suicide. There's no way back, all you are entitled to is a passport and nothing else .   Retire in Britain  should have been the question ???

it was a stupid question to ask Retiring in England might have been a great question to ask  retiring on the Isles of Scilly

My mom was a British citizen and my entire family is in England but I don't seem to qualify for any visa. I believe I must apply using a compassionate exception visa which are approved on a case by case basis. I also must hire a UK immigration attorney.
I was in England for 5 weeks this summer. If I had an iota of a notion that obtaining a visa for more than 6 months would be this hard, I would have attempted to handle it while I was there!!!!!!!!!!!!

You say your Mother "WAS" a British citizen . Let's get this straight, is your Mother a British Subject , Are you a British Subject ?    There is a Difference between "subject & citizen .

You need to look at your passport and define the choice between alternatives , You may be a British passport holder of Subject or Citizen