Marriage in Tunisia

has anybody got married in tunisia recently to know which documents are required as the embassy themselves dont reply so i need specific info in what documents i will need and the procedure out there in sousse.....thanks in advance.

Where u from?
Is ur soon to be bride Tunisian?

if You're getting married to a Tunisian girl you need to convert to Islam and have a shiekh certify it (I think you also erm, You know have to cut and stuff.)

if you're both not Tunisian, then you need to get a paper from each of your embassies giving their approval to your marriage
then you'd need a birth certificate and you go to the nearest municipality building and do all the paper work and get married

I believe both of you also need a health certificate (costs 30 dinars to get from a doctor)

I'm from Wales mate and Pakistani by origin so yes born a Muslim and wife tonne is from sousse

Alhamdililah had the snip done when I wasn't even blossomed brother so yes born a Muslim!

From Wales myself and girl from sousse.
Just to confirm does the birth certificate need to be valid for a certain time? As I have read the birth certificate needs to be shown to the embassy within 21 days of me receiving it. The marriage is in September in sha allah so I want everything done correctly so apologies if I sound repetitive like other people asking question.

Yeah, the birth certificate is supposed to be issued a month ago at most

but to be honest this is an Arab country and they don't care as much

adrenaline786 wrote:

Alhamdililah had the snip done when I wasn't even blossomed brother so yes born a Muslim!

From Wales myself and girl from sousse.
Just to confirm does the birth certificate need to be valid for a certain time? As I have read the birth certificate needs to be shown to the embassy within 21 days of me receiving it. The marriage is in September in sha allah so I want everything done correctly so apologies if I sound repetitive like other people asking question.

Inchallah mabrouk............you will need the following dox

Birth certificate, original, issued no earlier than 21 days prior to marriage.
CONI to attest that you are single with the ability to marry
If you have been married previously your divorce documents
Your passport
Attestation from the Iman of your mosque showing your Muslim identity

All these must be translated from English into Arabic/French but this can be done very quickly and cheaply here in Tunisia.

You and your fiancee must have blood tests.  You both go to the doctor and he will make the order.  You can probably have the results the same day.  You take the results back to the doctor who will certify the results.

I have the answer
If ur american
And ur future spouse is Tunisian
U set an appointment at the US embassy to retreive a document where ur future spiuse must be present with his passport for a sworn affidavit
And thats it.   Period!

If ur a man
U need to get a certificate frim the mufti(cardinal) to attest u swore to convert to Islam
And that's it
Olivier

Sorry from wales....
I spoke as an american
My bad

Jazak Allah dolly....keep us in your prays...I'm born a Muslim so would probably state that on my birth certificate when I get it. So if 21 days is given valid tonthe birth certificate I guess it's best to request it a week or so before I go and is there also a timescale on the impediment or no?
I'm guessing all this seems straightforward until I get there I'm sure something else will pop up that I'm missing but I'm out there for two weeks and will try and get married in sha allah in a few days being out there as I want to relax and just spend time with my future wife so if you guy can think of anything which might help me while I'm out there give me the heads up please!
In regards to visitor visa to uk for spouse, has anyone had the experience or know the success rate etc

adrenaline786 wrote:

Jazak Allah dolly....keep us in your prays...I'm born a Muslim so would probably state that on my birth certificate when I get it. So if 21 days is given valid tonthe birth certificate I guess it's best to request it a week or so before I go and is there also a timescale on the impediment or no?
I'm guessing all this seems straightforward until I get there I'm sure something else will pop up that I'm missing but I'm out there for two weeks and will try and get married in sha allah in a few days being out there as I want to relax and just spend time with my future wife so if you guy can think of anything which might help me while I'm out there give me the heads up please!
In regards to visitor visa to uk for spouse, has anyone had the experience or know the success rate etc

Afwan - you will be in my prayers!  If the religion is not stated on the certificate then you will need to get this from your Iman or Mosque.  There is no timescale on the CONI.  Don't stress, once you have all the documents together it will go easily. 

Forget the visitor visa - it will be a no-go.  I forget if you are UK citizen??  If you are then just immediately apply for a spouse visa, much more success that way.

Yes I am a British citizen of Pakistani heritage.
Appreciate your response dolly and given reassurance that everything will go easy in sha Allah as I like hearing positive vibes :-)
Reason for visitor visa was due to the fact that I wanted the future wife to meet the family and do a more formal Islamic nikah as it would be too much to take my family to Tunis so bringing the future wife here for a visit made more sense plus at the moment my job doesn't meet the financial requirements as I'm a few grand off so till I get a second job then wait 6 months to apply I thought try her for a visit and as she travels a lot due to her job I thought she might not have a isssue as going in and out the country on her passport would work in her favour I thought but that's maybe something which I would ask from a legal firm once the time came.
The west are making things difficult for Muslims to come over here so at the moment majority of people don't even meet financial requirements so due to political parties changing no idea how firm and strict they will go further with this.

adrenaline786 wrote:

Yes I am a British citizen of Pakistani heritage.
Appreciate your response dolly and given reassurance that everything will go easy in sha Allah as I like hearing positive vibes :-)
Reason for visitor visa was due to the fact that I wanted the future wife to meet the family and do a more formal Islamic nikah as it would be too much to take my family to Tunis so bringing the future wife here for a visit made more sense plus at the moment my job doesn't meet the financial requirements as I'm a few grand off so till I get a second job then wait 6 months to apply I thought try her for a visit and as she travels a lot due to her job I thought she might not have a isssue as going in and out the country on her passport would work in her favour I thought but that's maybe something which I would ask from a legal firm once the time came.
The west are making things difficult for Muslims to come over here so at the moment majority of people don't even meet financial requirements so due to political parties changing no idea how firm and strict they will go further with this.

The world has gone mad really!!  Religion seems to be a huge problem these days which makes me crazy.  You know that a nikah is not a legal marriage here in Tunisia.

Interesting to hear about the nicah in TUNISIA...
Good to know

The world is a sane place only if there wasnt insane people reproduced and religion and belief is a beautiful thing if followed correctly, anyways thats another topic for another time!

yes im fully aware that nikah is not valid in a muslim country which is a bit contradicting but as a muslim it is valid on me so hence i want to fulfill that when the time is right.

there is no formality for nikah in Tunisia  as i was discussing eventually what i would want to do after registry...

adrenaline786 wrote:

there is no formality for nikah in Tunisia  as i was discussing eventually what i would want to do after registry...

If you want a nikah it can only be done in another country.  It is not legal here and is not performed.

What's nikah?

Out of the loop

islamic ceremony

yep im aware hence why i would want to do it back in the uk and alhumdiliah some good news today as the immigration are giving people other options if they do not  meet the financial requirements as its going against human rights to keep genuine families apart.

Hi ..I got married in tunisia last month....I am not muslim but my husband is ....You can make an appointment online for the british consulate ..you can get your certificate of non impediment from them ...they have to post notice of your marriage on the consulate wall for 7 days ..after this they will issue the cnimpediment in french ..You have to be in the country for 3 days before the appointment ....then you have to get your birth certificate translated too..from a translator there...We were married by a notary at our home ...also your medical certificates have to be got over there too..After the wedding the notary took a week to give us the marriage certificate ...then my husband had to run around Tunis and take it to 2 different government offices...where it is stamped by them ...And these offices are in tunis ....he was told that people from all over the country have to bring this document to the offices in Tunis...Oh I forgot to say ..the british consulate will charge 140 dinar to post the marriage and another 140 dinar for the certificate of non impediment.. You can get the certificate here in Uk ...but they have to post it on the registry wall for 4 weeks ...and then in Tunisia you would have to get it translated into French ...
I have to say the whole thing was not relaxing ...and is not cheap at the end of it ....But you could apply for a fiancee visa .which would allow your fiancee to stay in the Uk for 6 months and allow you to marry here ..and she would have to return after the 6 months....I got my info from the british consulate in tunis..I just emailed them and they responded in a day .....I hope this helps you

sorry for the late response and thank you for your input...i have already given my notice of impediment here in uk so will be with me on sept the 5th so in time for when i fly out on the 15th and have contacted the consulate who have provided me with a appointment for a few days after i arrive in sousse and yes i know it wasnt going to be a easy ride but hey when in life is anything easy! i guess what is destined for us will permit if its idea or not...yes i have thought about the fiancee visa but that would be time consuming as i think both of us want to just get on with this journey so as possible but will be looking to bring her here for a visit to meet family and friends and do a islamic ceremony here so will apply for tourist visa for her i think plus home office have just brought the new law in where applicants can have other things considered if they dont meet requirements as lots of families are being seperated due to this financial requirements.

ps im pretty sure it will be less hassle than trying to organise a big fat wedding back in uk where families just want to compete with other family ceremonies and who out does who which was never for me so running here and there sounds alot ease than trying to keep my family happy :)

Hi
well good luck with it all,,,,,,,I hope everything goes smoothly for you . :):)

yes good luck hope all goes well

adrenaline786 wrote:

ps im pretty sure it will be less hassle than trying to organise a big fat wedding back in uk where families just want to compete with other family ceremonies and who out does who which was never for me so running here and there sounds alot ease than trying to keep my family happy :)

........you think it's any different here in Tunisia??  Families spend thousands that they can't afford to put on a marriage!!  It's all on the surface here, status, image etc.

Was interested reading all this....but I just don't know how this applies to my case as a. ritish Citizen living a long time in the US with Green Card.
Do I apply to the UK Embassy here in DC?? Or what?  And what role, if any, does the US government play, since they issued my Green Card?  I feel between 2 worlds and don't know who plays the major role here.  My fiancee is living in Algeria

You are British not American.  If you want yo get him s visa it won't happen for the USA unless you are a citizen

Are you asking about a visa? If you want bring him into the U.S. through your permanent residentancy it is possible but is suggest you speak to an immigration lawyer to discuss your case. Visas to the US are handled by the US.

Nope - already read the rules - it says USCitizen OR a legal Permanent Resident holding a Green Card.  Not saying it will be easy, it won't - but a Permanent Resident of the US has same rights if u marry an Algerian as a US citizen

Hi ..I am a British Citizen and was married there last year...If your passport is British ..then you need to go to the British Consulate ...I had to produce my passport ..cos you have to be in the country 3 days before any appointment with them.
You will have to do a certificate of non impediment there ..where you will swear you are free to marry ...They will post this on the consulate wall for 7 days ...you can then collect it ...You have to produce for the Tunisian authorities a birth certificate ..less than a month old when they see it ...It must be translated into french ..if you would like to give me your email I can send you the letter giving info that the consulate sent to me ....You will need a few weeks to sort everything especially if you are marrying in Sousse ..You will also both have to have a medicall certificate done there by a doctor ...you just pay a doctor for this
Let me know if you need any more info
Thanks Jean

Sorry its a notice of intended marriage they put on the wall in the consulate ...that is left for a week ..You can book your appointment at the consulate by email

Thank you Jean for that info - my email address is:
I am living in DC with permanent Resident Green Card - but British Citizen with Brit Passport - do I wait until I get to Tunisia to get these documents from the British Embassy there - or do I get them at my local British Embassy in DC?
Thanks for offering your help and advice.
Nora

Moderated by Christine 5 years ago
Reason : please share your contact via your private message system. Thank you.

Good Afternoon,

I am due to fly out to Tunisia of the 12th of June & get married on the 22nd June.
I have booked an appointment at the British embassy in Tunis to have my CNI translated on the 18th of June.
Ideally I would of liked an earlier an appointment but reading above Im aware I would need to be in Tunisia 3 days prior to any appointment.

Also how long roughly does it take to receive marriage certificate once all documents have been given to the municipality?
I am also unsure what an municipality is?

Hi
I  got married there last year ..At the consulate you also have to post an intention to marry...they keep this and your CNI for 7 days ..You can then collect it from them and they will translate it into French for you ..both documents ..They will ask you where are you living and where is your fiancee living..all this is put on the notice of intended marriage .. Plus you will need your birth certificate which has to be less than 4 weeks old.....and you will have to find a translator to translate this for you ..you will both have to find a doctor to give you both a medical certificate ...We were married by a notary at our flat .....and she sat and wrote everything out for us ......she then took the document and my husband collected it from her after about 5 days .
He then had to take it to the government office in Tunis to get it registered with them ....Then he was given it
He was told that everyone in tunisia has to take the marriage certificate to get it registered in this office which is in Tunis....He said a lot of people were there from different parts of the country.all getting their certificates registered ..But you could ask your fiancee to check this ...
With your dates I dont think you have enough time ..cos the CNI and the notice of marriage takes 7 days ....Is it not possible to get an earlier appointment at the consulate .
I hope this info is of some help

Hi please my fiance he is an american and we plan to marry in tunisia .concerning the affidavit will get it from US embassy in tunisia but what we need paper to get it .and concerning marriage licence from where and how ?thank u

Make an appointment to get the certificat of célibat
All he needs to show is his US passport
And pay like a 150 tnd

You should go ask your local police department. As for the embassy they only need his passport.

Hi.
It's better if your fiancée emails the American consulate in Tunis not the embassy to ask what documents he needs and how he can get them ...I only know what the British consulate asks for ,and I got my information from the British consulate in Tunis. They should tell him all that he needs to marry there
Hope this helps

@Tunisiandolly

Hi,

Please can you advise me as to whether I have to be in Tunisia a certain period of time before I marry a Tunisian man?

Thank you