Considering a family move to Costa Rica

Hello all,

We area family of four with  2&4 year old in tow. Looking to simplify life but stay within a range that would allow us to do free homeschooling from the states since I've been reading about the expense of English schools abroad. I'm a dive master and feel I would be able to pick up a job doing so if we live in the right area but I know cost of coastal living is much higher. My husband is a firefighter and tree arborist with a great background in rope work which I thing could translate into a guide position for zip lining or other tourist activities. Trying to discover our abilities to have income after the move. I'm not tech savvy so looking for more manual positions. Just really want to simplify life and get out of the American rat race.

Suggest that if you haven't read the rules for living and working here legally, you should check the website out.
Firms are heavily fined for employing those with no work visas or is still a 'tourist'

mesmanaj wrote:

Hello all,

We area family of four with  2&4 year old in tow. Looking to simplify life but stay within a range that would allow us to do free homeschooling from the states since I've been reading about the expense of English schools abroad. I'm a dive master and feel I would be able to pick up a job doing so if we live in the right area but I know cost of coastal living is much higher. My husband is a firefighter and tree arborist with a great background in rope work which I thing could translate into a guide position for zip lining or other tourist activities. Trying to discover our abilities to have income after the move. I'm not tech savvy so looking for more manual positions. Just really want to simplify life and get out of the American rat race.

Hola Mesmanaj,

Welcome to Expat.com!

Keep in mind that you cannot legally work here until you have permanent residency which will take years.  HOWEVER, with the skills that you two have it may be different for you.  No, still can't work legally but as a U.S. certified dive master that may be different.  And your husband's skill as a tree arborist would be great to have here.  Something I've looked for in our area for years and really need.  You would need to physically be here, check around and do some research to find what might work out for you.

At the same time, keep in mind that salaries for either of these positions would be very, very low compared to that of the States.  An arborist here, if working as a skilled laborer, would earn the equivalent of about $6.00 per hour.  Would others agree?  No idea what dive master are paid here.

Firefighters (bomberos), actually do earn good money for CR.  But again, that would not be possible for a few years, you would have to be able to pass the certification test in espanol and from what I understand, there is virtually no turnover. 

Maybe not the best news, but hopefully it helps get you started on your quest!  🌴☀️

- Expat Dave
Expat.com Team Member