San Miguel de Allende or Lake Chapala ??

Thanks Barb.  I love city live as well as natural beauty, so glad to read your comments.  Didn't know there was an international airport close by.  I travel frequently so that's a big factor for me.

Looking forward to my trip there in February!

On the surface, it sounds like Chapala would be a better fit for you but you'll need to check out both to be sure. The lake is fine for kayaking and the kayak club here is very active with 3 outings per week. They even require newbies to the club to do a wet exit so they know that you have the required skills to re-enter. No ones died. :D

We have lived as retirees in Mexico for about 18 years  in both Ajijic on Lake Chapala and in San Cristobal de Las Casas, Chiapas. Very different communities. On the edge of town near the lake in Ajijic and in the historic center of the city in San Cristobal which is a densely populated neighborhood adjacent to a large indigenous community with heavy street traffic - both vehicular and pedestrian congestion.  We love both communities and experience no noise pollution in either place during the daytime or at night. Actually
, San Francico where we lived for many years before retiring, was a hell of a lot noisier than eiither Mexican community

This is really helpful, thank you.  We are right now trying to decide between the two places.  We plan to spend a month in SMA May/June, and plan to do a similar time in Lake Chapala area.  The downsides of Lake Chapala you mention are what we have heard from others, but we know it is a personal choice - you just know after some time what is right for you.  Thanks again, and if we end up in SMA we would love to connect.

very full with expats as well pricey areas, have you considered Merida area?
safest area in MX, full of history & culture as well very affordable with beaches close

After having spent time in both areas. my family and i decided we just liked the people better in Ajijic. The energy of the people we spent time with was just more relaxed. The people we spent time with in SMA were not our cup of tea. Just our experience.
I now run a Lake Chapala Real Estate office in Ajijic and we couldnt be happier. Best of luck to all of you

Hi!

I'm thinking of retiring to SMA on a budget.  Do you know of anywhere I could contact a potential US roommate who might want to rent a house together??  Sharing a space with a suitable roommate and splitting expenses would be a dream come true.  I only wish there would be an expat roommate service, like so many of them here in the States.   I've never even been to SMA, just jumping in the deep end.  Tired of living in the US.

kleerogers wrote:

dogs are a huge problem in many countries, I perswonally can not stand barking dogs, it's a total deal breaker for me

We live in an upscale gated guarded community and there are no barking dogs.

@Bubba2shoes Out of Ajijic and Chapala, which is the best for quiet retirement? We are just looking to be able to keep to ourselves, grow our own food(maybe have a couple of chickens) and be able to safely walk into a town for other staples. We don't need or want any big box stores or fast food joints. Basically a milder climate(don't like it too hot)  with good rain fall ( to water the gardens)  We are not into fast or fancy. What would you suggest?

@jedicat

I would tell you to check the north west side of the lake.  San juan cosala, chantepec and jocotepec area.  Prices are cheaper so getting some land with space for chickens and room to grow food would be easier.  Now alot less expats in that direction but that is also why we love that area too. 

We have been looking at land and house all over to get a good idea of the area since we moved down last year.  We ride our bikes almost 90% of the time and the areas I talked about above the traffic is much lighter then then north east part of the lake ajijij thru chapala. And it's alot less busy feeling.  Oh and jocotepec has a wonderful Malicon!
@alleycat1

Can you send directions or names so that I could see your gated community - where exactly is it located. We are thinking of getting a place in Mexico and am considering alternatives. thanks Ross
send me someplace to rent thank you
@promobabe

Thanks, promobabe, so much for your answer on SMA vs Chapala (a few weeks ago). It answered most of my unasked questions about the two places. Its really helpful to have a resource like this place, and people like you, to help those of us trying to make informed decisions. 
do you have any houses to rent in country
Hi TIMSEELEY58,

Who is your message sent to? Please do not hesitate to quote or name the member you are answering to. 1f609.svg

Also, if you are looking for a place to rent, you could place an advert on the Housing in Mexico section.

Vero
Expat.com team

@dennissira

Lake Chapala lacks the culture, the activities the food and the amazing beauty of SMA

@dennissira
Lake Chapala lacks the culture, the activities the food and the amazing beauty of SMA

-@goodman12

Lol ok the 2 chef schools here put out great chefs and some of the best food I ever ate. Lived in 3 countries and 12 states in the usa. Beauty hands diwn the like area.  The best review in ever read for sma called it the Disney land of mexico. But sure pay more for that if you wish. Sma is a rich wannaby land.