Selling a UK RHD Vehicle in Germany

Hi,

I'm interested to know if anyone has experience selling a British vehicle in Germany:

Ford Transit 2001 2.0 TD RHD UK Registered

- Did you obtain a comparative price to UK prices?
- Did you have plenty of interest?
- Did you only advertise on Ebay.de or elsewhere?

I see a lot of LHD French and Spanish-registered cars for sale here on Ebay.co.uk and they are usually about +25% prices, so I suspect there is some demand, perhaps for people with second homes, or people returning to their home country, etc.

If this is a similar situation in Germany, I would have some confidence to bring my vehicle over for a short time and then sell it in Germany.

Best,
Ben

There was a long thread based on a previous post from you so I wonder why you are back asking these questions. One has to see if it will even be allowed under safety and exhaust emission regulations. Then it would also depend on the condition and mileage but not sure who in Germany would want a vehicle with the steering wheel on the other side. And 2001 is pretty old. Look at www.mobile.de for comparable autos. Most I found from around the same age are going for about 500 Euros.

Ben,

There is a British community in NRW region. Perhaps it is only about 2000-3000 strong now. There are few closed FB groups where they sell RHD vehicles. The prices are pretty much in line with the Autotraders. Second hand market for vehicles in Germany is too high in comparison. Let me know if you are interested.

Hi and thanks for the reply! Yes I'm interested, please let me know how to subscribe.

@Ritchi888 hi Ritchi888, I know this is an old post now but I'd be interested if you still have these details, I'm in a similar position trying to sell a RHD car. Thanks!

Hello leafygreen,

Unfortunately Ritchi888 is no longer active and so he might not see your message.

However, you can still start a new discussion on the Berlin forum where you can ask about all your queries.

Cheers,

Yoginee
Expat.com team

I have a ford focus estate 1.6 diesil 2011 i want to sell fast ( MONEY PROBLEMS) in Frankfurt am main could anyone give me pointers

Vincent96: Place a classified ad on Ebay Kleinanzeigen - or sell to a dealer (faster, hazzle-free, but lower price).

There is a Europe wide company called we-buy-your–car that has been around for a few years. It is called wir-kaufen-dein-Auto in German - wirkaufendeinauto(dot)de. Unless there are obvious mechanical problems they will buy just about everything.

The question will be the price. I tried them about 4 years ago and had an initial offer of 2200 Euros for my car but after spending almost 2 hours there, despite having no problems, they said they would only give 800. I kept the car and sold it privately for 3200 euros.

Supposedly the initial offer is now guaranteed, so I think a lot of people complained about getting significantly lower end-offers. The plus for this company is that they have places around most municipalities and take care of the paperwork so one can be in and out the door in a couple of hours. I have seen ads on TV for a couple of similar operations but don't remember the names off hand.

And contrary to what Beppi wrote, I think most standard car dealers generally only buy cars as part of a trade-in when you are buying a car from them. This is why the other operations sprung up, to fill the market opportunity. 

There are also a number of websites so one can sell it direct. Autoscout24(dot)de   and mobile(dot)de  in addition to Ebay-kleinanzeigen(dot)de