Teaching Salary in Mexico

Hi everyone!  I'm an experienced teacher currently living in the U.S.  I have been a bilingual teacher for 8 years here, and am considering moving to Mexico.  However, I'm unsure what teacher salary expectations I should have.  Does anybody know anything about how much American elementary school teachers can expect to earn in the Mexico?  Thanks!

Contact the school

I have.  I'm just trying to make sure I don't get taken advantage of as a foreigner.  ;)

I don't think they would take advantage, but perhaps you should contact other schools in more than one area

Hi CCartwright3:
My daughter and her husband, both experienced ESL teachers with four year degrees from U.S. universities, just wrapped up a year of teaching English in Guanajuato. While they absolutely loved Guanajuato, the school and their students, the money was so horrible , they finally decided to leave. They were tired of barely scraping by month after month. They're headed soon to Japan, where education is highly valued and teachers are very well paid. So don't come to Mexico for the money. Come for the experience, the wonderful people and the deep, rich culture. If that's not enough, then I strongly recommend you don't move here. Buena suerte...Barb

Thank you Barb!  I took a Spanish course in Guanajuato and loved it as well!  I am definitely not planning on going for the money lol.  My concern is the fact that I have credit cards and student loans that need to be paid off in USD, so thinking I can scrape by on a few thousand pesos a month is just wishful thinking.  Thanks again for that info!

I would consider the DOD or State Dept schools.

My daughter & son in law are in a similar position. Pretty deep credit card debt. They just went further down the financial rabbit hole while teaching in Mexico. Like I said, they loved it. But love doesn't pay the bills.  :)

http://www.latimes.com/world/worldnow/l … story.html

But it's nearly impossible to get a teaching  job, unless you know someone, and illegal to work at any job if you're not a Mexican citizen and don't have a permanent resident visa.

From about $8,000 pesos to $16,000 pesos per month in a private school.

Thank you, I will check out the link. I have been offered a position with a school that will help me with the visa applications process.  I'm just trying to figure out whether or not I will be able to pay my bills on the salary offered. Thanks again!

I'd actually come across that article before. It's weird (and confusing) because I've also found a lot of information about how low teacher salaries are there :/. I guess I'm more interested in teacher salaries for foreigners anyway

Thank you!

ccartwright3 wrote:

I'd actually come across that article before. It's weird (and confusing) because I've also found a lot of information about how low teacher salaries are there :/. I guess I'm more interested in teacher salaries for foreigners anyway

Hi, I am not an expert but my understanding is the following : to get a foreigner salary, you have to be hired to provide services to foreigners.
In Mexico now there are more and more Mexicans teaching english to their compadres and our paid the normal mexican wages.

Buena suerte en su proyecto, GyC.

Not teaching English to foriegners in Mexico but teaching English to Mexicans with your native tongue [English].

Thank you!  I've been looking into international schools, but there is a huge variety of student populations at those schools.  Some have a lot of expats, while others have mainly Mexican students.  Either way, your information was definitely helpful!