Schooling in the Cayman Islands

Hello. I was hoping to get some advice on schools in the Cayman Islands. We are considering a move there and have two children, aged 4 and 2. We have spoken to some schools (CIS, Cayman Prep School, St Ignatius School and Montessori by the Sea), but they all seem to have quite/very extensive waiting lists. What are the other school options? There seem to be a number of quite Christian schools and we wanted to know how other parents have found these schools (we are not very religious and both come from secular education backgrounds). Is there any other way to educate your children if we cannot find a school we are happy with. Thank you very much in advance!

hi there,

have you had any response or outcome to this?

We are also now in the same position!

Local employers ordinarily help find schools for their migrant employees' children. I'm not up to date with schools' waiting-lists, but I've never heard of any child not finding a school!

Most of the private schools are Christian ones, though not evangelical. Are parents always happy with their kids' schools? Without some information on what will or won't make them happy, it's impossible to tell! I presume both these enquirers  have read The Resident - although they don't say so.

thanks for the response Gordon.

We genuinely do not have a Preference in relation to UK/US schooling system or Religious / Non religious, this issue we are having is that every school we are contacting have advised us they are full and have waiting lists for over a year..... so yes there is a very realistic possibility of our kids not finding a school!

I have read the Resident, its a great source of information. It's really only when you start drilling down into the application for schooling that you find it's more complex due to the sheer ratio of expats etc...

Daoin Mc wrote:

... every school we are contacting have advised us they are full and have waiting lists for over a year..... so yes there is a very realistic possibility of our kids not finding a school!

I don't know all the rules, but I've never heard of a child NOT being accommodated at a school. I have always believed that the laws require all children to go to  a school. Best thing to do is ask your prospective employer to enquire about space at government schools. I really don't think there's cause for concern.

I am in the same position with a 7 and 5 year old. When are you hoping to move?

Keep us posted on developments, Daoin and Betty. I'm sure your employers will see you right.

I haven't heard of a waiting list for private schools but I guess there must be in mid year. CIS is a great school. Classes are small. I teach at a government school. My class is also small. If anyone can afford it they go to private schools. Message me privately before you consider a government school if they would take you.
Government schools also highly religious. The whole island is. They are tolerant of other religions though. It's a Christian island.

Hi All,

Heading over in May (Husband is going in April) and we are still on waiting lists for Private school, Sept 2018 starts.

Preference is Montesorri by the Sea due to location or Cayman Prep but they are advising they are full.

Do you feel it may be easier once we are on Island and can go meet the schools in person?

Also, are school supplies common on the Island or is there anything we should bring with us??

Also, what do families do during the summer for childcare when both parents work??

Many Thanks

D

Daoin Mc wrote:

Do you feel it may be easier once we are on Island and can go meet the schools in person?

Also, are school supplies common on the Island or is there anything we should bring with us??

Also, what do families do during the summer for childcare when both parents work??

Yes it should certainly be easier when you are on the Island, but it would be best if your husband did it before you came. To some degree acceptance might depend on who your husband works for.

All school-supplies are available here. No problem.

There are plenty of activities for kids during the long summer vacations - although not all of them are free. If both parents are working all week, you will probably have to hire some home-help. There are agencies for that, I think.

Thanks so much for the response.

Yes my husband is visiting the schools in the next week or 2 and our employers are providing letters for us also to see if this will assist.

We have had the same response from EVERY private school on the island.... no spaces and waiting lists are full! Its a little scary as our children have to go to school come September!

Hopefully things will turn around and we will get it sorted as it is the only issue we have, everything else has been so seamless !

Thanks again, and of course if anyone else has any contacts or advise please do reach out!!!

How did he get on, Daoin?

NEWS UPDATE - August
Reportedly, there now is some difficulty finding schools for expat children - to the point where some expats have had to reject job-offers. I've no idea how long this is going to last; and it's certainly a shocking turn of events. For the time being, parents of school-age kids had better be sure they have a place to go before accepting a job here.