A series of questions about moving to Dominican Republic.

1) Is D.R especially strict about deporting U.S citizens living illegally in the country?

2) Can residency be obtained without a Valid U.S passport? Lets just say with only a original U.S birth certificate and valid drivers license. If not, can bribes be paid to obtain legal status/residency in the country?

3) How corrupt are the police?

4) What is the easiest and best paying jobs a Bi-lingual American can find without a work visa or immense amounts of red-tape attached to getting hired?

5) How often do power outages effect Santa Domingo and surrounding areas?

6) How many expats and/or locals can exchange U.S currency v.i.a wire-transfer?

7) Can Pay-Pal be used to send money for exchange for local currency?

8) How prevalent are armed robberies?

9) What is the typical price for renting beaches chairs and an umbrella?

10) How much would a nanny cost  monthly for a newborn?

First off welcome to the forusms.  Some of your quesionts lead me to belive that you are running from something and looking for short cuts which will lead you to problems here. Here are my responses:
1) Is D.R especially strict about deporting U.S citizens living illegally in the country? NO but it is getting harder all to time to live here illegally and you will need your residency and Cedula to avoid any problems

2) Can residency be obtained without a Valid U.S passport? Lets just say with only a original U.S birth certificate and valid drivers license. If not, can bribes be paid to obtain legal status/residency in the country?
No you need a valid passport from your home country and you need to start the process in  your home country

3) How corrupt are the police?
Pretty corrupt but you can get yourself into hot water if you are not careful

4) What is the easiest and best paying jobs a Bi-lingual American can find without a work visa or immense amounts of red-tape attached to getting hired?
NONE legally and pay here is very low.  If you are lucky maybe $400 a month and again you need your residency and cedula to work here legally.  Most places will not hire you without them

5) How often do power outages effect Santa Domingo and surrounding areas?
Depends on where you are living.,  It can be anywhere from hours a day to hours a week

6) How many expats and/or locals can exchange U.S currency v.i.a wire-transfer?
Wire transfers are easy once you have established an account in a local bank and again you need a valid passport to do so

7) Can Pay-Pal be used to send money for exchange for local currency?
Not sure but I don't think so

8) How prevalent are armed robberies?
Again depends on where you live and security.  Also flashing money or jewels will get you in trouble

9) What is the typical price for renting beaches chairs and an umbrella?
Somewhere around 200 pesos for chair and umbrella

10) How much would a nanny cost  monthly for a newborn?
I have no idea but I would it would depend on experience and if the nanny was a Dominican or not.

Hope these help
Be careful.  Getting into trouble here is not a good thing

Bob K

What do you mean that I have to apply for residency in my home country? Why can't I do that out there?

No read the thread on getting  your residency. You must start the application at the consulate or embassy (Dominican) in your home country.  So if in the US the process and initial paper work MUST be done in the US not here in the Dominican Republic. It changed to this process a few years back.

Bob K

I don't have time for all that -- My cruise leaves the beginning of next a month. I am leaving with just a birth certificate and DL. I do not have a passport. Any suggestions?

Maybach, If you have ENOUGH MONEY, you can buy anything here.
Yes, passport too.
NO, I don't know where to get it.
You are asking questions here most can't,or won't answer.
Mainly because our identities are public knowledge here. Sounds like you snuck off your cruise ship without your passport.
No offence here chum, but get back on your ship ASAP.
You don't want to spend time in jail here.
Sorry but that's just my opinion.
Tom.

It is perfectly legal to enter Dom Republic off a cruise ship with a birth certificate and passport.

Yes just like you can enter the DR on a plane with  a passport (birth certificate is not necessary to enter).  But in ALL cases you are here illegally after 30 days not matter if you jumped ship, flew, swam, took a yola or whatever.

It sounds like you are setting yourself up for problems.

Bob K

You said you did not have a passport

Bob K

Yes he said he only had a birth certificate & driver's licence.
Tom.

I am sure that with a little moolah these types of issues can be resolved.

Oh boy you are heading for big trouble.  I hope you sell you benz before you  jump ship because you are going to need a lot o mullah

Bob K

Trouble for what? There are tons of foreign illegals in D.R

Ok I am done....Good luck on your master plan.

Bob K

Whatever -- take your judgmental rhetoric somewhere else.

Nobody is judging you here chum.
We are just giving you our advice because
some of us have been in your position here.
So don't get your panties tied in a knot
over people just trying to help you, OK?
Tom.

I don't have time for all the bureaucratic bullshit to have to file all the residency paperwork in my home country. Whatever it is that I have to do, it will have to be done in D.R with a birth certificate and DL.

Yep sounds like a plan, not a very good one but it is a plan. It is always good to have a plan.

Bob K

Greetings:

I just discovered your "questions" and I sincerely advise you to obtain legal representation as soon as possible back in the U.S.  If your questions were legitimate (in other words, you were not joking while making your comments) you probably committed a series of legal offenses in the U.S., which include:

Mail Fraud (18 U.S. Code § 1341)
Wire Fraud (18 U.S. Code § 1343)
Honest Services Fraud (18 U.S. Code § 1346)
The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, among others.

I advice you to obtain legal counsel immediately and make some kind of sworn statement (in accordance to the laws of the specific state where you reside) stating that what you have declare in this post was the product of fiction, not a true statement, covered by the First Ammendment of the U.S. Constitution (Freedom of Speech).

And most importantly, NEVER DO THIS AGAIN.

Interesting advice Cpas.
Tom.