Airport

I always enjoyed flying into Puerto Plata airport, with its happy band to greet you.  However, flying out of the airport recently was more challenging.  My purse and my husband's carryon bag were individually and thoroughly searched.
While that was happening, I realized the airport employee had not given me back my passport/boarding pass.  Finally I realized he had given it to another employee, who "wanded" me.   
After we made it through all the procedures, we thought we heard my husband's name on the intercom.   Apparently his checked luggage had something "suspicious" and they needed to open the bag.  There was a large library book in the bag- that's the only thing they examined. 
Were we having a bad day- or are passengers with American passports getting extra attention?   I hate to think that. 
I know security procedures are needed, but courtesy, commonsense, and communication are also.

This will happen to anyone on rare occasions. Security was higher during the early part of September. Usuall this is done on a random basis
My wife who travels back to the US to see her Mom every few months had this happen on her last trip.
I would not fret you were not picked out because you were american but rather because your random number came up.

Bob K

OK.. Random? Happened to me and 6 others too the flight I left on Oct 21st. Same thing, Name on the intercom.. What could we be possibly smuggling out of the DR?  Can you imagine how many flights went out and if they pulled at least 6 peoples baggage from each flight... Random?

Sorry it happened to you. It has happend to us on more than on one occasion.  With the new travel rules and i admit sometmes nonsense it is to be expected,  No big deal. Hope you had a good trip anyway,'
Bob K

I'm glad they check some people out, if they didn't they wouldn't be doing their job!  I've had way worse experiences in The States, it's just part of flying wherever you go!

yes security at airports everywhere. I have a harder time with us security getting back into the united states. i have severals relatives that work for airlines at POP so i do not have too much trouble

Funny as crazy as security is back in the DR and US we found it interesting as to the lack of security in Europe.

My wife and I left the DR Monday for an extended holiday in Europe for this summer. In the last 48 hours we have been to 4 airports and had our passports checked ONCE (when we initially landed in Germany) and our luggage was never checked. And this was entering 3 countries.  With the EU countries it now is like traveling from one state to the next in the US.  I was surprised that there was no passport of customs clearance when we got to Budapest which is a non EU country.

Oh well I am sure we will go through a much greater check and inspection when we return to the "high risk" country of the DR later this summer :)   .

Bob K